Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail from backup software rejected - violating 822.bis section 2.3

FIXED
srangeley
Grafter

Mail from backup software rejected - violating 822.bis section 2.3

Hi all,

For the past 3 weeks or so I haven't been receiving 'successful backup' e-mails from EaseUS Todo Backup installed on my PC. I haven't changed any settings but when I check the log files I can see:

552 Message contains bare CR and is violating 822.bis section 2.3

I'm guessing that Plusnet have hardened their anti-spam settings? Obviously I've reported this to EaseUS and they've sent me a new DLL file to install but it hasn't solved the issue so I'm joining a live chat with them this week sometime.

Not sure whether it's related, but I also don't receive mailing lists I'm signed up to from Manchester Airport and Jet2, but I receive them OK on my Gmail address and can't understand why. Is it possible to check if these are also being blocked by Plusnet? My spam filter is turned on in mailbox settings but set at level 1.

Thanks

Steven

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Mail from backup software rejected - violating 822.bis section 2.3

Fix

@srangeley Have a look at this  topic - sounds exactly like your issue - with a resolution: https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Can-t-send-email-using-relay-plus-net/td-p/1953818

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

@srangeley it seems that error relates to the headers containing a lone CR rather than a CR,LF pair

"CR" stands for Carriage Return.  A "bare" carriage return is where a 'CR' (carriage return) character appears without an accompanying 'LF' (linefeed) and that breaks the generally accepted rules,

A bare CR in the header of an email message are often seen in the badly formed email headers of spam emails and that is why the receiving email server is rejecting your email.

My guess is that EaseUS need to correct their email generation dll.

Not sure whether it's related, but I also don't receive mailing lists I'm signed up to from Manchester Airport and Jet2, but I receive them OK on my Gmail address and can't understand why.

That's a different problem, there do seem to be some problems with emails from some mailing lists being bounced by the PN spam filters. Myself and another SU are trying to get some traction with staff in the SU space to understand why ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

There has been another report of issues emailing from EaseUS Todo 20023/4 on this board. That was resolved with a patched mail library from EaseUS Todo.

Edit - someone typed fast than me!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

srangeley
Grafter

@jab1 

@Annie 

Hi John,

Thanks - yes, that's my exact issue! I've read through that HUGE thread and confess that I haven't rebooted my PC yet because, er, well EaseUS didn't say I needed to and I was able to rename the old Email.dll file and replace it with the one they sent without it complaining the file was in use etc. I should of course have tried a reboot, so I will give that a go later hopefully once I've finished work!

Thanks

Steven

srangeley
Grafter

@MisterW 

Thanks, yeah I Googled the error message and saw it was related to malformed e-mail content!

As mentioned in my previous post I've copied over the Email.dll they sent me but maybe it just needs a reboot like with Annie.

Thanks for the comment regarding mailing lists, that's interesting to know.

Steven

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Just as a follow-up to my original post referenced above, I had other (non email related) issues with EaseUs so I decided to test out AOMEI Backupper. It may interest others to know that I ran into the same email issue with that software too. I'm still deciding what to do next in relation to backup software.

Annie
Annie
Rising Star

@srangeley 

Out of interest where did you look to see the log file? Perhaps I could have saved a lot of time if I'd known there was an actual error like this.

Annie
srangeley
Grafter

Hi @Annie 

See How to Create an Error Report on Todo Backup Personal Edition (easeus.com)

I did 'Save As' then opened the ZIP file and the error was in easeus.log (at the end, as I had just replicated the problem!).

HTH

Steven

Annie
Rising Star

@srangeley 

Thanks Steven. I just checked the report that I sent to EaseUs at the time and I see it there. I had no idea where to look - there are a lot of files generated and I don't think I'd have known what to look for in any case. This must be how EaseUs knew how to fix it.

Annie
srangeley
Grafter

Hi all,

I'm pleased to confirm that after a reboot EaseUS Todo Backup is now sending e-mails successfully! Pity they didn't tell me that a reboot would be required after copying the file 🙄

I just need to make sure it wakes up the PC to do a backup tomorrow morning, as that wasn't working either.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Steven

Annie
Rising Star

@srangeley You're not alone. My husband uses an older version of EaseUs on a Windows 10 PC and he's been having problems with backup jobs not running automatically either. It works on my old Win 10 PC though.

Annie
greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

CR & LF protocols probably date back to manual typewriters.

A CR returns the input to the start of the line and any further input characters (without a LF) will over-strike anything that was there.

The LF starts a new line. (Like manually twisting the wheel on a typewriter, and leaving the input to start at the same column)

\n \r