cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only seeing most recent email on iPhones

FIXED
mushroompicker

Only seeing most recent email on iPhones

Hi there - I'm hoping someone can help with this.  We set up a new Mac on 21st September.  We've successfully set up the new Mac and Plusnet e-mails are coming into Mail as normal.  But on our iPhones, which are both connected to our Plusnet account, we can only see emails from 21st September and earlier AND the most recent email that's come in.  When a new email comes in, it seems to "replace" the previous one in the iPhone Mail view.  I hope that makes some kind of sense.

We've not knowingly changed any of our iPhone settings and I can't find an issue like this from a few minutes Googling.  But I have every confidence that there's someone out there in the Plusnet community that may know what's going on!!

Thank you in advance for any help.

Mark

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Only seeing most recent email on iPhones

When you set up the new device (that’s what has changed) was it setup as an IMAP or POP3 email client?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mushroompicker

Hi there - thank you for responding.  I just did a migration using standard Mac wireless migration from the old Mac to the new one.  I didn't consciously set up anything to do with Mail on the new Mac.  Having said that, I've had a look at Mail settings for my Plusnet account on the new Mac and it appears to set up as a POP e-mail client.

Thank you

Mark

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Mark,

So, if you have both a POP3 and an IMAP client configured, this is what you will see...

• On the POP3 client you will see all of your email each time that client connects to the server and COLLECTS and removes emails from the server either immediately or after the passing of the "Keep on sever" duration
  • On the IMAP client you will see ONLY those emails not COLLECTED or remaining within the "Keep on server" duration

If you want to access the same mailbox from multiple clients (devices) then set them ALL up as IMAP.  That way you will sees everything everywhere - including ALL emails sent from ANY device.

Be sure to implement appropriate housekeeping to cull unwanted emails and from time-to-time archive to local storage ... also remember to back up your PC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mushroompicker

Thank you again - I'll Google how to set up as IMAP - doesn't seem to be an obvious setting within Mail, but perhaps it's something within my Plusnet account...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix
It’s all email application / client side not your mail account.

You cannot CHANGE the settings on an email client “account”. It is a choice you make when you configure an email account in your email application.