cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2021 setup for PlusNet mailbox

jvdavis
Hooked

Outlook 2021 setup for PlusNet mailbox

I have recently purchased MS Office suite 2021 and have installed it without any issues.

Unfortunately, I am completely unable to get my PlusNet mailbox to operate normally, no matter how many different configurations of setup I try!!

I have attached a PNG file showing the latest setup I have configured.

With this setup, I am able to send emails from my mailbox, but cannot ever receive an email?

I have been trying to get this to work for several days now and am completely demented.

I am actually considering uninstalling the whole office suite and going back to my earlier (2010 ) version, which was so much simpler to setup.

Can anyone offer any advice/help please?

13 REPLIES 13
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Outlook 2021 setup for PlusNet mailbox

Hi.

When you say you cannot receive emails, do you get any error messages? With IMAP, you never really receive the email, you just connect to the IMAP server. 

Does Outlook show 'Connected' at the bottom of the screen?

The settings you shared, are the same for my IMAP settings, just make sure SPA (if you've got the option) is *unchecked* 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

The absence of an error message would point to a different issue.  There can be issues with IMAP folder synchronisation (receipt of emails into the local client).

If there are no errors reported and you can SEND emails, go check the IMAP root folder setting and set it to inbox.

The re-query the IMAP folders and see if the inbox is then populated (downloaded to your device) .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jvdavis
Hooked

Thanks for trying to offer advice.

I don't ever get any error messages.

There is nothing at the bottom of the screen to say "connected"?

I don't think I was ever offered the opportunity to check or uncheck an SPA option during setup procedure?

jvdavis
Hooked

Sorry, but I don't know anything about an IMAP root folder ( where it could be located) so unable to try your suggestion?

I have just returned to my desktop and when I select the option to "Manage"  my email account, the system simply states that I am offline and need to connect to the internet to update settings?

I am obviously online as I am able to access the internet as normal, so do not understand that message at all?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

SPA is not relevant / required - it can be found here - 

Screenshot 2023-12-11 154935.png

The inbox root folder setting can be found here ...

Screenshot 2023-12-11 155215.png

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Is OUTLOOK accessing multiple email accounts, notably including @hotmail or @outlook?

These service can go off-line and will report as not connected, where clearly you are.  I frequently see my @outlook.com account report connection problems alongside everything else working normally.

Try closing down Outlook and restarting it.  Failing that restart the device - sometime Outlook seems to have issues with the machine's logged on to Microsoft status.

jvdavis
Hooked

I have tried to Google for information on Outlook 2021 IMAP folders and many sites state that I should open Outlook and click on "File/account settings from the drop down menu?

However, this is obviously rubbish as Outlook 2021 does not have a "File" Tab at the top left so its not possible to get into account settings this way as it is with earlier versions of Outlook?

jvdavis
Hooked

Yes, I have several email accounts( Outlook/gmail etc)

Shutdown/startup cleared that issue thanks

jvdavis
Hooked

Thanks for your further advice--however, there is no option to access any of the type of settings your photos show with Outlook 2021.

Outlook 2021 does not have a "menu" tab  anywhere which might allow me to access such settings you describe.

The only thing a user of this piece of total [-Censored-] can do is right click on the mailbox name and select "manage account", which opens up a box allowing deletion of mailboxes or addition of new mailboxes.( you cannot change settings at all )

Every time i try to change my mailbox settings, I have to delete the mailbox  and then add it again, entering whatever changes 

I might like to try.

This has to be the worst application Microsoft have ever produced !!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Are you running "Try new Outlook" mode?

See the bottom of the first page here Where, Oh Where, Is the File Tab in Outlook 365??? - Microsoft Community - you need to open the replies first!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Is this PROPER (paid for) Outlook365 or that excuse for Outlook which is part of Win11?

...further down that thread ...

"We've had a few people reach out regarding the New Outlook experience, mostly about changes and items missing.

Currently it's in an early release stage, so it's missing a good bit of the functionality of the Outlook we've been used to for quite some time.

As yourself and the forum posts have mentioned, there is currently no File tab. Other important features such as the ability to import/export .pst files for mail and contacts is missing, and you can't have double spaced emails for viewing, just as some examples.

Microsoft will be implementing features back into the new Outlook that were not ready for it's initial release, this is more like a trial run to gauge feedback on the new UI and layout, which is much more akin to Outlook on the web. Outlook on Mac has been going through a similar release for the past year or so with features being added gradually before finalization. 

For the time being, if you need to access missing features, such as import/export, we recommend using the Classic Outlook experience until the new version is more fleshed out and finalized. There's no ETA on the rollout for the finished product, but the classic Outlook will continue to be useable for the foreseeable future."

So the hint there is to turn off "New look" Outlook!

jvdavis
Hooked

This is a paid for version of MS Office 2021, not anything to do with Outlook 365 or Win 11.

I have just decided to bin the whole thing and install my Office 2010 again as I am obviously not going to resolve the issues at the present time--- this latest version simply does not work and need s to be sorted by Microsoft quickly! 

Why would they even release some thing that clearly is not ready for distribution?Huh

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried switching off "New look" mode?

You might have issues with TLS security issues with Office 2010.  IIRC Office prior to 2013 does not support current security standards.

Try reading some Google results on the issue - here is another MS Support thread on the matter - 'File' and other toolbars in new Outlook 2023 - Microsoft Community