cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing/Terms changes - October 2013

dsw
Grafter

Re: Pricing/Terms changes - October 2013

I have been looking around and to be honest, after all the promotions, broadband is getting more expensive regardless of which supplier you use.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Devonian
So as a thanks for my loyalty and despite being under contract still, I receive an email this morning telling me my price is going up, my notice to leave period is extended, and my fee to cancel is raised.

The cessation fee isn't strictly a cancellation charge. Customers migrating to another ISP don't pay it. Just wanted to provide that clarification again to avoid confusing the uninitiated.
Quote from: alanj
I received my email yesterday and have just spoken to the Customer Options Team about possibly downgrading from Fibre to ADSL...  I was alarmed to find that the person I spoke to didn't know about the increase in line rental for existing customers, or the increase in cessation charge or increase to the notice period....
I'm not sure how the team can be expected to retain any customers if they don't know about changes being made to pricing and terms and conditions.  Maybe it would have been an idea to let them know?

We did and I'll be following this up to find out why the agent you spoke to wasn't familiar with the changes. They should be! Undecided
Quote from: alanj
As for downgrading from fibre to ADSL - well, that seems to have everyone confused!

It's possible but there may be a penalty based on the fact that all fibre contracts are 18 months in length.
Quote from: I
Quote from: Bob
This suggests that you can charge for deferred cost ( like hardware etc) if leaving due to a material disadvantage, surely that is not correct?
47. If we have made a change which is to your material disadvantage, you will not have to pay a charge (excludes any charges or payments we have deferred) if you decide to end your agreement early, unless the price guide says otherwise. However, once we have told you about such a change, you must let us know that you want to end the agreement within 10 days.

I'll double check but in the past we've charged for deferred costs when we've done this sort of thing. Having said that, most people actually have true 'profit foregone' contracts now rather than deferred charges.

Hi Bob was you able to check this?

Yes Mike, deferred charges are payable although there don't seem to be any associated with your account, assuming I'm looking at the right one?
Quote from: Thunderclap
Bob Pullen Wrote :
"If you're talking about the wholesale cost of broadband provision then there hasn't been a significant increase in that area of late."
and
"We make negligible amounts of money from entry-level broadband subscriptions so I guess it is a bit of an incentive to bring your landline service to us as well. We're investing heavily in our network and product offerings for the future as well as opening a new office in Leeds. Whilst nobody likes this sort of thing, it does help us cement some of the stuff we have in the pipeline."
Are you saying this surcharge is therefore an incentive to force customers to leave BT [and others]?

That's not the sole reason, no. I'd be lying if I told you we didn't make more money from 'dual-play' customers though.
Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
What stuff do you have in the pipeline that requires cementing?

Lips_are_sealed

Quote from: kdoug007
i am  on a  contract  until next january broadband  only..  hope thats ok still??.

From what I can tell, your monthly subscription's staying the same.
Quote from: priyanka123
I havent got any mail till now and looking at other threads its not clear. I am on unlimited broadband(half price) and eve/weekend phone calls(13.99) package contract from february.  Will this price rise impact me? If yes can I move to another provider for both landline and broadband?

Your line rental is increasing from £13.99 > £14.99 in October. The email makes this clear.
The last batch oif emails isn't scheduled to go out until the end of the month.
If you move both services to another provider then the following applies (taken from the email):
If, as a result of the changes in this email, you decide to terminate your affected service(s), you may do so without incurring the Early Termination Charge(s) that may otherwise be payable. If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 10 days of receiving this notification. You will still be liable for service charges up to the date of termination.

Quote from: Jarr
I have the plusnet unlimited fibre package with talk anytime and I joined in April so my line rental is £13.99.
I assume I have a right to cancel my contract with you?

As above, the emails really do explain this all though folks. I recognise some of you haven't received an email yet but that's to be expected, we're not even half way through the send yet.
To reiterate what I said in my opening post:
Quote from: Bob
2. If you haven't yet received an email then please be patient and try to refrain from posting until you have. The emails are tailored to each specific customer's circumstances and should answer the majority of your questions.
Thanks.

