Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port 25

warbleeder
Grafter

port 25

im having problems opening port 25
I need it open as im trying to set-up a mail server
port is set to open on route... netgear I have no active firewall on system dose anyone have any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: port 25

Have you checked the PlusNET firewall settings?  See http://plus.net - user centre - connections - firewall.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

warbleeder
Grafter

I sorted it... windows firewall was turned off.... but I just went into back end of system and completely disabled it and that fixed it  Huh that's new for me as normally firewall been turned off is enough
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Turning off a co firewall is rarely a good move.  It not only stops things connecting in, it also stops things connecting out - e.g. Spy ware.
Configure the firewall to open port 25.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

warbleeder
Grafter

I don't and never have used windows firewall I use another so im covered Smiley + I  have AVG spybot adaware and iobit malware + virus
windows firewall has always been a problem in my opin but each to their own Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

So true!

Anteaus
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
So true!

A fact which Microsoft and others need to note is that once security becomes so overcomplicated that no-one understands it, it ceases to be security.  Windows XP's firewall was simple and reliable. With Vista onward you don't know what the hell is going on, because there are so many stupid gimmicks that aren't even part of standard firewall terminology. When you don't know what's going on, you don't know if it's secure or not.
As for port 25 outbound, it's not a bad idea to restrict access to only the computer with the mailserver, since that will stop any other computer from sending a flood of spam if it does get 'botted.

warbleeder
Grafter

you can only have 1 port set open to any one pc at any time on standard routers anyways
it dose not matter if this pc gets hacked at the mo as its only running windows 10 preview and no other data is on it