Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TLS Certificate on IMAP Server 'imap.force9.net' to Support Outlook iOS App

neilhobbs
Rising Star

TLS Certificate on IMAP Server 'imap.force9.net' to Support Outlook iOS App

Hi,
I have recently tried to configure the Microsoft Outlook iOS app to communicate with the Force 9 IMAP Mail server 'imap.force9.net' - but it fails to connect,  I have been in contact with Microsoft who has told that the server doesn't appear to have TLS enabled on it.  Looking at the website http://www.checktls.com it doesn't have one.
Does anyone know if there is any plans to enable this security?
I am accessing the IMAP server from a Sky Broadband connection and I send outgoing mail through an SMTP2Go server.
I am accessing this server from successfully from within the native iOS Mail app fine, as well as Outlook 2016 for Windows install - so I know that my settings are fine.
I have asked Microsoft if there is any way to disable the requirement for using TLS - I am waiting for a reply from them.
Has anyone got a similar set up or can offer advice on how to get this working?
Many thanks in advance
Neil
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: How Do I Submit a Help Request to Plusnet for Deeply Technical Question?

Hi Neil,
That is to do with SSL support.  PlusNet do not presently support it.  You need to configure the email client to not use SSL.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Re: TLS Certificate on IMAP Server 'imap.force9.net' to Support Outlook iOS App

As per the closed thread;
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for coming back on this.
Transport Layer Security (TLS) is the replacement for Secure Socket Layer (SSL) - its is similar but different.
I therefore assume that as Plusnet doesn't support/provide SSL, they won't be supporting TLS either.  I have asked Microsoft how I can disable the TLS requirement, as the app doesn't appear to enable a user to switch off the requirement.
Is there a plan to implement TLS?
Many thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Neil
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

mod:note
merged reply in from locked thread to make things clearer
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: neilhobbs
I therefore assume that as Plusnet doesn't support/provide SSL, they won't be supporting TLS either.  I have asked Microsoft how I can disable the TLS requirement, as the app doesn't appear to enable a user to switch off the requirement.
Is there a plan to implement TLS?

Neil,
There is this protracted saga - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132198.0.html ; Shocked Roll_eyes Lips_are_sealed
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

neilhobbs
Rising Star

Hi Kevin,
Thank you for the update.
I have just seen.  I have only joined the forum today so I wasn't aware.  I have updated the main thread now.
This can be close down.
Kind regards,
Neil