Did you mean: 

Cannot send to gmail addresses

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

Re: Cannot send to gmail addresses

@gdickson the script that checks for the MX record, and creates the SPF record,  only runs every 6 hrs. There's then time for the DNS change to propagate.

Check  if the SPF record is created usin https://mxtoolbox.com/ . enter your domain and click the Mxlookup button. Once that displays, then use the dropdown menu on the button to select SPF record and click , that should show if it exists

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nsrussell

Tried the please-add-spf-records mx config and it fixed gmail for me. So thanks. Just one question, should I leave the please-add-spf-records config entry or remove it now? I am assuming that removing it will not cause the SPF entry to be removed, or does it need refreshing regularly?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Leave it. Removing it will remove the SPF record for your domain.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CaptainCorcoran
Hooked

Hi - this reply covers my issue exactly!!

I fall into the final category of people suffering this problem (3rd-party hosted domain with email forwarding).

I've spoken to my domain provider and say they need to know specifically what needs to be added so they can properly enable SPF.

It's not really clear (to me - a total novice) what's needed from the examples given...

My domain hosts' DNS console displays a "TXT" record currently showing the value

v=spf1 include:_spf.hostedemail.com ~all 

Is it literally a case of adding extra 'include:' entries for _spf-internal.plus.net and _spf-internal.plus.net   as per your solution,  or someother values entirely?

Thanks in advance...

(I could always trying phoning Plusnet "support", but that would probably take days to get an full answer!!)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mitigating email delivery failures (notably Gmail)

Domain name registered and managed elsewhere (third party)

There are two scenarios here:

1. Plusnet hosts the email service for the domain
  2. The domain forwards email to the native Plusnet email address

THESE ARE NOT THE SAME.  Ideally email forwarding should be avoided as it brings about numerous complications - you should use the DOMAIN's email servers to received and send your domain email, not Plusnet's.

To configure SPF on a domain name registered elsewhere, you must use your domain name provider's DNS configuration tools to set up the applicable SPF record:

v=spf1 a mx include:_spf-internal.plus.net include:_spf-internal2.plus.net ~all

or

v=spf1 include:_spf-internal.madasafish.com include:_spf-internal2.madasafish.com include:_spf-external.madasafish.com -all

This has been provided in many places around here, hope it helps clarify what is needed.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Ideally email forwarding should be avoided

Does that include forwarding e-mails as attachments?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

No, I should have been a little more precise with my words.

The practice of having a domain name email receiving service such as fasthosts without a mailbox which passes on emails to another mail service is mail redirection. However it is colloquially call forwarding.

Such redirection if not done properly will cause issues with strict SPF implementations. It can get messy.

You are talking about forwarding mail after it has been received into a mailbox, which is fine.

bobp
Grafter

The original problem is exactly what I have. After Plusnet had their data breach in 2007 and my ***@####.plus.com email was compromised Plusnet gave me ***@####.co.uk which I have used without problem since then. It is fully hosted by and registered BY Plusnet, which means I do not have access to configuring the domain settings. I see that Gandalf was able to add the mx record for BS6600 and create the SPF record. 

I phoned Plusnet support today and had a long conversation with pleasant young lady who was trying very hard to help and went and discussed with others. No understanding of the problem or solution, but acknowledged that a lot of users are reporting this problem and they are trying to find a solution but don't know when this will be, The suggestion was that I should find another email provider.

I mentioned that Gandalf had been able to resolve the problem for another user within recent memory, but that got me nowhere.

As I am unable to access the domain settings myself I am not sure what to do now. I have no wish to transfer from Plusnet but may have no option.

bobp

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@bobp if you have a domain hosted by Plusnet then you should be able to add an SPF record as detailed below and previously described

Plusnet fully hosted and registered domain

For Plusnet brand registered and managed domains, SPF configuration is facilitated by the addition of a TXT record in the domain's DNS settings. Plusnet's DNS configuration tool for hosted domains does not permit the creation of TXT records. However, there is an unsupported "facilitation" which will create an SPF record for a hosted domain.

On the basis that your account ALREADY has a hosted domain:

• Go to Manage Account
  • Manage Your Domains (Manage your domains link)
  • Configure domain name
  • Create an "Additional DNS records (Advanced)" as follows...

Screenshot 2023-01-25 155752.png

For the avoidance of doubt leave the left side blank, exactly as shown.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

<cough> This may not be the case for accounts which have an associated domain *and* were migrated to 'e-mail only' (sands of time stuff). And then 'e-mail only' accounts stopped being charged for.

That's my experience. A lot of 'stuff' disappeared from account management in the web interface.

bobp
Grafter

Thanks, but as I said above the email and associated co.uk domain was created by Plusnet following the breach in 2007. I have followed the link you've given but I get an empty list. Gandalf has replied to a PM and I may be sorted. We shall see.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

the email and associated co.uk domain was created by Plusnet following the breach in 2007

That should make no difference, if its hosted by Plusnet it SHOULD appear on your account. I had a domain provided under the same circumstances and it appeared on my account. Well it did until recently, when I transferred it and the email service to another provider.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

@bobp looking at your domain now I can confirm SPF has been configured. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobp
Grafter

Thank you Gandalf. I have confirmed that I am now able to send email to gmail accounts. I still don't get to manage my domain following the link given above. see attachedClipboard_01-05-2024_01.jpg

JulianPentland

@Gandalf It seems that you are the guy that knows about sending to gmail addresses.

I don't pretend to understand all the messages in this thread, but I know that I used to be able to send emails to .gmail addresses, and now I can't, and it's something to do with MX records.

I have phoned the help people a few times and don't seem to get anywhere.

In terms of how I use email, I use Thunderbird. In server settings my server is listed as mail.freenetname.co.uk, using port 110, with no connection security. The other security options are STARTLS and SSL/TLS and the authentication options are transmitted insecurely, encrypted password, Kerberos/GSSAPI, NTLM or OAuth2

In outgoing server settings (SMTP) the server is again listed as mail.freenetname.co.uk, using port 587, with no connection security. The other security options and authentication options are as above.

My normal email address is julian@pentland5.co.uk

Is there any chance you could look at my problem and do whatever it needs to get .gmail working for me?

Many thanks in anticipation

Julian