cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Posting in English Language only please

Spider
Grafter

Re: Posting in English Language only please

Thanks for your comments James, I am just hoping that maybe a Plusnet staff member may take them on board and then working with the moderators make things consistent both in the Forum Rules and the presentation of forums.
zembu

I started this thread and since then have had no time to view.  Now that I have, I'm particularly admiring the perseverance of Dusty, and the comments of Spider and Poppy.  I have been very, very disappointed with the PlusNet responses.
PlusNet's site is named "Community" and my dictionary defines that as e.g. Joint or common ownership, Identity of character, Quality in common, Body of people organised into social unity, body of persons living in same locality, or with common race, religion, pursuits etc.,
I think that PlusNet, like all such organisations, should have Policies, and one of these Policies should be that all communications on its site will be in English, the official language of Great Britain.  The British Government has gone down the route of providing foreign language help for immigrants and has concluded that too much of that has been a mistake, as it has discouraged immigrants from assimilating into British community life.
I have no objections to immigrants, but if they wish to live in Britain they must learn the English language, just as if should I go to Poland or any other country I would be expected to learn their language.
It should be immaterial to Plusnet, if they had their Policies correctly defined, whether or not they have staff who can cope with speaking languages other than English.  There can be no objection to assistance being given on a one to one basis to non English speaking customers, if the staff are available to speak or write the language.  But this facility should not be extended to providing on line forums in a language other than English.
It seems from one of PlusNet's responses that they wish to provide a service to Polish people, seemingly in order to encourage them to use PlusNet.  Perhaps it is for this reason that they have employed Polish people.  This however, can only lead to questions as to why the Polish have this favourable treatment.
br1anstorm
Rising Star

I happened to come across this lengthy thread when browsing, and have read it with growing astonishment and despair.   
I cannot understand those who complain about the existence of a forum in Polish within the site.  If you don't need, or read, Polish, don't worry about it, let it be! It will help some fellow customers.  It may bring in some additional business to PlusNet.  Fine, nothing wrong with that. 
If, in the fullness of time, PlusNet develops the capability to offer a forum for Welsh or for that matter Uzbek or Swahili speakers, then so be it. The fact is that English will still be the main language of most users and of the forums and site.  Even non-native speakers will gradually become capable in what is by far the predominant language of IT and business. But that's not a reason to argue that other languages should in effect be proscribed. 
It seems not just P-C but perverse to suggest (as some have done) that providing a Polish or other non-English forum is somehow fundamentally unacceptable or wrong in principle.  And it is equally perverse to argue (as others have done) that because PlusNet can't set up forums in other languages, it shouldn't have a forum in one language (Polish) where it has the capability to do so.
Maybe we can hope for a little more tolerance and a little less dogmatism and xenophobia...?
br1anstorm
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: br1anstorm
Maybe we can hope for a little more tolerance and a little less dogmatism and xenophobia...?

There are two sides to the discussion, the existance of a foreign language forum when the stated language of the forums is English and contradiction found within the Forum Rules, including the presentation of the forum.
I do not feel that the issues that I raised are xenophobic, pedantic maybe.
I am curious to know if PlusNet do go down the multi-language route how this would be an improvement on the old style forums? The stated reason for the new community site is to bring all the customers together and share knowledge. It was also to reduce staff time looking and responding to similar questions on multiple forums. With multiple languages you could end up with the same question asked say 5 times in 5 different languages so having to be responded to by 5 different staff members.
br1anstorm
Rising Star

Spider, you make a fair debating point.  But the key question is: what's the problem? 
If the existence (note spelling!) of a Polish forum adversely affects the site's operation or Plusnet's service, then worry about it.  If it doesn't, then live and let live.
As for the risk of duplication/overlap when there are 5 different language forums, let's cross that bridge when (if?) we ever come to it...
br1anstorm
God
Grafter

* Unbelievably Loud Crack of Thunder*
You are all my children and we speak in many tongues!
It would appear that the forum section is not a drain on resources with less than a dozen postings; surely this is all just a storm in a teacup?  *Even Louder Crack of Thunder*.
I notice that the threads have been viewed over 1200 times! Doesn’t this make it the most popular section in the community forums?
It would therefore definitely be a sin to drop it, being an even handed God I can also see that it might be annoying that most of us do not know what is being said in the most popular corner of our little universe.
Surely there must be a solution we can all agree to? Hmmm… I know, perhaps we could have a poll?
*Final Crack of Thunder accompanied by the noise of Godly robes swishing in to the distance*
I do apologise for that, I just fancied a bit of pun… Oh dear, I do hope the forum spelling checker comes on line soon.
cp:blue Trick tags removed, as they may confuse some users. mod:end
Spider
Grafter

I decided to have a more detailed look at the polish portal and forum pages. Now I don't speak  or read Polish but what I did find is that the pages are a mixture of Polish and English. If you are going to feature another language I would suggest that it useful if all the the information is in that language rather than a mixture of both.
On a more technical note. Why does the Polish flag feature on the English part of the portal, but not the Union Flag on the Polish version?
glyndev
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
The only area that Polish can be posted is in the Polish specific forum, this is so the Polish staff here can offer support to the customers that have signed up for our Polish service.

I know that I am a few days late on this topic. but going by the above statement can I assume that if you had staff that could speak Gujurat or Arabic then you would offer support in those languages and also offer a language specific forum for those users ?.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

They would also have to be web developers / designers and programmers because they did all the work themselves I believe to set-up the Polish Website and deal with the Polish forum.
nmercer
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
They would also have to be web developers / designers and programmers because they did all the work themselves I believe to set-up the Polish Website and deal with the Polish forum.

Tongue firmly in side of mouth.
So they just wasted work time and resources (paid for by us) just to please the few!
Tongue removed from cheek.
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: Spider
I decided to have a more detailed look at the polish portal and forum pages. Now I don't speak  or read Polish but what I did find is that the pages are a mixture of Polish and English. If you are going to feature another language I would suggest that it useful if all the the information is in that language rather than a mixture of both.

Only the footer and the header link is in English.  That's because it's the website template and all those pages are in English.  The English links are there to direct any English speakers who inadvertently land on a Polish page.  (That's hard though!)
As for the forums, if you're Polish, you can select Polish as the language in the profile.
God
Grafter

I really cant believe such a fuss is being made over this, frankly its: Glupszy niz ustawa przewiduje  Roll_eyes
God
Grafter

Hmm..  I smite get around to it  Grin
Big_Fred
Dabbler

I gave up reading this total rubbish ages ago.
I only got back to this thread because I clicked on the link "Show replies to your posts"
Do us all a favour and bin it, plug it, delete it close it or better still shoot anyone who post anything after this post.....
BF.
God
Grafter

Oh... I see we have a player of the pink oboe.