Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

value time of day speeds?

fishrow
Grafter

value time of day speeds?

Hi, new user on Value.
I'm only on day 3 and aware of the 10-day settling thing, but...
In my router the connect is 8128 down,  448 up
in PN portal , connection settingsHighSpeedBroadband, line speed is 7150
I've seen the pages about the various rates for the time of day and for Value most of them show 256kbps but for 0800-1200 it says "Line rate" which I infer as being the normal 10% of line sync, meaning a download from a decent site will come in at around 700kbps.
I saw some zips and iso's come in most of yesterday at 230-250kbps so seems ok.
But yesterday and today before 1200 they stil l came in at 230-250.
Should they be arriving at the higher speed or do I need to wait the 10 days or so for this to happen?
thanks for any insight
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: value time of day speeds?

Easy part first - this has nothing to do with the training period but with the traffic shaping
From the page you are probably looking at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#valuespeeds
Please be aware that:
    * The speeds shown here don't represent your overall line speed
    * Activities not listed, such as web surfing, email and video streaming have no specific restrictions and are prioritised on our network at all times
    * Online gaming needs low latency which is why we prioritise gaming traffic
    * Few games need more than 2Mb of bandwidth, we address the ones that do individually
    * Line speed means that you'll get the fastest speed possible at the time, subject to Traffic Priority
    * Applications not using their standard ports may be classed as Other traffic meaning a lower priority may apply
and the Traffic Priority links to here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
Gold Plated  Non-Plusnet FTP and download sites/servers traffic. Rate limited to prevent impact on interactive/Gold traffic at busy times.

paulby
Grafter

Also bear in mind that the server you are downloading from may also be rate limited (by its owner or may not have sufficient bandwidth) or be having problems affecting download speed.  Some download sites also deliberately rate limit downloads from their servers to allow more people to connect over the same bandwidth.
Worth noting that the "fault" isn't always with your connection!
fishrow
Grafter

to 'oldjim' first.
thanks. Those are the pages I read certainly but I still took it that the shaping was run according to the session time.
So, re-reading what you've quoted, do I take it that for Value users reading the html pages here,  the Met Office or NASA then the associated data is whizzing down at 700kbs -satisfying the contract- but _everything_else_ is capped at 256kbs irrespective of session time?

to Paul03
yes indeed, however unless congestion coincidence is involved, I _know_ that those sites I got the zips from would deliver at 700kb+ on an 8128 sync.
scootie
Grafter

install wireshark http://www.wireshark.org/download.html
follow this guide and look at the table at the bottom of the prioitys http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
plusnet dont hide that they traffic manage infact the oppsite the traffic mangment is why most of us use plusnet
the above will allow you to see what expected speeds plusnet should be giving that type of traffic your using
fishrow
Grafter

I've seen the piece about wireshark thanks.
Further info after a run on speedtester.bt
your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1836 kbps

so if any previous repliers see this, are there 2 points here.
I may have been correct about the 10 day, as the profile should improve. Yes?
If the profile is 2000kbs then me seeing 230kbs for those downloads is ok.
ok 3 points Smiley  When it does improve what about my original qn wrt time of day?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unfortunately you will now have to be patient and wait for the IPprofile to increase.
I don't think Plusnet can report a stuck profile until after the 10 day training period.
For future reference please differentiate between kbps (kilobits per sec) and kBps (kilobytes per sec) as it makes diagnosis a lot easier  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

supprised no one showed you this chart yet, fromKitz http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
fishrow
Grafter

oldJim,
yes I should know better by now . The browser download window figures are in bytes so it was the 230kB/s  ballpark so far. Funnily enough about 15mins ago I got a zip from a site I've found in the past not to be fast and it came in at 350kB though it was descending over time and finished on 280kB.
pierre, hey.
yes, no-one did but I saw it when I went over his site.  Smiley  I think his site has better tech info than thinkbroadband. I still see it equating to the PN "Expected speed" pages in that there are "NR or no restriction" times of day which correspond to "line speed" in PN pages. However, as oldJim says, it's a patient wait to see how the profile goes. cheers
pierre_pierre
Grafter

he is a she Smiley Smiley