Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

colintivy
Rising Star

Re: Problems with Webmail

Hi folks!

The standard wait for a connection for emailing is well and dozing today. I foolishly ordered a new computer this morning to pass the time! It only took an hour and a half to actually see the seller's website and make my choice. Their delivery time is nice and short!!

Crazy2

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@colintivy wrote:

Hi folks!

....... It only took an hour and a half to actually see the seller's website and make my choice. Their delivery time is nice and short!!

Crazy2

What's that got to do with webmail? If it takes you 1.5 hours to view a website, that suggests you have a problem with your broadband, not webmail.

vanessen
Rising Star

I'm expecting a new password for an important site, by email.

Today there is no access to webmail at all - cannot even get the list of the first page of the inbox. (I checked broadband speed - perfectly normal.)

Plusnet's webmail is absolutely and completely useless - worse than useless in fact.

Plusnet has completely failed to make any progress on this webmail problem for the past year.  They are not attaching any importance to it.  Plusnet is giving very, very poor customer service and I will tell anyone that this is the case.

AmigaMan
Rising Star

Totally bizarre isn't it as my access to Webmail isn't too bad today. Tomorrow it will likely be terrible as usual. Oh yes, every time the question of broadband providers etc has come up at work I always warn people away from PlusNet. I used to recommend them at one point. No more.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

What's the problem with just using a mail client on your PC / Smart Phone / Tablet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

vanessen
Rising Star

I'm asked, what is wrong with IMAP or similar?

We have family abroad in 2 other countries and make other trips abroad and we don't want to haul a PC everywhere.  I use a smartphone on WiFi when abroad and in theory all the emails are on the provider's reliable servers and always accessible.  That is why a pure webmail service was attractive.  (Even if the storage limit at 1GB is low, two of us can manage that, provided that people don't send us lots of large photos.)   Now that Plusnet's webmail is no longer accessible when we want it, we will have to make other plans and these will not involve Plusnet.  We have to move our domains away anyhow, as Plusnet is closing its domain registrar Just-The-Name from the end of June,  Other free webmail services such as gmail come with 15GB of storage, and there are good (but not free) webmail providers with excellent service, no Google-like problems and even more storage. Have I missed something?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

You could access your email on your smart phones using an IMAP client.  Indeed using IMAP (rather than POP3) you can readily access the same email on multiple devices as well as webmail.

If your domain already points to your PlusNet email service, there is no need to change your mail host.  You only need to move the registrar ... there is a comprehensive thread on this elsewhere.

Webmail is particularly diabolically bad today.  I do wonder if the various "its bad", "its OK for me" confusing reports have anything to do with which gateway a user is connected to and which data centre webmail service one connects through to.  There is not a single webmail service and there are multiple routes to each instance of the service ... to say nothing of the connection routes to the IMAP servers.

Using an IMAP client avoids a lot of middleware between you and the IMAP service / file store where your emails reside.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

colintivy
Rising Star

@MKSlinky

Sorry about my last post re my Computer order which raised your eyebrows! You are quite right on the face of it. The email issue arose because a raft of emails were needed to complete the order and the present situation got in the way.

When I finally contacted the firm, they quite understood and I will have the new computer next Tuesday!

Thumbs_Up

Anon
Pro

Pity you can't have a decent email supplier to match the new puter.

Mine has behaved itself, but I have taken the important areas that use my email away from Pnet and onto gmail.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
Anon
Pro

Back to slow.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@colintivy wrote:

@MKSlinky

Sorry about my last post re my Computer order which raised your eyebrows! You are quite right on the face of it. The email issue arose because a raft of emails were needed to complete the order and the present situation got in the way.

No worries, just thought you might have posted in the wrong forum. Glad you got it sorted in the end and your new PC is on it's way. Thumbs_Up 

colintivy
Rising Star

@MKSlinky

Thanks anyway. Glad to say that emailing today seems to be a bit better here. Quite like the old days!!

Regards,

Colin.

vanessen
Rising Star

I am trying to send my current emails to my account at my alternative webmail service, so the historic emails will be there as well as new ones.  And today, the service appears to be working quite fast.  Great, I thought...

BUT...

...most of the time, the forwarded emails go across WITHOUT THEIR ATTACHMENTS!

This has been mentioned ocasionally but is dire now.  Making the whole exercise impossible - to say nothing of ruining normal forwarding of emails to other people.

Is this terrible new problem part of the same fault, or a new thing that Plusnet is failing to acknowledge or fix?

Rob, others - tell us what's happening please!

bazzer
Pro

Ahhhh, I received a letter today from Plusnet. As I'm part of the Plusnet family they'd like to offer me to become a member of the Plusnet Mobile family too and join them as a mobile customer.

Nearly bought a tear to my eye.

Would have bought shed loads of tears if I was stupid enough to take up the offer and receive the same level of service with my mobile as I'm getting with Webmail!

Ordinarily it would have been quicker for them to contact me by email but I guess they realised that snail mail would be more successful and likely to be received.

AmigaMan
Rising Star

I received that letter also. At least they didn't phone me at work this time.