So if there's no official statement .........?
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]

Everyone will receive an email. If you're looking for something in the interim then I'd suggest having a read through the information here.
Quote from: scoobydoo1
Yes i have had the email, You have 10 day from receiving the email to notify them you will be leaving, there is mention of a set amount of time you will have to leave by.
Regards
Mike

thats clearly wrong, as it quite clearly states on the first page of this thread the following
Cancellation notice period

"The notice period you need to give before leaving us will change to 14 days.

As of October 1st. If you disagree with the changes and exercise your right to leave then presumably you'd be doing so before October 1st (the current notice period being 10 days).
Just re read things. As I'm paying for phone and broadband ill have no price increase?

No, the cost of your line rental and calling plan is increasing. The email we send to you will tell you this though Wink
So you could choose to move your phone to BT, (for instance), but still take your broadband from Plusnet without being penalised?

Depends entirely on your circumstances. If you have Value or Extra then your broadband subscription would increase by £1.50. If you signed up after May 8th (or have changed to one of the newer products since then) then changes are your broadband subscription would increase by £2.50. The latter is following the changes described in the post here.
Quote from: Razer
The way I read this is that I have a 12 month contract at a certain price. PN are saying they want to change that contract to charge more. If I don't accept I can give notice to cancel, but if I give notice to cancel I will be penalised for cancelling before my contract is up. How is that fair?

Your deferred contracts expire on 01/11/13 so I'd imagine we'd probably make an exception there.
Quote from: dsw
What happens to those customers who've paid line rental up front, but want to leave due to the changes?

I'm not sure there'd be much benefit in doing this but the terms of the Line Rental Saver contract dictate that the up front payment isn't refundable. Not sure how this works where additional calling plan charges are concerned, although you're not paying extra for a call plan at the moment any way. For anyone that is, I'm trying to get an official answer via our legal channels.
Quote from: dai
I am on Extra Fibre. I have not received the email yet, but I take it that I can expect the increase of £2.50?

If you're paying £13.99 for line rental as well then yes. You don't seem to be though so your monthly subscription will rise by £1.50, not £2.50.
If this is the case then I will be cancelling within the 10 days notice period, and plusnet will receive their router back in the post. I dont think a charge of £28.99 for just broadband, constitutes good honest value broadband!?

Sorry to hear that. Out of curiosity, where would you be looking to move to?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dsw
Grafter

I'm not sure there'd be much benefit in doing this but the terms of the Line Rental Saver contract dictate that the up front payment isn't refundable. Not sure how this works where additional calling plan charges are concerned, although you're not paying extra for a call plan at the moment any way. For anyone that is, I'm trying to get an official answer via our legal channels.

Thank you. I have multiple accounts with you and some of them are paying extra.
dai
Grafter

Bob, I am just looking around other ISP`s for prices, For example, BT have just said that they would combine both my line and broadband for £34 a month, I have not even tried to barter with them yet. But when you consider that I will ne paying £27.49 a month just for extra broadband with Plusnet, you can see the benefit in changing. I am off to take a look at what Sky can offer now.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do Plusnet still allow you to downgrade to a free dial-up account so that you can still access your emails etc?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jarr
Grafter

I'm going on holiday on Wednesday for two weeks. If I get that email on Wednesday after I've left for example then obviously I won't be able to contact plusnet. Could I phone today to sort things out?
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I reckon that if I take the £16 BT special offer (free for 6 months) I will be £40 better off after 18 months than if I stay with Plusnet. Then I will be eligible for one of the Plusnet new customer special offers which judging by the present lot will again be much cheaper than staying a loyal customer.
Now those figures ignore line rental - but BT are arguably cheaper than Plusnet once the add-ons are included - and the call charges are much less thanks to 18185.
The BT special offer includes BT Sport (some might say that is not a benefit of course), national hotspots which would be a benefit for me and several more rather doubtful benefits.
I am doubtful if BT customer support can be much worse than Plusnet's (especially when it escalates into stupid mode) - and both live or die thanks to Openreach (so die!)
So - are there any benefits that are going to emerge as part of the "cementing in"  that Plusnet would like to admit to/announce that I should take into account before leaving?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When you ask for a migration code, Plusnet will make you an offer to keep you.
When that offer expires would be the time to consider making your move.
Gives you time to plan.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Thunderclap
Grafter

