cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App password required for outlook express setup

MarkCoops

App password required for outlook express setup

I am trying to setup to receive my plusnet emails on the latest version of outlook express.

On setup It gave me an error with my password and said I may need an 'app password' which I can get from my provider (plusnet).

How do I do this please???

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: App password required for outlook express setup

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband to Email.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@MarkCoops wrote:

I am trying to setup to receive my plusnet emails on the latest version of outlook express.

Just so that we are all on the same page ... are you referring to OE 6 SP3 released April 2008 - the last version released?

Outlook Express - Wikipedia

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

Or is it a later version and it's a problem with two-step verification?

See: Using app passwords with apps that don't support two-step verification - Microsoft Support

MarkCoops

Hello Townman,

Its telling me  'You have Microsoft Outlook Version 1.2024.207.500 (Production).' when I look at the settings.

Is there any difference between Outlook and Outlook Express by the way?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There are many products within the "outlook" family, old and new, good and bad.

Yes there are substantial differences between Outlook (365) and Outlook Express.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro

That's the new version "free" Microsoft mail client that replaced Mail in Windows. Outlook is what it is called, along with a lot of other mail-related products produced by Microsoft over the years which makes it really confusing.

Outlook Express is a VERY old product, started in Windows 95 possibly?

I'm running the same version of Outlook as you on Windows 11, alongside several other email clients including Outlook 2007 from Microsoft Office!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@HPsauce 

Even older than that - Win 3.1!!!

Do you encounter security certificate issues with OL2007?  (Demise of TLS v1 IIRC).

HPsauce
Pro

@Townman I use various email clients (I have a LOT of email accounts!), with only about half a dozen configured in Outlook 2007. It's a logical (to me) split though some are in more than one client.

PlusNet happens to be ONLY in O2007 but then so is a Google Mail account. It's (O2007) all IMAP now, though used to be a mixture of IMAP and POP. No certificate issues.

Definitely sounds like a two-factor authentication issue though for our original poster.

HPsauce
Pro

@Townman actually OE was released as part of Internet Explorer 4, around early 1997, at which point Windows 95 was current, but it would run on W3.1 and other platforms.

It had various predecessors but the OE name arose with IE4. Windows 98 included IE4 as standard; W95 I don't think had any browser or email client included at all, certainly when launched.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 80

@MarkCoops 

"I am trying to setup to receive my plusnet emails on the latest version of outlook express."

Are you running Windows 11 and referring to Outlook (New) which is replacing the Windows Mail and Calendar application?

Using the snipping Tool is it possible can you take a screen shot of the message you are seeing? 

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

@HPsauce  Strange how much we forget. Around this time I can remember buying a copy of Netscape Navigator 3 in a New York store, far more advanced that the Microsoft products. . An email client was also included which was useful for the Company's intrarnet system..................

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 80

"I am trying to setup to receive my plusnet emails on the latest version of outlook express."

Are you running Windows 11 and referring to Outlook (New) which is replacing the Windows Mail and Calendar application?

Using the snipping Tool is it possible can you take a screen shot of the message you are seeing? 

In addition

The new version of Outlook is available for Windows 10 which I downloaded via the Microsoft Store

HTH