cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there problems with the email service?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Re: Are there problems with the email service?

If you are able to log on and see your emails (and send) via Webmail then that would show your username and password work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 82

@BrianD1 

Not saying this is the cause of your issue, but the correct recommended settings for email are

IMAP: imap.plus.net port 993 encryption SSL/TLS
SMTP: relay.plus.net port 587 encryption STARTTLS

User name (authentication) configured on BOTH incoming and outgoing servers
Default mailbox accountname
Secondary mailbox accountname+mailboxname

You need to check as sometime Outlook assumes it knows the server names to use, but they are wrong.

BrianD1
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried these settings but no joy I'm afraid..It seems strange to me that my wife can get the emails with my settings on OL365 but I can't on OL2019..

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@BrianD1 

Are you both using the same PC? apart from email is you're pc functioning correctly?

BrianD1
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van She is using a laptop and I am on PC. PC is working fine as far as I know..

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@BrianD1 

Seems odd that Thunderbird and Outlook are unable to connect , are you getting an error message when trying to connect to the mail servers and what does it say?

BrianD1
Dabbler

@Dan_the_Van  'Task Sychronising subscribed folders for zzz@ddd.com reported error (0x800CCC0E): outlook cannot synchronise subscribed folders zzz@ddd.com. Error: cannot connect to server. If you continue to receive this message, contact ypur server andministrator or ISP'

Says this for each of my, my wife's and my gmail email addresses..Thank you for helping..

Tags (1)
BrianD1
Dabbler

The problem appears to be with Avast free anti virus. I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast and Outlook is working fine now. Thank you all for your help and suggestions..

BrianD1
Dabbler

Again, spoke too soon. Avast started blocking my emails during the day. I know it is Avast because if I disable the email checking Outlook works fine. I have also tried uninstalling Avast and installing AVG instead and that blocks my emails too unless I disable the email shield, as they call it. This must suggest what the problem is to someone as, at the moment, I can't send or receive emails using Outlook whilst checking them for virus's. Not ideal..

BrianD1
Dabbler

The problem has been solved by a technician at AVG remotely checking my PC. Said the problem was some updates had not been applied correctly. All working fine now. Thank you for your help..

Charles101
Grafter

I'm having real problems with one of my email addresses. Using POP, download headers only to start, if interested download rest of message. Leave the message on server till I delete it separately. Do this on multiple Windows desktop computers.

So, the problem is sometimes can't download even headers, sometimes get some headers but not all, many times can't download the message having had the header. Occasionally works OK.

Other email addresses set up exactly the same work fine (used more often).

Tags (2)