Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet Email sent form mobile phone Help

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

plusnet Email sent form mobile phone Help

Im trying to send e-mails from my mobile phoen using my plusnet account, ive put everyting in correctly, i can read new e-mails, but when i try and send e-mails it keepos sending error messages.
im trying to use it exactly as its set up on my p.c
that is:
User name : plusnet log in
password: same as my plusnet log in
smtp server : relay.plus.net  ( exactly as itsays it should be on the conection details part of the main plusnet website )
port: 25
this is using Three as the mobile network.
How can i get this to work?
21 REPLIES 21
Lurker
Grafter

Re: plusnet Email sent form mobile phone Help

Tick the box for authentication for sending. (Not encryption, just authentication)
Or
Change to use 3's SMTP Server for sending mails.

PN's (as most) only allows you to send without authenticating yourself when you are attached to their network, hence 3's should let you without authentication, or PNs will with authentication.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do 3 allow access to other peoples SMTP servers when connected to their network?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MrC
Grafter

No. It would be very nice if PN had an SMTP server listening on a non-standard port and using encryption (although it is still possible to detect the likely protocol in use).
Mike
adie:quote
Lurker
Grafter

In that case just change your setup to use
smtp.three.co.uk
As your outgoing mail relay =. Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Do 3 allow access to other peoples SMTP servers when connected to their network?

I'm pretty sure I've used the PlusNet authenticated SMTP on my daughters laptop, connected to 3 with a mobile broadband dongle.
Could be a while ago though!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrC
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
smtp.three.co.uk
As your outgoing mail relay =. Wink

I'd love to but it seems not to be designed for non-3 email accounts as it adds (or replaces) a reply-to: in the form of <name>@3mail.com which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Unless of course I've bu**ered up the settings on this 'ere E71. When I've got a spare tuit I'll try telneting to smtp.three.co.uk:25 and manually enter the smtp dialogue just to see where the reply-to: is/isn't being set up.
Mike
Lurker
Grafter

The Help pages at Three boldly state that it works with major email providers, and goes on to list a few, including Yahoo, Gmail etc.
Assuming that they are correct in their assertion that their product works, its hopefully just a case of locating the correct settings - I tried in vain to locate a setup guide on their site though.
They do block port 25 though, again according to their help pages. So you have to use their SMTP server for outgoing mails.
pint
Aspiring Pro

If i used Threes smtp server, would the e-mail sent still be from emailaddress@plus.com ?
Lurker
Grafter

So long as you had configured it to be that and didn't change it.
All SMTP Servers do is relay messages onto the receiver based upon the address of the recipient.
Since having an open relay would be bad in terms of SPAM (and effectively paying and resourcing a tool for non-customers), but requiring everyone to use a password and username to access their SMTP Server would require a lot of processing overhead, most ISPs simply provide an open relay for all users connected to their network.
But all they really do is look at the domain part of the address, and send it to the IP address identified by the MX record for the domain in question (or the A record if no MX record exists)
pint
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: pint
If i used Threes smtp server, would the e-mail sent still be from emailaddress@plus.com ?

Just tried iot on threes smtp server, to my hotmail account, and it was listed as being from my 3 mobile account, and not from the plusnet account.
how can i make it so its from mailboxname@plus.com ? and not phonenumer@3mail.com
MrC
Grafter

It doesn't look like you can. I've just tried connecting to smtp.three.co.uk:25 with a telnet client on my phone and any email address used in a mail from: isn't rejected but the SMTP dialogue immediately replies with a @3mail.com address - in other words SMTP connections through 3 are tied to one email address which is the one 3 associate with your mobile phone no. What is annoying me is I can't remember where or on which of the 3 websites this is set up.
Mike
mitchell20
Grafter

I've also never managed to send PN email using my 3 mobile broadband modem.  Yahoo UK mail works OK though.
PN email works perfectly on my iPhone via the O2 network (although you do need to add your PN username/mailbox name and password to your SMTP settings).
It must be a network thing.
MrC
Grafter

Tah-dah.....
OK, just found the following info on t'web which someone winkled out of 3 support.
Change the smtp server to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk as this one doesn't  rewrite addresses on the fly in the same way that smtp.three.co.uk does. I assume that smtp.three.co.uk is solely for 3's own email service and that smtp-mbb.three.co.uk is for evryone else (mbb == mobile broadband?). Note: normally email sent through smtp.three.co.uk doesn't get counted against your data allowance; I'm not sure if this is true for smtp-mbb.three.co.uk so you might want to experiment before sending large attachments.
I can now send email from a 3 mobile with the from and reply-to headers set to whatever I want - yippee!
Mike
Colin
Grafter

Three used to allow you to send email through email servers running on port 25 through their Mobile Broadband, then it suddenly stopped working a few weeks back and now you need to do it using smtp-mbb.three.co.uk or an SMTP server that's not running on Port 25.
I had a VERY fun conversation with Three MBB support about this for a friends father Sad