Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional internet line until contract end

MisterMike
Hooked

Additional internet line until contract end

Hi all, 

I'm currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra, the max speed at the time I could get was upto 45mbps. In the last year my area got faster network lines put in by MS3 group which is the first time we have had super fast internet available.

My question is this. Plusnet now offers upto 900mbps in my area so I'm guessing they would use that same network to provide my property so would that mean if I upgraded my speed that they'd need to drill into my property to put in a new cable from that line?

Alternatively, could I go with a different provider that uses that new line and just have that running alongside my current PN line until the contract ends which is end of May? As I'm paying almost £30 a month for this 45mbps but with another provider I could get 1000mbps for £25 a month.

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Additional internet line until contract end

My question is this. Plusnet now offers upto 900mbps in my area so I'm guessing they would use that same network to provide my property so would that mean if I upgraded my speed that they'd need to drill into my property to put in a new cable from that line?

MS3 are what is known as an 'altnet' i.e they provide their own fibre network. Plusnet will use the Openreach Fibre network to provide the up to 900Mb FTTP service.

Either way, you will need a new fibre cable connected to your property, which will involve drilling a hole for the new cable and installing an ONT (Optical network termination) , which is about the same size as the traditional BT master socket but requires a mains supply within 1m.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@MisterMike  Plusnet as a BT group company supply FTTP (Full Fibre) using the Openreach network. MS3 networks are an alternative network so not available from Plusnet. You could have a service from MS3 installed in addition to your existing Plusnet broadband. You would obviously be paying for both until the Plusnet contract is cancelled.

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 28

Morning @MisterMike, I've had a quick look over your address and currently you only have FTTP on Demand available which isn't a product we offer. I've had a look on the Openreach website and currently there isn't any time frame when standard FTTP will be available but you can ask them to keep you updated by searching for your address here: Fibre broadband | Openreach

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterMike
Hooked

Thanks for clarifying. I did wonder if that was the case as the only Fast internet we have in this estate was put in recently, as I say only in the last year and it was by MS3 so I did think PN may not provide if they don't use that network anyway. The PN website is offering upto 900mbps on my account page. I appreciate the replies Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MisterMike wrote:

The PN website is offering upto 900mbps on my account page.

@MisterMike - Can you post a screenshot of that here,

so that the Plusnet website team can investigate why that appears to be incorrectly offered.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@MisterMike I think Curtis was looking at a different account, based on the username showing in your forum profile. I believe I've found your account (by other means), and looks like we are able to provide you with FTTP.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to  Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@MisterMike 

One thing to consider if you use PN email addresses is you lose access the day you leave. Likewise any other add ons you have and your phone line.

Brian

MisterMike
Hooked

@Anonymous Looks like it was confirmed that it was correctly offered and PN can supply FTTP to my property.

All is sorted now thanks. PN customer service were great on the phone.

Thanks everyone for responses.