cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle Fire HD10 Unable to open server connection

star63

Kindle Fire HD10 Unable to open server connection

Hi there, I hope someone is able to offer some help.

For years I've used my Kindle Fire HD10 and mobile phone to kind of 'housekeep' my emails using imap set up. I'd delete the emails I wasn't that interested in and then read the ones I was on my laptop (POP3 set up).

A few days ago 15th/16th Oct 2022 I started encountering the message 'Unable to open server connection' on my Kindle. I'd encountered this previously so wasn't too bothered, as it always resolved itself. We've been away for a few days. Connected to free wifi in cottage. Both Kindle and my mobile phone received Gmail, but only my phone received my Plusnet email.

Back home today and connected to Plusnet router still the same issue. So I decided to delete my Plusnet email account from my Kindle and re-add it. I've done it before, what could go wrong???

I've entered my Plusnet email. Made sure the Username is my Plusnet Username and not my email address and entered p/w. Incoming Server Settings are imap.plus.net with SSL unchecked and Port 143. Outgoing Server Settings are smtp.plus.net with SSL unchecked and Port 587.

However, when I select 'next' to continue I receive the following message: 'Continue Setup? The email address and username you entered do not match. This could result in emails not being sent or received properly' If I select 'Edit Settings' the email is what I entered. If I select 'Continue', the set up completes, but the email is 'PlusnetUsername@PlusnetUsername.plus.com'.

There doesn't appear to be any way to change 'PlusnetUsername@PlusnetUsername.plus.com' to my 'alias@PlusnetUsername.plus.com'. And I've lost count of the number of times I've removed the account and added it again. I even tried 'Postmaster@PlusnetUsername.plus.com' but that didn't work either.

Any and all ideas for what to try to resolve the issue will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Kindle Fire HD10 Unable to open server connection

@star63 Welcome to the forums. My email set-up days are a long time ago, but something doesn't look right with Fire settings, if you are using IMAP - see https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/ 'what other settings do I need?'

John
star63

Hi John,
Thanks for replying. I'd already checked and used the info in the linked PN guide. And various combinations of port numbers and SSL being checked or unchecked. Also tried using relay.plus.net as the Outgoing Server. Even tried leaving my email as the Username. Though I kinda knew that wouldn't work.
It seems to be down to the Kindle setting the account up as PlusnetUsername@PlusnetUsername.plus.com, with no way to edit it.
I do have a separate PN Mailbox, but it's not that one I'm trying to get my Kindle connected to again.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

OK, @star63 - I've never used the Kindle Fire, but if he spots this, maybe @Minivanman might have a clue?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

What email application are you using in the Kindle?

Is the mailbox in question the primary (default) mailbox or a secondary mailbox?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

star63

@Townman I'm using the default email application that was pre-installed on the Kindle. And I'm also using my default PN email. The one my monthly bill gets sent to. As stated, until 4-5 days ago it was working fine.