cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed password now no SMTP connection with Thunderbird

jannic
Dabbler

Re: Changed password now no SMTP connection with Thunderbird

@Champnet Yes, I've tried pw with and without.  Makes no difference.  Incoming work, outgoing don't.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

@jannic No, not quite right. I was talking about setting up a new PlusNet mailbox in the manage mail section of the portal. Then you just set up the SMTP server to use that login instead of your main account.

That's RPM to you!!
jannic
Dabbler

@RPMozley Sounds interesting.  I won't be able to do this for a couple of days but will let you know how I get on.  Thanks

jannic
Dabbler

@RPMozley 

Well I tried this and it is rejecting password on new account.

There is a big message on member account

"Change already in progress

You are not currently allowed to make a change. There is already a change in progress. Please try again later"

that has been there several days.  I can only conclude that Plusnet is blocking something tho' it lets me email out directly from site.  It also let me set up second email address etc and confirmed it. And I've no idea how to resolve all this.
RPMozley
Pro

There has been a few reports on here with that message in the portal. Not looked at it specifically so not sure if it’s fixed or being worked on.

Anyway, very odd the new mailbox credentials are also being rejected. What version of thunderbird are you using?
Also is the problem account IMAP or POP3? If IMAP, you could remove the account and recreate it again without too many problems.
That's RPM to you!!
jannic
Dabbler

@RPMozley TB is 91.90  Setting POP3 so no problem there.  Thanks for interest.

RPMozley
Pro

POP3 is a problem because the mail is stored locally and it's not easy to recreate the account in thunderbird. It is best to keep account as it is now and not try moving things around, as you run the risk of losing emails if a mistake is accidently made. 

One option to try is setup a IMAP account in TB (along side the other) with your usual credentials, see if sending emails can be done there or not. This is to check if the original account has somehow become broken.

That's RPM to you!!
jannic
Dabbler

@RPMozley  Thanks but I don't really understand how this would work.  How would IMAP override POP3?

I'm very reluctant to try something that could also lose all my incoming emails as obviously there are far more of them than outgoing.

RPMozley
Pro

The IMAP will work much like using Plusnet’s webmail or a mobile device. It won’t actually ‘override’ your previous setup, it will be working alongside the POP3 account.
IMAP will keep all emails on the server until the POP3 downloads them, then the IMAP will show empty. As long as they both do not connect at the same time there shouldn’t be any issue (check each account as to when they synchronise).

This is just to check if the problem is account related or a software glitch. Temporary in other words.
That's RPM to you!!
jannic
Dabbler

@RPMozley

I'm sorry I'm still confused by this.  Surely the SMPT doesn't change and therefore the password problem will still occur. And don't understand how I can synchronise usage without changing POP3 settings which I don't want to do.

RPMozley
Pro

I’ll have to check up on the thunderbird settings as the last time I used it was quite a few versions ago.
Then I’ll be able to give you the right steps and where to look.

Here is what I am thinking for you to understand why I’m suggesting this. The current TB account may have been broken, maybe by an update. The fact that the new mailbox login didn’t even work for smtp login kind of points to an issue with the account. Creating a new TB account with the same credentials is to check if the original account is broken (new account works) or if a fault with TB (no change in smtp) or maybe a PlusNet problem (have to try webmail or something).

Anyway, time for some research.
That's RPM to you!!
jannic
Dabbler

@RPMozley

I've been thinking about your comments on updates. Update 91.9.1 has failed several times (although in Help About TB it says it is up to date) and it needs to be done manually which seems to be a reinstall. According to Mozilla this will overwrite existing TB.  I will have a go at this when I have a clear head and some time to spend and will back up as much as possible just in case.  Watch this space.

jannic
Dabbler

@RPMozley TB reinstalled smoothly.  Outgoing messages still not working either under old or new addresses and passwords.  Convinced problem is with PN.

RPMozley
Pro

Please try sending using https://webmail.plus.net to check if Plusnet related issue.
That's RPM to you!!
jannic
Dabbler

@RPMozley I've been sending all outgoping emails by webmail and blind copying myself.  They do appear to be going.