I believe most people will accept reasonable price rises in-line with inflation. However, with regard to the proposed monthly surcharge for broadband only customers, as PlusNet is incurring no extra handling costs, I can only conclude that this charge equates to nothing more than, an excessive and unreasonable fee for not purchasing PlusNet's line rental products.
So why a surcharge? Maybe surcharges fall outside the remit of the Regulator?
Anyway PlusNet, here is my reciprocal surcharge, applicable from October:
As of October, I shall be removing my PlusNet recommendation for any person who asks of me, "do you know a good ISP?"
P.S. Still awaiting the email
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When you ask for a migration code, Plusnet will MAY make you an offer to keep you.
Slight correction  Grin
Jarr
Grafter

I have the plusnet unlimited fibre package with talk anytime and I joined in April so my line rental is £13.99.

Only my line rental will be affected is that right?
If that's so I can only cancel my phone and not broadband?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Bob, I am just looking around other ISP`s for prices, For example, BT have just said that they would combine both my line and broadband for £34 a month, I have not even tried to barter with them yet. But when you consider that I will ne paying £27.49 a month just for extra broadband with Plusnet, you can see the benefit in changing.

Absolutely, that's a cracking deal assuming you're sticking with Fibre in a Market 1 exchange. We don't offer much lower than that for a customer in your position on the three month half price promotional discount (works out around £28 I think). Customer Options might be able to offer you something should you decide you do want to leave.
Do Plusnet still allow you to downgrade to a free dial-up account so that you can still access your emails etc?

Yep, you'd need to explicitly ask us to do that though. You'd need to pay us a small amount each month if you were wanting to retain the ability to send authenticated email using our servers.
I'm going on holiday on Wednesday for two weeks. If I get that email on Wednesday after I've left for example then obviously I won't be able to contact plusnet. Could I phone today to sort things out?

Don't see why not, however if you're on holiday when you receive the email then I'm sure we'd make an exception on your return based on the circumstances.
Quote from: EnglishMohican
Now those figures ignore line rental - but BT are arguably cheaper than Plusnet once the add-ons are included - and the call charges are much less thanks to 18185.

18185 works on a Plusnet line Huh
Quote from: EnglishMohican
So - are there any benefits that are going to emerge as part of the "cementing in"  that Plusnet would like to admit to/announce that I should take into account before leaving?

Sorry, but I'm going to have to remain tight lipped Undecided
Quote from: Thunderclap
P.S. Still awaiting the email

More than half of our entire customer base will be in the same boat. Please be patient, the emails are being sent using a phased approach and the send won't be finished in its entirety until the end of the month.

Only my line rental will be affected is that right?

Line rental and the cost of the Anytime call package. Have you considered taking out a Line Rental Saver contract? It would cost you £125.88 if you do it before October and means you're paid up line-rental wise for the next 12 months (paying the equivalent of £10.49 each month).
If you decide to exercise your right to leave then you can move both the line rental and broadband element away.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Jarr
Grafter

I phoned and was told I can only move phone and not my broadband???
Could you clarify 100% please before I ring again?
I also had this response
"As discussed should you wish to cancel your telephone service due to the price increase this could be done without charge, however the price of your broadband has not changed therefore we would not be able to cancel this without charge as this has not been affected by the price increase.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you have any queries or issues."
The lady on the phone was adamant and didn't really listen to my questions that I had read from this topic.

BTW thanks for replying to our questions.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I phoned and was told I can only move phone and not my broadband???
Could you clarify 100% please before I ring again?

Pretty sure that's not the case. I'll double check my understanding tomorrow though and let you know. If I'm right, I'll make sure the person you spoke to knows what the correct approach is.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Jarr
Grafter

Thanks. As I said, I'm going away Wednesday so I'd like it sorted tomorrow preferably.