Did you mean: 

Replies to Gmail accounts being rejected

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

Re: Replies to Gmail accounts being rejected

In that case I dont understand why its being rejected. Are you absolutely sure that your xxx.plus.com address is being used as the FROM address by your email client ? Can you see that address in the headers ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

exmouth
Dabbler

My From box only shows Tony Jackson.

I have looked at the Outlook settings and the 'Your name' and 'Account name' are simply Tony Jackson.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Try sending an email using webmail. That will eliminate Outlook configuration as a possible problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@exmouth wrote:

My From box only shows Tony Jackson.

I have looked at the Outlook settings and the 'Your name' and 'Account name' are simply Tony Jackson.

They are DISPLAY name values.  If on a sent item, you click that name, the email address should be disclosed.

exmouth
Dabbler

Yes the proper email address appears.

In response to the other posting about using webmail, I do not have that facility set up and in any case my problem only arises when replying to incoming emails. New emails are fine.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

@exmouth - Do your replies to all incoming emails bounce back or just to certain senders?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
exmouth
Dabbler

There are 6 recipients with google/gmail accounts in the group that I email and the these ae the only ones that bounce. Those to others with non google all get through. By email, I mean replying to emails that have come in from one of the group.. As I have said before, if I start an email to the group they all get through.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Couple more questions…

When replying to email bounces back but sending a new email works, is the content exactly the same?

Is it possible to login to webmail.plus.net and try replying to the email that way? Just make sure the sending address is your native Plusnet email, not the domain. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TonyN
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I’ve been trying to follow this thread (really, really have) as I share the Gmail bounce problem, but it’s beyond me as I have no knowledge of under the bonnet email stuff.

I use Pegasus Mail to send and receive emails and, although I have various Pluset addresses, I mainly use my own domain, hosted (for free)  by names.co.uk (was freeparking) with mail forwarding.

Would anyone be kind enough to provide an idiot level, more of less step by step, instructions for what to do, although from reading the thread I realise that might  just be ‘no hope’, which would at least put me out of my misery.

Incidentally, my use of this ISP goes all the way back to when it was enterprise.net in the Isle of Man and the first one in the UK to offer dial-up connections at local phone rate!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@TonyN 

I use Pegasus Mail to send and receive emails and, although I have various Pluset addresses, I mainly use my own domain, 

So first a couple of questions:-

are you using your domain email address as the FROM when sending mail ?

are you using relay.plus.net as your outgoing server ?

TonyN
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You are a light in the darkness MisterW: the answers are yes and yes.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@TonyN In that case you SHOULD be able to create an SPF record for your domain using the namesco Control panel that will define the Plusnet servers (relay.plus.net) as permitted senders.

Using the Namesco panel create a TXT record with the following in the Result field

v=spf1 a mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net ~all

This should help with how to use the control panel here https://www.names.co.uk/support/articles/changing-your-domains-dns-settings/

Forwarding incoming mail via Namesco may well still be a problem from some sources UNLESS Namesco implement SRS (Sender rewriting system) , which I doubt they do for free accounts

exmouth
Dabbler

The answer is 'yes'. I would like to send an image as proof but can't see how to.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @exmouth 

Sorry, was that an answer to my questions? Did you manage to try replying to an email via webmail?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
grahamt
Rising Star

@MisterW - your posts have been the most helpful things I've seen since I encountered the 'sending to Gmail from my Plusnet mailbox' problem. Thank you!

I use Plusnet's servers for my mail but have my own domain, hosted by Fasthosts. I can enter/edit my SPF record on the Fasthosts control panel. Fasthosts has its own standard SPF record which looks a bit different:

v=spf1 a ip4:213.171.216.0/24 ip4:77.68.64.0/27 mx ~all

I think that's good for its own mailservers but it doesn't cover mail via Plusnet servers.

What I've just done (trying to be on the safe side) is to incorporate your suggestion for Plusnet into the standard Fasthosts record, so that it now looks like this:

v=spf1 a ip4:213.171.216.0/24 ip4:77.68.64.0/27 mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net ~all

I'll find out eventually, of course, once my change propagates, but do you think this will work or should I take out everything from 'a ip4' through to '/27' (given that I don't use a Fasthosts mailbox) so that only the Plusnet info is in there?

(My problem is that I know a little bit about SPF but not enough to be competent!)