cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"About your broadband speed" email

AHMH4HH
Dabbler

"About your broadband speed" email

Hello - we received the "About your broadband speed" email as below.  I queried the slow speed (30mbps) with support soon after setup and they said try again once the problem with incoming landline calls was fixed (it took 14 days so was resolved after this email came).

There's no result in this email, will we receive it again but with a result?  I can't test it myself until the weekend.

Thanks

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed range. Now that your Unlimited Fibre Extra broadband has been up and running for 14 days, we wanted to let you know your line speed as it stands today, as a comparison.

Estimated peak time speeds:
Download: Not available
Upload: Not available
These are the speeds your line is capable of at peak times.
Current line speed: 78Mb
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: Not available
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.
If any of the values above show as 'not available' this means that the line checker tool was not available at the time we took the estimates. If you have any questions about your speeds, please take a look at our FAQ page.
12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: "About your broadband speed" email

@AHMH4HH Post the result from here (obscuring your telephone number:https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

John
AHMH4HH
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply John, I can do that at the weekend.  My question was also about the email, will we receive another one from Plusnet that includes some results rather than "Not available"?

jab1
Legend

No, that email is only sent at the start of a contract.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@AHMH4HH  It's not worth bothering about this email it is virtually useless in my opinion, all the missing speeds are estimates and the one that claims to be a speed is nothing of the sort so pointless.

"Current Line Speed" is not an actual speed but a legacy Plusnet internal profile which can restrict your speed if you are on a static WAN IP address. It is supposed to track the BT IP profile but can get stuck, unless you have a Static IP address it will not have any effect on your speed.  

Your router stats are the way to find the actual speeds.

AHMH4HH
Dabbler

@jab1  @RealAleMadrid I've run the test, results below.  I also did a test on speedtest.btwholesale.com 36.3 mbps download / 12.13 mbps upload.  

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in JumperHighLowHighLowVDSL Range A (Clean) help714916.910.944AvailableAvailable--VDSL Range B (Impacted) help68.74416.49.635AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 Available --
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 6.5 to 15 Available --
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5.5 to 8 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 -- --
SOADSL Max Up to 6 -- 6.5 to 15 -- --
SOADSL Fixed Rate Up to 2 -- 5.5 to 8 -- --
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 40
Max Observed Upstream Speed 13.94
Observed Date 2023-03-12
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap U
VRI --
NTE FacePlate --
Last Test Date --
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y

jab1
Legend

@AHMH4HH Can you repost that as a proper screenshot please - it is a little hard to decipher in that form. Can you also do the BTW speedtest again, and run the additional diagnostic, and again, post the result as a screenshot.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@AHMH4HH  I actually asked for your router stats but you have posted the BT checker result, however the observed speeds show you have 40Mbps download and 13.94Mbps upload which is strange. If you are on Fibre Extra which it appears you are because your upload is above 10Mbps you should be getting a much higher download speed, so somethings not right.

The router stats from the Hub help desk page or diagnostics would help, I don't use a Plusnet router so can't give you help with how to get the stats.

jab1
Legend

@RealAleMadrid I'm guessing he's on Fibre Extra with a problem.

@AHMH4HH Depending on which Hub you have (assuming you ARE using the PN supplied kit) the instructions below should give us the data RealAleMadrid requested:

sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

John
AHMH4HH
Dabbler

It's fibre extra, I thought you'd say that about the copy and paste readability but for reasons too boring to go into I could not get a screen shot only a picture. I have the technical log and will post it later
AHMH4HH
Dabbler

Attaching the router technical info

Product name Plusnet Hub Two
Serial number 2238114119
Firmware version v0.08.00.08297-PN (Mon Aug 29 11:12:39 2022)
Board version R01
GUI version 1.9 16_08_2022
DSL uptime 0 days 3 Hours 34 Mins 3 Secs
Data rate 13.2 Mbps / 40.0 Mbps
Maximum Data rate 13.3 Mbps / 49.1 Mbps
Noise margin 6.4/9.4
Line attenuation 10.7/18.6
Signal attenuation 10.7/20.9
VLAN id 101
Upstream error control Off
Downstream error control Off
Data sent / received 287.9 MB Uploaded / 768.3 MB Downloaded
Broadband username removed
2.4 GHz wireless network name removed
2.4 GHz wireless channel Smart (Channel11)
5 GHz wireless network name removed
5 GHz wireless channel Smart (Channel36)
Wireless Security WPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless mode Mode 1
Firewall On
MAC address AC:B6:87:B1:F5:9C
Software variant -
Boot loader  0.1.7-PN (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

jab1
Legend

@AHMH4HH From that last post, I suspect you have a major problem, most likely in the BT/OR network. From the attenuation figures alone, you should be getting ray north of 70Mb/s as a data rate. My suggestion is to raise a broadband fault via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

John
AHMH4HH
Dabbler

Plusnet made some changes and I'm now measuring 42 mbps download which is better but still seems low based on the comments here.  I'll report a fault using the link @jab1 provided or report it via my currently open complaint.