cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with sending email via Plusnet to Fasthosts Livemail SMTP server

RCFlyer
Grafter

Re: Problems with sending email via Plusnet to Fasthosts Livemail SMTP server

Yes, you're 100% correct; unfortunately FastHosts don't seem to have a clue and just keep denying it. The frustrating thing is that on the previous occasions that this has happened, their techs do something but they usually don't say what was done and they don't do it the next time it occurs.

They run their own PBL but it's based on Spamhaus lists, so it is almost certainly affecting a lot of people.

This is the latest message I've recived from them:

Fasthosts do not apply PBL, it is Spamhaus or Sorbs who enforce them. It is the ISP who controlled the listing. < quoting the below information you provided on other ticket >

It is the policy of Plusnet Plc that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Plusnet Plc customers.
I can only assume that Plusnet provided you dynamically assigned IP, which is effective in managing mailouts coming from their IP. Normally if an IP is being captured to have massive activity, an ISP will auto blocked it - this type of blockage normally will be lifted 24hrs after.

Seriously, they think Spamhaus apply the PBL? They really are clueless. The bit about the outbound mailservers is great, they really have zero clue about how emmail works!
RCFlyer
Grafter

I just respoinded to them telling them again that they don't understand how a PBL is supposed to be used; I added this at the bottom of my reply:

"At what point will you start paying me as a consultant? I'm paying a significant sum for very poor service and, I suspect, my advice is worth even more than that."

😁

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Question: which port are you using on their SMTP server?

Would you know if when it worked you had the same external IP address as you had now?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RCFlyer
Grafter

I have tried all possible options, some don't respond and others give me the same authentication error. Currently using 465, but 25 and 587 are the others I've tried.

My IP address has changed since the last time this happened, how can I tell when my IP address was reset?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Only by checking it regularly.

There’s no way you can determine when it was changed historically.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Definitely not my place to stick my nose in but I'm inclined to start badgering them because I'm equally frustrated by what I'm reading. Give this thread a nudge next week and I'll start making a 'nuisance' of myself Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bobpullen 

Thank you for being willing to go that extra mile - above and beyond.  It was only in sheer desperation that I tagged you in the spirit that given Plusnet is getting the "blame" here from a third party, an end user is not likely to make any progress here without some assistance from Plusnet helping to educate another bit of the industry, who seeks to put the blame on the shoulders of the wronged party.

There seems to be various issues with Fasthosts - my church abandoned then as our hosting provider recently because much of our outbound mail to @outlook, @hotmail, @btinternet and @yahoo was ending up in trash folders or not being received at all.  They were not able to offer support to resolve the issues so we switched to cloudhosting.uk

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@RCFlyer - are Fasthosts still rejecting your outbound mail?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RCFlyer
Grafter

No, it's started working again.

I am intrigued!

Just checked the support ticket and they've deleted it! That's an admission of guilt if I ever saw one!