Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will BT BB be faster than PlusNet?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

Re: Will BT BB be faster than PlusNet?

@chrishood if your downstream speed was being limited to 40 then the SNR would be higher that the 6db target.

What's the master/test socket?

I'm referring to the BT socket to which the modem is plugged. Connecting the modem to an extension socket or via an extension cable can affect the speed. Therefore the modem should always be connected dierctly to the master socket. In addtion , if their is extensions wired in the premises, thes can have an adverse effect. Connecting directly to the test socket ( behind the removeable faceplate) disconnects (well it will if wired correctly) any extension wiring.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@chrishood 

You access the Test socket by taking the front off the Master socket. This might help:  https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242  Note that the front on the latest type are simply clipped on rather than secured with two screws.

If you have a filtered faceplate then you will have to use a dangly filter to connect to your hub. Also note that whilst in this mode all extensions should be dead.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

chrishood
Dabbler

Thanks. That's useful,

I have a single cable going to the Dreytek then directly into the master socket. I can't use the test socket as I haven't got a filter.

I just phoned Plusnet support and they said I had a 40mb restriction on the line maybe due to a previous error and he has now cleared it. My speeds should now improve however after a modem restart it's still the same. I'll give it an hour. Let's hope. He did say it would be instant though.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hey Chris,

I've taken a look into this for you and diagnostics aren't showing any issues, but I can see your download speed is artificially restricted to 40mbps by the automated dynamic line management (DLM) software at the cabinet (the green box in the road). I've arranged for your line to be reset, so you should hopefully see an increase within the next 3 working days.

The full DLM profile is "Downstream: 0.128M-40M with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection" which shows you're provisioned on 80/20 but the download speed is 'banded' by DLM. If you don't see much of an increase then it may be worth us arranging an Openreach engineer to take a closer look. 

Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@chrishood wrote:
 I just phoned Plusnet support and they said I had a 40mb restriction on the line maybe due to a previous error and he has now cleared it. My speeds should now improve however after a modem restart it's still the same. I'll give it an hour. Let's hope. He did say it would be instant though.

Looks like my last post crossed. 

Unfortunately what the adviser's done is increase a profile which should match the sync speed of the line. As the problem is the sync speed itself, this needs a reset put through to Openreach which I've done and can take a few days. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chrishood
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf. Much appreciated - great to see you helping so much on these forums!

I am guessing this has always been on my line? Hopefully I will get the full speeds but disappointed I've had 50% less for 2 years when I rely so heavily on my internet. 😞

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Potentially, but it's hard to say. I'd always recommend reporting an issue to us as we'd likely not be aware otherwise. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@chrishood 

I think that you need to be cognisant of some of the finer points being raised here...

1. The DLM is restricting the line - it does not do that without good cause - there will be a reason for that and that will need to be addressed.
  2. The modem stats report 40mbps at a SNRRM of 6dB - 6dB is the normal target - that is on resync the router will go as fast as it can with a SNRM of 6dB - if the line really can do better than 40mbps but it is restricted to that, then that infers that something is profiling the signal power level to give just 6dB SNRM at 40mbps.  However I am not aware that the DLM does that.

Something is odd here - @Gandalf reports that you are correctly provisioned on 80/20 but the line is being managed aggressively by the DLM - the cause of that needs to be determined.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrishood
Dabbler

Hey @Gandalf 

How long should I wait? Nothings changed yet - still maxing out at 35mbs. Do I need to reboot the modem before testing each time or will it naturally update?

chrishood
Dabbler

Thanks for this!! Unfortunately I don't have a corded phone. I actually never use my landline so have no phone plugged in as all I got was cold calls.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @chrishood, I've just checked your account and have updated the speed profile to 40mbps to be in line with the results I'm seeing on a line test so you should see some improvement now. Please get back to me if not. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrishood
Dabbler

@adamwalker You say to 40mbps - wasn't it already at 40? It's meant to be at 80 but @Gandalf has said Openreach needs to do this? Line test is saying i should be getting nearly 70.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I needed to send you a response that includes some account sensitive information so I've just replied to a ticket on your account: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=223321077 please take a look at that when you can.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team