Did you mean: 

Can't send emails from pc

FIXED
Madron
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Can't send emails from pc

Hi

I had a problem with my broadband during the week due to a fault on the line but have no discovered that I can't send emails as get the error message 'recipient rejected - relay denied'.

Please can anyone advise me how to resolve this.  Ta muchly.

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Can't send emails from pc

@Madron I am assuming (a) you are a Plusnet customer and (b) this didn't happen prior to your disconnection- although I can't quite see how the two could be connected.

John
Madron
Hooked

Hi John

I'm a Force9 customer and no didn't have this problem prior to the disconnection.

jab1
Legend

OK Next couple of questions then - can you send from Webmail and what email client are you using?

Sorry for the step-by-step approach, but it is a while since I've got involved with email questions, so I'm kind of 'feeling my way'.

John
Madron
Hooked

Hi John

I can send email from webmail and I'm using email on Microsoft 365.

Much appreciate your assistance; thank you Smiley 

jab1
Legend

Right. That suggests to me that your settings are correct - if they weren't, it would fail using webmail as well. This leads me to think 365 has somehow gone wonky. Can't help with that, I'm afraid as I've never had dealings, but it might be an idea to double-check the settings in there.

I'll tag @Townman as he is the expert on here, but whether he picks up quickly will depend on what else he is doing.

John
Madron
Hooked

Fix

Looks like I can now send emails; not sure what the problem was though. 

Thank you for your help Smiley 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Relay not allowed infers the internet connection is not via Plusnet and the SMTP connection is not authenticated. Note connecting over a VPN will look like a non-Plusnet connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@Townman I was wondering about that possibility, too, but the mention of 365 spooked me a bit. 😉

John
Madron
Hooked

Hi

I did have VPN but removed it to be able to view a programme online so maybe this was the issue; strange as didn't have it before though.  Thank you for your response. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

This very much looks like the SMTP server was not configured with authentication. Not doing so, even if it works when connected direct to Plusnet … simply leads to confusion.

The variable use of VPN services also can lead to confusion.

Relay denied is a somewhat unequivocally an off network with no authentication (not failed authentication) condition.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.