Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS servers offline?

FIXED
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: No broadband

Thanks for being fair @djh22 - but mods are just customer volunteers and not staff.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chichman
Grafter

And where is this thread?
It's the main one about this outage..

It's tucked away in the "something else" section rather than front and centre in the broadband section...
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

It's everything else because it's not an issue with a customers connection per se - it was a PN backend issue which impacted both Full Fibre and xDSL customers.
It's still within the remit of the help with services and a staff monitored board and just as visible as any other thread.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
djh22
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Oops ! Yes I forgot that. Plusnet are absolutely rubbish 🤣😂.

Del.

mcacciagrano
Dabbler

Hi,

Did we get any Reason For Outage, and whether any mitigation is now in place? just to know whether we can expect a recurrence Smiley

rubymoon
Hooked

Is this really fixed?

I still can't ping any of plus.net DNS servers:

To set standard DNS server addresses
Primary 212.159.13.49
Secondary 212.159.13.50
To set alternative DNS server addresses
Primary 212.159.6.9
Secondary 212.159.6.10

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

I don't think the DNS servers respond to pings.  All of those are resolving DNS lookups though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rubymoon
Hooked

@pjmarsh wrote:

I don't think the DNS servers respond to pings.  All of those are resolving DNS lookups though.

Thanks - confirmed.

Seems weird to prevent ping test of the DNS servers... any suggestions on how to diagnose DNS issues?

It's quite painful to remove the backup DNS servers in my network just to see if the primary (plus.net) DNS is alive.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

A quick nslookup/dig specifying the DNS server.  That will tell you if it is returning the results and you'll get an idea of if it is taking a long time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

As @dvorak said "mods are just customer volunteers and not staff." so we're all very grateful for their help and knowledge;  maybe they can't even post in the "top" sections?

But the complete lack of information from PN staff is a concern. It still highlights an outage related to the Queens funeral almost  a year ago!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@pjmarsh   There were changes made to the DNS servers a couple of months ago and they no longer respond to pings. See this thread ..... https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Has-Plusnet-server-212-159-6-9-just-go... 

The existing DNS addresses are virtual and the system has been modified to point the addresses to a new DNS platform.

I wonder if the outage last night is in any way related to these changes. Will we ever know.🤔 @dave 

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

On a positive note, since the outage I "feel" that a lot of my web browsing is a lot "snappier".

There have been various comments for some time about the DNS service being a bit slow and that for example loading complex web pages with typically a lot of advertising links and can be tedious.

Anyone else feel it's better today?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

@RealAleMadrid, that was what I was thinking of, but without spending time looking for that thread I didn't want to commit.

djh22
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I agree HP

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

@HPsauce wrote:

On a positive note, since the outage I "feel" that a lot of my web browsing is a lot "snappier".

Same here.  In particular, ebay has sometimes been very, very slow to load for me, perhaps up to a minute for the whole page to finish loading (presumably all the ads etc slowing it down).  This morning ebay pages are loading near-instantly for some reason.  No idea if it's connected to last night's problem or not, but seems to be a bit of a coincidence if it isn't.