Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE

csogilvie
Grafter

Re: CCGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE

Quote from: Bob
We then allowed a certain period of time for customers to move their content across before flipping DNS.

Except you didn't flip DNS - you ruined everyone's existing links to cgi.username.plus.com at the time, so let's hope we don't do that this time?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: MauriceC
...............we ran in tangent alongside the old offering......

I hope this was a slip in typing Bob and that you really meant ...in tandem... Grin
We really don't need things going off at a tangent at the mo?

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
That'll teach me to contribute to forum threads this late on a Friday! Wink
Quote from: cso
Except you didn't flip DNS - you ruined everyone's existing links to cgi.username.plus.com at the time, so let's hope we don't do that this time?

I don't remember that Colin, don't suppose there's some archived forum discussion about it anywhere?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The thinking at the moment is that we do something similar to what we did last time. For those that can't remember that far back this involved having a second hostname for the new platform that we ran in tangent alongside the old offering. We then allowed a certain period of time for customers to move their content across before flipping DNS.

So the existing ccgi boxes are not being upgraded, what is happening is that a new platform is being provided running up to date versions of all the software. I presume that this means that shell access is never going to be restored to the current ccgi platform and anyone needing shell access will have to move across to the new platform.
Are we talking about a similar change to the one we had when we went from cgi to ccgi? If so what is the new sub-domain prefix going to be? (back to cgi?)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Will PHP5 be running in safe mode on the new CGI box?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: jelv
So the existing ccgi boxes are not being upgraded, what is happening is that a new platform is being provided running up to date versions of all the software. I presume that this means that shell access is never going to be restored to the current ccgi platform and anyone needing shell access will have to move across to the new platform.

That's a fair assumption.
Are we talking about a similar change to the one we had when we went from cgi to ccgi? If so what is the new sub-domain prefix going to be? (back to cgi?)

Yes, although the sub-domain has yet to be decided. We hoped to have access to the new platform today for testing purposes however I'm afraid the build has been delayed and we don't expect access until next week now.
Will PHP5 be running in safe mode on the new CGI box?

I don't know the answer to that yet I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Ponds
Dabbler

Any news on this? The  Service Status says there will be an update about cgi services on 1st October.
tex
Grafter

SSH is working for me, I hope it stays online.
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: inspiration3
SSH is working

Not sure that should have happened.
Gabe
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Ponds
Any news on this? The  Service Status says there will be an update about cgi services on 1st October.

Oops! sorry about that, I'll try and get an updae out later today although there's not an awful lot to add to what was announced in the last update I'm afraid.
Quote from: Gabe
Quote from: inspiration3
SSH is working

Not sure that should have happened.

No it shouldn't have and it's since been disabled again. A server we had isolated for testing was accidentally put back live.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

The service status posted at the top of this topic sort of implied that things would be moving along fairly quickly.
Quote from: Chris
We're looking to perform the first backend stages of the upgrade within the next few days. We'll advise you of any further timescales once they are available.
Once we have any further updates on this platform or more details of the upgrades we will post a service status update.

Have the first backend stages been completed or (as I guess a few of us suspected) it's going to be quite a while before the work is completed and the cshell access restored? (My feeling is that we will be fortunate if this completed this side of Christmas given the tone of Gricey's post which says the options are still being investigated)
I think an update with realistic timescales is overdue.

jelv, we're hoping to have something to play with next week. Once we're happy with the new build we can unleash it on the masses.

