cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion to email only account

MarkC
Grafter

Re: Conversion to email only account

@Gandalf - i assumed from the wording of the email that i would lose access to email, but also i knew that the process for email only was that that would happen, and that i'd need to raise a ticket with CS to get moved across to an email only account - i was completely unaware that email only accounts no longer existed, and nothing in the email led me to suspect otherwise.

Snipped from the email

==================================

Your broadband service

Moving your broadband service means our support team will no longer be able to help if something goes wrong with your connection. You will also lose the following services if you have them enabled as part of your broadband package
  • Your Static IP
  • Any Plusnet domains you have
  • Plusnet Protect
  • Your Plusnet Webmail account

==================================

I accept that this has happened and i must deal with it as best i can (and do hope you can get temporary access) but i believe such a major policy shift should have been better communicated - if the email had said "we no longer offer email only accounts to ex-customers" that would have alerted me and maybe i would have reversed my decision to leave.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Yep, I agree. We could've explained things better in the email (and over the phone). 

It's with NetOps now and I've also asked a manager. Once I know more, I'll let you know. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MarkC
Grafter

@Gandalf thanks - that's all i can ask for. One other thought - would a catchall redirect for any emails coming to anything@myplusnetuser.com be possible or an option?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Mark. It’s a good idea but a catch-all wouldn’t work as the email address anything@username.plus.com would need to be active first. Currently it’s in a destroyed state. I should hopefully have good news tomorrow. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MarkC
Grafter

🤞

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfortunately NetOps aren't able to reinstate your emails. Having spoken with a manager as well as discussing with a colleague in our Duty Ops team, I'm afraid that their decision stands, because it's not a service we're offering anymore. 

Really sorry again for the incorrect advice we've given previously, I've already sent feedback and that should be winging its way to the relevant advisers shortly to make sure they are aware of the correct process moving forward. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Brownie points awarded here.

But sometimes the system just can't be bucked.

Nernst

I too have run into this problem.

My view is that since the provision of conversion to a free email account was available when my contract was entered into and no effort was made by Plusnet to advise customers that they would rescind that service in April 2022, it must be available until the end of that contract otherwise it is a breach.

Gandalf, on 7/7/22 you mentioned the email I also received "Leaving Plusnet - what you need to know". This only states that the Webmail service is to be cancelled, not the email account. The last time I used webmail was to empty my mailbox when it was getting near capacity but there are other ways of doing this. Otherwise, your responses have been very helpful.

I notice that another customer said that his email account had remained intact after he left and the response indicated that this was because he had an old account. I have had my account with Plusnet since 2013 - should this give me grounds for hope?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@Nernst I agree the way the closure of the email-only service was badly handled, but other ISPs have done the same. There has to be a point where the facility to create an 'email-only' account is withdrawn, and unfortunately, once it happens - that is it.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Nernst wrote:

I notice that another customer said that his email account had remained intact after he left and the response indicated that this was because he had an old account. I have had my account with Plusnet since 2013 - should this give me grounds for hope?

This is only possible if the username for your emails is different than your broadband username as that’d suggest the two services are on different accounts, so cancelling broadband in this case wouldn’t affect email. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Nernst

Thanks for the clarification

Nernst

Jab1:- Plusnet does NOT have to do what other ISPs do. That is not an excuse. If something is badly handled, there is always an honourable thing to do (ask our prime ministers). Breaking contracts is not one of them.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Maybe an obvious question, but is there anything we can do to keep you with us for your broadband service? That way you’ll be able to keep your emails. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Nernst

I wish you could. Thanks for the offer but regrettably, due to a lack of cooperation from Sky, I have had to take a total and more comprehensive comms and entertainment package elsewhere saving £30 per month.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

@Nernst wrote:

Jab1:- Plusnet does NOT have to do what other ISPs do. That is not an excuse. If something is badly handled, there is always an honourable thing to do (ask our prime ministers). Breaking contracts is not one of them.

I never said they did, but it is Plusnet business decision to retire the email component - for whatever reason - and IIRC it does not specifically form part of the contract, anyway.

John