cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Block ALL Unwanted Emails From gmail ?

John218
Dabbler

How Do I Block ALL Unwanted Emails From gmail ?

On my Plusnet email account, how do I stop ALL emails from Gmail without opening them up ?

I'm receiving many suspicious Gmail emails from persons unknown who are using different female names to try and get me to open them !

I would like to completely block any emails from Gmail, can anyone please tell me how to do this on my plusnet account ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John 218

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: How Do I Block ALL Unwanted Emails From gmail ?

Hi John,

Your post title and text ask different questions.

Stopping all email from Gmail is fairly straightforward - In the user portal, under manage account, https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail, spam setting you can black list gmail.com.  That should stop ALL email from @gmail.com senders.

The title qualified the requirement as UNWANTED EMAILS - that requires discernment of your personal preferences, something spam filtering cannot do.

HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many desktop email clients, such as Thunderbird and Outlook, have the ability to specify filtering rules on incoming emails.

It is a simple task to create a new rule that checks whether each incoming message contains "@gmail" in the "From:" header field, and then define subsequent action rules that perhaps marks those unwanted messages as "Junk"/"Spam" and move them to the appropriate "Junk", "Spam", "Trash", or "Deleted" folder. 

Hopefully that will remove your unwanted messages from your INBOX before you see them.

If at a later time, there are specific gmail emails that you do want to receive, then the desktop client filtering rules are run in order, therefore you can make a rule to keep the wanted gmail messages, before the blocking all gmail rule gets applied.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Anonymous 

That (valid) strategy works only if that email client is running all of the time.

@John218 

If you access that mailbox from multiple devices (laptop / desktop and phone or tablet) the filtering described above will operate only whilst the device running the filtering is up and running ... even then the unwanted emails will only be be 'managed' when that device does its next fetch.

If that device is not running or between fetches, other devices will still see the emails from gmail.com

The significant upside of this method (if you are comfortable fiddling with filters) is that you leave yourself with the option of still receiving and finding email you might want from gmail correspondents.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman wrote:

That (valid) strategy works only if that email client is running all of the time.

OR  if  @John218  only uses one PC/laptop for email, in which case the rules will run on starting the email client.

John218
Dabbler

Many thanks for all the replies, they're much appreciated, it gives me a better idea how to deal with this problem.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

John