Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails to @gmail.com addresses being returned

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Emails to @gmail.com addresses being returned

I've recently reported an NDR (non-delivery report, aka 'bounce') between two plusnet accounts. It may be separate to the problem related to bounces/NDRs when sending to gmail accounts.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Bounced-e-mail-between-Plusnet-subscribers/td-p/1879068

Would you agree that such an occurence has nothing to do with Google and has a high certainty of it being a problem internal to Plusnet and plusnet mail servers?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@greygit That obviously is nothing to do with Google. As no-one at Plusnet has replied (yet), would you like to send me (via PM) the headers only with personal details removed if you must - although I am highly unlikely to start misusing the data?

John
greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I doubt that you would ascertain more than I already have. I pre-empitvely apologise if that offends, but I've only been looking at mail headers and the information (and the decreasingly lack of information) in them for over twenty years. That's sad, innit?

I have other comments about the details (or lack of details which /could/ be included) returned in NDRs from PN's servers. The NDRs are rather opaque, curtailed, truncated, rather obscure (and therefore uninformative).

I won't say any more than that, as some of my previous comments have upset others in the past (your good self included).

I'm off to buy popcorn (translation -  I'm just going to watch).

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hiya @Davidbristol, thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm really sorry for the problems you're having in sending emails to Google Mail accounts. @jab1 is correct, in that we are happy to investigate these, though we'd need some further information to send across to our Network Operations Team to have a look. Can you please send me a PM with the email headers, both the emails you've sent, and the bounce back emails? I Can you also please clarify whether you're sending these emails through a third party client, and / or Plusnet webmail? 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Davidbristol
Hooked

Hello - Thanks for offering to have this investigated

Failures, first experienced on 11 July, are for @gmail addresses but not others.  I checked the problem again at 14.30 today from my personal domain address hosted by PlusNet.  

My header: Check on email problem

Response: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* .......@gmail.com

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** .......@gmail.com ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

Best wishes, @Davidbristol

jab1
Legend

@Davidbristol As @adam945 advised above, Plusnet need the full unredacted headers from the sent emails and the rejection message sent via PM - these contain further information which NetOps require if they are to investigate.

John
Davidbristol
Hooked

How can I send Plusmail the unredacted headers without releasing email addresses to the whole community?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

You send them via a Private message (PM)  to adam above. They are then only available to PlusNet and will only be used by NetOps to investigate the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

By sending them, as @adam945 requested, to him via PM.

@MisterW beat me to it.

John
garywood84
Rising Star

Just to note that I am also experiencing this issue, with mail forwarding. My PN email addresses are set up as forwarders to my gmail.com mailbox, and some senders are getting non-delivery receipts when trying to email me.

See my separate thread on this, which is essentially the same problem. Thinking I might have to move my domain name away from Plusnet if it doesn't fix the problem soon.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Link fixed.
mornut

Just spotted there are two threads on this.

I got hit this morning, but also got the following in the bounce

Final-recipient: rfc822; <redacted>
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [212.159.14.20] blocked using urbl.hostedemail.com; https://www.abusix.ai/search?q=212.159.14.20

This wasn't to gmail.

So Plusnet is listed on at least the abusix blocklist (but seems to be clean on Spamhaus). 

garywood84
Rising Star

Anyone still experiencing this issue?

Davidbristol
Hooked

This is still a problem for me (not very IT savvy) when I access my hosted email address from "Mail for Windows 10" (rather than from Plusnet Webmail, much less convenient).  Could somebody please advise me whether my settings, below, are the optimum ones.

Incoming server:  imap.plus.net

Outgoing server:  relay.plus.net

Outgoing server requires authentication:  ticked

Use same username and password:  ticked

Requires SSL for incoming:  not ticked

Requires SSL for outgoing:  not ticked

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Hi David,

Win10 mail is not an overly nice product!  There are better out there.  Thunderbird (liked by many) is a free email client.

Those settings are essentially fine, however you ought to use encryption (unhelpfully labelled SSL).  At that point the detail of port numbers becomes critical.  Note the following are correct for an IMAP configuration...

Incoming: imap.plus.net port 993 SSL/TLS

Outgoing: relay.plus.net port 587 STARTTLS

Authentication

• For the default (catchall) mailbox the username is your plusnet_username
  • For a secondary mailbox the username is plusnet_username+mailbox_name

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@mornut 

There are a multitude of issues sending to Gmail.

If you are still having issues, note that the link you provided states that the IP address referenced is not listed (blocked).