cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alternatives to Plusnet email?

stuck
Rising Star

alternatives to Plusnet email?

This question might actually belong under 'Everything else'.  If so, please can someone move to that section.

I really like the flexibility of Plusnet's mail system, where I can define as many addresses as I want and define those addresses as either an 'alias' or as a 'mailbox'.  Even so, I find myself looking for a third party provider.

Does anyone know of a third party email provider that offers the same flexibility as Plusnet's service?

My initial searching suggests having multiple addresses is not a problem but those addresses can only be aliases and thus all mail ends up in one mailbox and I'd have to define filters / rules to separate messages.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

Re: alternatives to Plusnet email?

@stuck https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting

Allows unlimited email addresses , which can be either forwarders (aliases) or mailboxes, only subject to the disc storage limit, depending on account type. You will need your own domain, if you havent already got one.

As an example, I have three domains hosted on the 'email only' account, totalling 11 mailboxes and some 80 or so aliases.

Shout up if you have any questions

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stuck
Rising Star

@MisterW Thank you, that looks promising!

seebee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

stuck
Rising Star

@MisterW I must be missing it, what sort of spam filtering does mythic beasts have?

@seebee Thank you but the mythic beasts service appears to be cheaper.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@stuck  it's basic rspamd https://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/hosting/mail/spam

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

seebee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

I only use the "micro" package $19/year (so similar to the others of £20/year with VAT).

IIRC another consideration - at the time I was experimenting with multiple domains too, which were trivial to add/remove on Migadu - I think when I tried ecohosting it was for only one domain total.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

think when I tried ecohosting it was for only one domain total.

that's correct! That's the main reason I moved to mythic

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@stuck wrote:

I really like the flexibility of Plusnet's mail system, where I can define as many addresses as I want and define those addresses as either an 'alias' or as a 'mailbox'.

Does anyone know of a third party email provider that offers the same flexibility as Plusnet's service?

Plusnet's service also offers CATCHALL which negates the necessity to specify aliases on the DEFAULT mailbox, which can be handy for the ad-hoc allocation of an email address to a new correspondent.  I NEVER give out a real mailbox email address.  That way if the address gets abused I can quickly quash the consequences.  However only the DEFAULT mailbox can be used for this.

Mythic Beasts as referred to by @MisterW also offers the same functionality (they call it Dynamic or "wildcard" addresses), however ANY mailbox can be configured to have CATCHALL functionality - see Managing email addresses - Mythic Beasts (mythic-beasts.com) - this allows the whole family to use dynamic aliases on their own mailbox.

stuck
Rising Star

@Townman wrote:

Plusnet's service also offers CATCHALL...

I know about that feature but I've never used it.  I've always explicitly created aliases as I've needed them.  Thank you though for the extra detail about Mythic Beasts.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@stuck if you have LOTS of aliases and decide to go with Mythic, its possible to create the exim .forward files for the alias offline and ftp them to your account. https://www.mythic-beasts.com/support/hosting/mail/advanced

In my case I created a spreadsheet with alias and corresponding mailbox names and a macro to generate the .forward files automatically.