Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to BT but PlusNet is still billing us

saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Switched to BT but PlusNet is still billing us

The small organization for which I am treasurer had a PlusNet Business contract, which is due to end in a couple of months. As PlusNet is no longer offering business contracts, we already switched to a BT business contract with no phone service, and the new service went live a few days before the end of our latest billing period.  However, we still received a PlusNet bill as normal, and there is no sign yet in the online account that PlusNet has noticed the change. Is this normal, or do I have to chase this up to ensure we aren't paying twice?

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Switched to BT but PlusNet is still billing us

Did you ask Plusnet to initiate your move to BT Business?

Was the BT service supplied as a new service or existing service take over?

Only if you asked Plusnet to initiate the transfer to BT Business AND BT Business provided the new service as a TAKOVER activity will...

1. ETCs be waived
  2. Plusnet be notified that the existing service has been ceased

The note "with no phone service" strongly infers that BT Business did not take over the existing service, therefore will not have ceased the telephone service ... thereby Plusnet will have no knowledge that someone else is providing an ALTERNATIVE connection for you.

For an existing provider to know that you have moved, the existing service must be MOVED to the new supplier.  It would seem that BT has probably fouled up here ... which is not overly surprising.  You should contact COTS to sort out your Plusnet account ... expect to pay ETCs.

Contact Customer Options Team (aka COTS)

COTs is the place to go to if you want to find out anything to do with your contract in respect of leaving, renewing or simply enquiring about early termination charges (ETCs). They have their own number and tend to answer quicker than the general customer service number.

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632 or 0800 079 1133(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)
  • Available...
    • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    • 9am - 7pm Saturday
    • 9am - 6pm Sunday

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

saguaro
Rising Star

Thanks, I'll try that. As I understood it there was no option to continue the existing service because of the 'Stop sell' issue, and we didn't really need the phone line any more and did need a business contract, so I just signed up for the cheapest BT package (which I think I got to via a link on the Plusnet site) without informing Plusnet directly and assumed that would do the trick. (I don't enjoy making phone calls and wanted to avoid that if possible.)

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Has it been 28 days since the switch?

Your final bill would be within 28 days after you move.

saguaro
Rising Star

About 20 days so far.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Thought I’d clarify the part regarding termination fees. These should not be charged for any of our business lines regardless how they are closed.

@saguaro if you can private message me the account username, I’ll be happy to look into what’s happened. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Gandalf

Thank you for the clarification of the evolving policy on ETCs.. My mind was still back with the paradigm where Plusnet needed to initiate the migration of the business service to BT to avoid ETCs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.