cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please confirm PlusNet no longer allowing new email boxes

deekayw
Grafter

Please confirm PlusNet no longer allowing new email boxes

One of my referrals has half a dozen Plusnet email boxes.  Spent ages this morning wanting to change password of one of them and kept getting Invalid Password referring to the characters that can be used.  I know each password I tries was ok

SO

Went to create a new additional email address and got the same rejection

Called HelpDesk and, after another half hour, was advised no longer support new email boxes - Can someone confirm this is correct please as i've not seen any announcement about it.

Thank you

Kev

14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Please confirm PlusNet no longer allowing new email boxes

@deekayw Having checked my (email only) account, it looks like that is now the case. Probably because, as has been hinted elsewhere, PN are going to discontinue email support entirely in the (near?) future. Must admit this is a recentish change - I had the option a couple of months back.

John
deekayw
Grafter

Thanks again John

At least I can sort them out with gmail or something.

Cheers

kev

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@jab1 @deekayw is the option to add mailbox still there on your accounts ?

if so, does adding give an error or just not work ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Unless I missed it, after quite a long perusal, there is no email tab/option whatsoever.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

I've just tried it, just to test it out, and it looks to work for me

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@pjmarsh - how did you find it?

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

@jab1, when logged into the Portal, Manage Account > Manage your Plusnet mailboxes

jab1
Legend

Cheers - it has moved from a fairly prominent position  on that page to one considerably less so, but I found it.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@deekayw despite the password requirements being shown as any 8-16 characters from the various categories , it does seem to insist on at least 1 from each category.

Called HelpDesk and, after another half hour, was advised no longer support new email boxes

That is the case for recent accounts but legacy accounts should still be able to. CSC probably weren't clear on that.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

For example, from the testing just conducted by a couple of the super users - "Test5Test" passes length, upper case and a number requirements, but does not include a special character and so appears to fail the password strength checking.  "Test#5Test" does however work!

deekayw
Grafter

Thank you Townman

New email created and working using your suggestion

Lev

deekayw
Grafter

Hi

It gave an invalid password message.  Sorted now with Townman's suggestioin that it now requires all 3 elements Upper case, Lower case and special character, rather than at least one of each.

Thanks everyone

Kev

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Indeed, the EMAIL password guidance states:

The password must be 8-16 characters long. This can be made up of letters (a-z) or (A-Z), numbers (0-9),
and any of the following symbols: !#$%&()*+,-./:;=?[]^_`{}~.

Whilst the rules for the account password states:

Rules for password change
8 - 16 characters
Upper and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols
The following symbols are allowed: !#$%&()*+,-./:;>=<?[]^_`{}~

Note the difference in the special characters.

HOWEVER nowhere in the guidance is there a statement of what combinations a password MUST include - the rules are simply expressed as OPTIONS.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A request has been raised to add the following to both the ACCOUNT and EMAIL password change pages:

The password must include at least one each of: lowercase; uppercase; number and special characters.