Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Webmail issue

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Current Webmail issue

Currently, when using the standard Plusnet Webmail, I keep getting the message "Connection Error (Failed to reach the server)!" flashed up all over the place.

Nevertheless, it currently seems to be functioning OK.

17 REPLIES 17
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Re: Current Webmail issue

...Now, even before I have logged in! Weird...

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 23

Hi @pvmb we're aware of this error that some of our customers get when logging into webmail. Can you follow the instructions below and this should resolve that error.

1.    Log into webmail via the links below:
https://webmail.plus.net
2.    On the inbox list screen, select “List Options" which is the little grid icon on the left of the column title bar
3.    Set sorting column to “None"
4.    Click “save"
5.  Try using webmail again

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Claudia. But it seems strange as I have always used sorting without having this problem.

Just tried turning sorting off and it seems to make no difference. What is particularly strange is getting the message at the login screen before I have logged in or even entered my username.

So no, not "Fixed".

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

It looks to me somehow cookie related. My browser clears cookies on exit and when I first alight on the Plusnet webmail site I do not get the warning message. But even if I just refresh that login page in my browser, without having logged in, I get the warning every time.

newemail

Same symptoms as pvmb. i.e. Connection error (Failed to reach server) appearing before log in and at various steps whilst using email. The signal disappears each time after a few seconds. It only occurs on the standard roundcube Plusnet email not the squirrel one. It does not affect the operation of the email it is just an irritant. I bring it to your attention in case it is a general roundcube problem. It only occurs on my android tablet. No problem on my Windows 11 pc. Your possible solution of switching Control to None didn't work for me either.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@newemail 

A warm welcome to the forums.

Which tablet / browser.

I have seen various odd problems with an Amazon Fire tablet using the Silk browser, getting simple display of text (non-breaking spaces) messed up (not seen on other platforms) and have wasted a deal of time trying to engage Amazon support.  Android platforms forever seem to have issues, not seen in other environments.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newemail

Hi Townsman. Thanks for the welcome. My tablet is Lenovo TAB2 A10-7DF, the browser is Google Chrome.  I made an error in my initial post, I should have said set Sorting Column to None. This problem is just irritating at present, only appears on Plusnet roundcube not the basic version but doesn't affect the email operation. It doesn't appear on any other function on my tablet. Weird. I doubt that pvmb and myself are alone with this problem.

kenm
Grafter

Exactly the same for me , also have none in the box

Smudger51

I get the same error message too

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

It would seem that there is confusion herein about what problem people are reporting.

“Cannot reach the server (even before login)” suggested that the webmail service could not be accessed at all. There have been some problems recently with some browsers (notable Google’s products) not connecting to some websites at all. Other browsers work fine.

“Cannot connect to server” AFTER having connected to the service and initiated the login is related to access to the IMAP mail server and us an entirely different issue. This issue is made worse by big inbox folders and non-default sort sequences.

Sorting big mailboxes is usually more proficient using a client based email client which are more resilient to the delays associated with sorting bloated mailboxes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

No confusion here! It started about four weeks ago. "Connection Error (Failed to reach the server)!"

This message is not displayed when at Plusnet Login page when FIRST visited (no initial cookies). It is displayed from that point on, even with a page refresh without logging in. It is displayed after logging in, it is displayed inside Plusnet RoundCube email, it is displayed after logging out back to the login page...

Nevertheless, everything still seems to be working AOK - apart from the error message.

As I said, this never used to be the case until about four weeks ago and it seems to be cookie related. No cookies (first clean landing on login page), no problem. Cookies - after landing on login page, after logging in, while using Plusnet email, after logging out from Plusnet email - error message is seen.

I am using MS Edge browser and set to delete all cookies on closure - so no site cookies when first alighting on a site.

newemail

No confusion here either. I stand by my statements above. The error message does not prevent logging into and normal Plusnet email usage, it is just an irritating erroneous pop up. It now also occurs on my windows 11 pc as well as my android tablet.

kenm
Grafter

I had already commented before on the red connection error  message earlier,

weeks later i still have it popping up every time i do something

checked again still have a tick in the NONE box

its just getting very annoying now

Kenm

kenm
Grafter

I have just logged on today