Then today we get another service status announcement:
Service: CGI Services
Posted: Thu, Oct 15 2009 at 14:50:18
Subject: CGI Platform Maintenance - UPDATE
This is an update about the state of play with our CGI hosting platform.
Development of a replacement CGI platform is unfortunately taking longer than we initially anticipated. Some refinements and further testing of the replacement servers is required before we can open the platform up for customer testing.
SSH and telnet access remain disabled for those accessing the existing platform.
We would like to thank customers for their continued patience and apologise for any problems that this situation may be causing you.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support

So from the original announcement on 25th August 2009* we are over 7 weeks on and they still are not able to give us a date when it will be opened up for testing. How long from then until it's sufficiently proved to be considered a live server?
My pessimism is beginning to look more and more like realism:
My feeling is that we will be fortunate if this completed this side of Christmas

I'm working hard on getting one domain with website and forums ready to be moved away from Plusnet hosting, once that's done I've got some personal projects to do that need php on my personal domain - and that I fortunately have on the PAYH 'trial', so I'll then be totally free of CCGI - YAY!
I'd urge anybody who is reliant on their website on CCGI (especially if it is a commercial site) to urgently look at moving to a proper hosting provider.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm working hard on getting one domain with website and forums ready to be moved away from Plusnet hosting, once that's done I've got some personal projects to do that need php on my personal domain - and that I fortunately have on the PAYH 'trial', so I'll then be totally free of CCGI - YAY!
I'd urge anybody who is reliant on their website on CCGI (especially if it is a commercial site) to urgently look at moving to a proper hosting provider.

I'm a bit confused by this statement to be honest. You cite that your personal domain is on the PAYH servers but they don't offer shell access either, meaning that they're not worlds apart from the Plusnet CGI servers as they are now Huh
What's the basis for you suggesting that customers urgently move their hosting away? I'm struggling to see how you've justified that. Is it because we're taking longer than we originally speculated to provide customers with an upgraded platform? (something that a few months ago we had no intention of doing any time soon anyway).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

PAYH (Plesk) has a file manager that means I can edit files directly on the server. It also allows me to use cron to do loads of other things including unpacking tars.
PAYH is a better platform and it looked like you had a good plan until someone scuttled the idea.
At least we get honesty from some Plusnet staff:
Quote from: Gricey
While I can't speak for the product guys or management here, the feel from the networks team is that the CCGI platform is very hard to maintain and until this work which has been driven by external factors, very out of date which compounds the problem.
There are a number of options being investigated -  personally I'd rather see us resolve any PAYH issues and move in that direction than maintain two similar platforms - PAYH from our perspective is more maintainable and easy to keep current.
(to be honest, I'm a rose-tinted fan of the CCGI platform having lived with it since 2001, but increasingly as a dept. we are having to think more in terms of long-term maintainability, keeping things current and reliable).
M
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I hardly think I'm being dishonest jelv, the business has made a decision and at this moment in time that decision is to explore the possibility of upgrading the current CGI offering.
There's a wealth of stuff to consider with regards to moving to a full PAYH solution. It would involve a shed-load of development work (which is focussed elsewhere for the foreseeable future), the current platform architecture wouldn't support the increased volume of users, then there's the training aspect given that PAYH customers are pretty much supported solely by Aaron and Kev in the Net-Ops team.
Gricey posted about his preferred approach but I get the impression that it's very much based on idealisms rather than realisms considering the stuff we're all working on at the moment. Try not to forget that we're currently in the middle of a network migration to a brand new data centre as well. This is far from a five minute job and is taking up a lot of the Network bod's time and resource (part reason for the amount of time taken for the upgraded CGI platform to emerge).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've never underestimated the work involved and was stunned at the optimistic tone of the posts when the new CGI platform was announced. From what you've said it looks like availability of the new platform is still some weeks away; that's why I think people should be looking elsewhere.
carben

I have been chasing an update via the questions facility.
I'm getting really annoyed that no one is willing to take responsibility to answer a fairly simple question - when will PHP5 be available.
I have a business account, and use it to host a low usege website which I want to update to a CMS.
My chosen product, in common with many others requires PHP5, which I would think is not an unreasonable requirement in October 2009 - unless you use plusnet as your ISP/Host.
I will very shortly use a hosted facility and remove my business from plusnet which is a shame because the internet provision and help facility has in general been first rate.
So a simple question - when will PHP5 be available?
Will I get an answer before I go?
Tony