cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Firewall/Static IP/RDNS Hostname.

OllieD

Broadband Firewall/Static IP/RDNS Hostname.

I have recently moved house and upgraded from FTTC to 900M FTTP.

Whilst on FTTC my account had the broadband firewall enabled which gave me a static IP address of 212.159.19.65 with a PTR record of OllieD.Plus.com along with it.

Since moving to FTTP this no longer seems to be the case,

My IP is currently showing as 150.143.89.157 and the PTR record shows as 157.89.143.150.dyn.plus.net which suggests I'm back on a dynamic IP.

Is there any way to get me back onto the 212.159.19.65 IP?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kind regards,

Ollie

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Re: Broadband Firewall/Static IP/RDNS Hostname.

Bizarre, the static IP component as a result of the broadband firewall is still showing as active on your account, however for some reason a dynamic IP is assigned to the connection instead. 

I can try to fix, but might have to provide a new static IP. Let me know if you'd be happy with this.

Also, it may be worth considering buying a static IP for £5 rather than relying on the broadband firewall as this only provides a static, due to the way the service works in the network. If there are ever any changes to the network, then a dynamic IP may be the new norm. Essentially, buying one is more of an assurance that it remains static.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ghamilton123
Rising Star

@Gandalf, im pretty sure he has had a static ip, due to the PTR being his broadband username.plus.net? no?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

He did, but it recently became dynamic. I can fix, but can't promise it'll be the same static IP. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OllieD

The static IP was handy for whitelisting myself on my various remote servers.

My router auto-updates the A record for my personal domain to point to my current WAN IP anyway.

I was tempted to buy a static IP but didn't want to lock myself down to always the same static IP.

I presumed that once I'd purchased a static IP I'd be stuck with that specific IP for the life of my account and unable to disable it should the need arise.

The broadband firewall method meant I could just turn this off if I needed to cycle my IP.

Happy for you to do whatever needs to be done to resolve this and If the static IP does change it's not the end of the world.

I was just surprised it didn't follow me through my house move.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me 😊

Kind regards,

Ollie

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah that makes sense. If you buy a static IP, you can remove and re-add it to change the IP, though there would be that £5 charge each time it’s applied.

I’ll take another look tomorrow and see if I can get a free static IP assigned for you on the back of the firewall. Smiley

(edit)

@OllieD we’ve re-added the static IP and if you can just reboot your router, it’ll be assigned to the connection. 

The IP is different, but the forward and reverse DNS will be the same, might take a few hours for propagation.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet