cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2016 - again!

chattan
Hooked

Outlook 2016 - again!

I recently made the mistake of assuming I had a problem when I was not receiving e-mails - turned out it was a Plusnet problem, quickly fixed.   BUT, in the meantime, I had tried "repairing" oune of my two Outlook accouonts, and have been unable to set this account up ever since.   As always, Plusnet cannot help other than to tell me the necessary settings, which I am using, but keep getting an error page for the server mail.plu.net, telling me it cann9t log on using he user name nad password (booth of which are, in fact, correct as I can log on using Webmail)

I am using

Incomg : mail.plus.net - I have tried ports 110 and pp5, with or without SSL/TSL.   I think the outgoing server is irrelevant, as it's this server which is objecting.   There was a Win10 update round about the same time, so I think there may be a  connection!

Can anyone help?

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Outlook 2016 - again!

@chattan  Welcome to the forum

These are the settings for Outlook 2019 I don't know if 2016 is different.

Go to Outlook Account Settings.

Select the account

Select Repair

Select Advanced Options

Select Let me repair the sccount manually

Select Repair

Username: your account username on its own, nothing added.

Password: account password

Select remember password

Server: mail.plus.net

Port 995 (for POP3)

Select this server requires  an encrypted connection (SSl/TLS)

Select Next

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

chattan
Hooked

That's what I did initially, Baldrick!   Thaat's where it allwent pear-shaped!

However, I've just tried again, for the umpteenth time, using EXACTLY the same settings, and, surprisingly, it's worked!!

I am surprised, however, to find that incoming e-mails are not going into my in-box.   Rules are working, dverting some to toher boxes, but I don't see the ones the rules shoouldn't affect coming up in my in-box - not sure where  they are going?   A bit strange, can you comment?

chattan
Hooked

I find the account is being labelled myemailaddres (2).   That's odd - I expect that to ahppen ONLY when an accouont is inadvertently duplicated, but there is no account to be duplicated!   Is tthis where receiving is going wrong?   Is it parking my incoming e-mails somewhere I know not where?   How could I fix that?

I tried repairing the account again, but there is no option to get rid of the (2), although, again, it worked OK.

chattan
Hooked

Oh, I should have added that test messages still don't come in to my Inbox, although any one which is also sent to my other address, which ahs a rule to divert it into another folder, DOES appear in that folder.   So, I'm receiving e-mail, but it's going somewhere stragne, possible because of this (2)

chattan
Hooked

I found out how to get rid of the (2), by using Outlook's File, Account Settings, but it hasn't changed where messages go - they STILL don't show up in my Inbox

chattan
Hooked

s from Sunday!   And Outlook IS sending mail out correctly on this account - I can see it being received in Webmail (test message).   However, Outlook is either NOT downloading messages from the server, or downloading them and putting them somewhere other thatn the file it is set up to put them in.   What to do now?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@chattan 

In Outlook process all emails so that you can easily find any new ones that come in as they will be highlighted.

Send an email to yourself. Check in webmail that it's been received.

In Outlook select Send/Receive.

Check through all the folders for notification that there's a new one come in. If one has then see where it has gone.

Assuming that it's been received:

In Outlook go to File/Account Settings and select the account.

At the bottom of the window select 'Change Folder' and select the correct one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

chattan
Hooked

The Change Folder IS already correctly set, and it's the same one as my other account delivers to.   The other account is working perfectly normally, and this one appears to as well, at least so far as the Send/Receive – Show Progress is concerned.

To be absolutely clear, I sent a test e-mail to both my addresses:

On Webmail, using the problematical account, it shows up highlighted, as it's not yet downloaded.

Then I ran Send/Receive on Outlook, and the e-mail instantly appeared on my secondary account, diverted as it came in into another folder by a rule.   But the Inbox folder does not show receipt of the e-mail for the other account, which it should.

Webmail on the problematical account now shows it not highlighted, showing it's been downloaded.

Why will it not show up in my Inbox?

chattan
Hooked

Cracked it!!   For some reason, my spam filter was directing EVERYTHING into Spam Rejects, not even into Suspects!   I've fixed that and now everything appears to be working properly.   Phew, what a releif!!

Thanks for your help

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

When exploring issues such as this, it helps to know all the players who are in the "game"!!

Just dealt with someone reporting that emails they can see through the webmail client are not appearing in MacMail - I would not be surprised to find that there is a spam filter in play there.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.