cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problems with Webmail

I know what you mean @Strat and thankfully none of us are perfect, I used to work for an ISP in the Netherlands and I remember faffing with a database that thanks to a misunderstanding (read stupidity) I trashed. However, due to the content it didn’t go unnoticed and thankfully it was easily recovered but it was a long time before the digs and jibes stopped.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

We're not getting much feedback on Facebook on Twitter compared to earlier this week, so I suspect that it's generally behaving a bit better for most people today.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may well be working for the majority @MattyC but there is a minority, of which I include myself, that still cannot get access. Thankfully for me this really isn’t an issue but I suspect it may well be for others so keep up the good work and we’ll hopefully all have a resolution soon. Thumbs_Up

bazzer
Pro

@MattyC The weekends have always seen an improvement compared to the week so I would assess the impact of any works by the end of next week. Today is the best it has been for some time.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

well all looks ok Thumbs_Up

MattyC , How come it took so long just to fix a lack of memory ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bazzer
Pro

I'm not getting my hopes up until it's experienced Mon-Fri traffic.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@MattyC wrote:

We're not getting much feedback on Facebook on Twitter compared to earlier this week, so I suspect that it's generally behaving a bit better for most people today.

Last weekend was really fast too, 9.05am monday morning it was somewhat slower again though 😉

pwilliams62
Dabbler

Why should webmail work better using an email client? I thought that emails from my webmail addresses would still have to be transferred from the PN server to my PC whether it goes into the client or gets displayed my screen? Am I correct in thinking that if I used gmail I would have to a send a brand new gmail address to everyone who has my PN webmail address. Just trying to redirect PN emails to my gmail account would be the same as sending them to me in the first place.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@pwilliams62 wrote:

Why should webmail work better using an email client? I thought that emails from my webmail addresses would still have to be transferred from the PN server to my PC whether it goes into the client or gets displayed my screen?

1. I have no knowledge how the webmail software works but it seems to be connected with the generation of the email listing - I've certainly found and others have corroborated the fact that the fewer emails you have i8n a folder, particularly the Inbox, the best the performance is. i.e. it isn't listing out a lot of email titles. That doesn't happen with a client which simply downloads unread emails. My phone has been working perfectly throughout the period - albeit it seems that some emails are also being delayed so they sometimes arrive out of chronological order.

@pwilliams62 wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that if I used gmail I would have to a send a brand new gmail address to everyone who has my PN webmail address. Just trying to redirect PN emails to my gmail account would be the same as sending them to me in the first place.

2. Yes, unless you're using a domain name system as I am you'll have to advise all your contacts and change all logins that use your email address. A tedious task. I avoided that by immediately registering two domain names when I first bought a connected home computer in 1998 so since then I've always used the same email address, merely changing the redirection each time I've moved ISP, a process that takes less than a minute. At least by switching to a gmail address you can avoid the problem in the future if/when you switch from PlusNet to another ISP.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well @MattyC I am pleased to report that I can now get access to webmail from both accounts. So it looks like all the hard work has finally paid off, so thanks to all those involved. Smiley

EddieB
Grafter

Hopefully the problem seems to have been fixed.Webmail running OK this morning. Fingers crossed.

SJ68

I have been watching this thread with interest because I've also been having a lot of problems with Webmail for some time now. I was all set to post something yesterday but then things started improving...

Last night my email was practically back to normal so I hoped that was the end of the problems. The last couple of posts on this thread suggest that all is well with Webmail now, but sadly I am still experiencing problems today...granted, it's a LOT better than it has been but I'm having difficulty loading folders...earlier, I was able to load my inbox but it is now showing as empty again & I am still getting the dreaded “server error” message.

This has become beyond frustrating now. I appreciate the engineers are doing their best to fix things but it is really dragging on.

Budapesti
Dabbler

I have a somewhat related technical question for any techies around. Will Thunderbird work OK with one POP account and another set up as IMAP? Due to the current PN email difficulties (deliberate understatement!) I need to use an existing Gmail account and want received messages to download to Thunderbird. To do this the Gmail account must be set as IMAP, so presumably the corresponding account I set up with Thunderbird should also be IMAP. I had loads of difficulties 3 mos. ago trying to change my personal domain account at Tbird (served by PN) from POP to IMAP, and eventually reverted back to POP. So I'll want to keep that account as POP but start a second one from Gmail as IMAP. I wonder if Tbird can manage this without confusing the folder system.

Fantasticfourum
Aspiring Pro

Like everyone else things are greatly improved but I think I will reserve judgement till around 4pm tomorrow when the kids are home from school that is when I seemed to have the worst problems. If its ok I wont be back on here again so Happy Christmas to all my fellow sufferers and lets have a Good time and forget about e mails.

"Why is it so hard for women to find men that are sensitive, caring, and good-looking?
Because those men already have boyfriends"

Make someone smile today and the world will be a better place

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@Budapesti
Thunderbird will work with any number of mixed format accounts. Each account will have a corresponding folder.
Although, Gmail has changed recently and the last time I checked (a few months ago) they are now blocking access from Thunderbird. Not secure enough, apparently, sounded more like they wanted to push you on to using their official (ad ridden) outlets.
That's RPM to you!!