cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't plusnet want to keep cuistomers?

ad47uk
Grafter

Don't plusnet want to keep cuistomers?

I have just seen an article about plusnet changing their packages and that their FTTC is now a 24-month contract, since I have less than 3 months before my contract runs out I thought I would have a look to see what plusnet is offering me they seemed to have added a 24-month contract, but what they have also done is increased the price of the 12 and 18 month ones., in fact 18 and 12 months is the same price, this is for 36Mb/s FTTC.

the prices they have put up for me is 24-month for £25.99 and put the 18 and 12 months both to £28.99.

They have put FTTP slightly cheaper, I presume they are trying to push us to FTTP, prices they put for me is 36Mb/s FTTP is £26.99 and so is their 74Mb/s FTTP. 146Mb/s is £36.99 and LOL, 300Mb/s is £32.99, so that is cheaper than the lower speed ones. No doubt offers to get me to got to FTTP, but all 24 month contracts.,

If plusnet is trying to keep me as a customer then they are not doing a very good job, I have been with plusnet since 2015, but for FTTC Now broadband seems to be the best bet, cheaper and only a 12-month contract. If I was going for FTTP then we have an Alt net here that is 12 month contract and offer 150Mb/s up and down for around £30 a month, first 3 months £19.

sorry plusnet it seems like I will be changing to Now broadband.

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Don't plusnet want to keep cuistomers?

@ad47uk 

Ring Customer Options on 0800 013 2632 before moving on. You should be able to negotiate a better deal.

I rang them a couple of days ago to renew a friend’s contract and the phone was answered within 10 seconds.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Hobby
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Hi,

My contract was up for renewal at beginning of May and I got an e-mail a few days ago from Plusnet advising of new prices etc.

Also it included an offer of Fibre extra (FTTC) which I am currently on @ £23.99 for 18 months.

Rang yesterday to renew and price was as offered. This includes phone line rental which I want to keep and would not be albe to if I went onto full fibre (FTTP) as Plusnet do not have any VOIP offerings yet.

Also was impressed at how quick the phone was answered as well, things appear to have changed.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Hobby 

"Also was impressed at how quick the phone was answered as well, things appear to have changed."

Do you mean that they seem to answer more quickly when they want your money as opposed to when they have already got you tied in and you want to complain or have a problem?

Surely not!  😉

Hobby
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Lol....yes I suppose that is a point but I did ring the normal number as well and they also answered fairly quickly. Maybe I was just lucky!

Previously they always took ages to answer regardless of what you were ringing about. Maybe I have been here too long with Plusnet (2004)!

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

@Hobby - Glad to hear you managed to nab the £23.99p a month price for FTTC as I saw the same offer but didn`t `click` on it early enough and had to settle for £25.99p a month for 18 months. 🙄 Maybe I should have called the options team but hey-ho.

My HUB 2 router is now in place and took three minutes to kick in when I switched it for my old one (I am still ADSL until April 9th) when my Unlimited Fibre will start. By the way, my fibre product won`t be Unlimited extra though, just Unlimited Broadband & line. Happy with that though. Plusnet for me offer so much more having a very helpful forum platform and a free customer phone line. It`s those little `additions` I feel make paying a little extra for a no brainer.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

To be fair, despite many reports on these forums of people having difficulties getting hold of Plusnet on the phone, I have never had an issue with that.

It was a factor I considered when re-contracting recently.

ad47uk
Grafter

I am surprised they did not try to push you to FTTP if that is available to you, as I am sure openreach is egging on providers to do that. I am not bothered about a phone as i already have Voip anyway.

My main problem are the 24-month contracts that have now started on FTTc, I really thought we have gone past these long contracts. as i have said now broadband offers a cheaper service on a 12 month contract,even monthly if you pay a fee at the start.

The other thing are the rumours going around that Plusnet will cease to be soon and will change to EE,.

plusmouse
Aspiring Pro

I only learned about this VOIP thing last year and because we have an existing telephone line (which I read yesterday by 2025 will be removed) and replaced by VOIP, either as a broadband package with a company who offer both together, or paying for a separate VOIP phone, which I`ve no idea about! 🤔 So that will be another learning curve.

I would ditch my phone line altogether but my Mother still needs it. I suppose time will tell by that yearly timeline who`s going to offer what in terms of Fibre Broadband only or Broadband including VOIP as a monthly package. And then I`ll possibly be looking at FTTP by then if FTTC goes the same way as ADSL. 

So, I`ll be with Plusnet for the next 18 months and hopefully beyond. But that will depend on whether we still want/need a telephone line/separate VOIP. 

ad47uk
Grafter

I have had VoiP for a few years now, I use sipgate, but i use an old package that they don't give to new customers. The only reason I have it was because i went from ADSl to a wireless network a few years ago and I needed a home phone, so my Father could phone.  when i changed to plusnet FTTC i kept the VoIP, but now my Father have passed away i could get rid of it. I don't use the landline at all.

Well i phoned Plusnet up today to see what they can offer me and they more or less offered me what is on their website. FTTc prices are more or less the same as FTTP and they won't drop on that and they will not drop the 24 month contract on FTTP.  So it looks like after 6 years i will be saying Bye bye to plusnet.

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 21

Hey @ad47uk, it sounds like you've not had a good experience with our Customer Options Team. This isn't something we like to see. Could you drop me a private message with what you are looking for, price, length, and package, I can give you a call and transfer you through to the department and explain to them what you're after. 
There are always different deals available and these change all the time. Depending on when your contract is up you could wait a week or so and try again as well. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

and they will not drop the 24 month contract on FTTP.  

installation costs for FTTP are higher than for FTTC, it typically takes an OR engineer 2 hrs compared to 1/2 hrs for FTTC. In order to keep the monthly price down , these costs are spread over 24 months.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ad47uk
Grafter

@MisterW wrote:

and they will not drop the 24 month contract on FTTP.  

installation costs for FTTP are higher than for FTTC, it typically takes an OR engineer 2 hrs compared to 1/2 hrs for FTTC. In order to keep the monthly price down , these costs are spread over 24 months.

Other providers will give a 18 month contract for FTTP. Onestream is a 12 month contract on their Supreme Full Fibre 115 at £26.95 a month. But as I sai before if I am going to pay that much then I may as well go with a Altnet we have here, 150 up and down, something Openreach network can't do.

I have said before i am not that interested in FTTP, but the prices that are being charged for FTTC now makes it not much cheaper than FTTP.  One stream is doing FTTC Onestream Fibre 55 for £22 a month, so I may look at that.

not really worthwhile trying again with plusnet as I will get the same answer.