cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusdsl.net account

ForumPete

plusdsl.net account

I am a UK user and have a plusdsl.net account (me@plusdsl.net) set up.  It shows on the Network pane of System Preferences on my iMac.    It is permanently 'not connected' and when I try to connect it the following message is received:

"Could not find a PPPoE server for the specified service. Delete the service name option and try reconnecting. If the problem continues, contact your Administrator."

Separately I have a Wi-Fi account with a Plusnet name and my Wi-Fi apparently functions without problem

Can someone please tell me what the plusdsl.net account is, what it would be used for, and if I need it please describe in more detail than the above message what I need to do

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: plusdsl.net account

If you want to connect directly to the BT Openreach Modem on fibre you would enter a PPPOE login through a ethernet cable connected to it.

The PPPOE details just authenticate the connection with your Plusnet account. It should be used when you want to connect to the internet using your modem/router.

If you want to connect your Mac wired, then simply connect an ethernet cable from it to the router, there is no need for any PPPOE settings as your router is syncing the connection as a access point for your devices to connect via Wi-Fi or through any ethernet cable connected to the switch on the back.

For you to connect to any isp, you would connect your router to the dsl slot on a phone line socket with a rj11 cable. Then your router would ask you for your username and password and that is the plusdsl.net account which allows you to connect to the web. If you were on another isp like talktalk (for example), they would be 02081234564@talktalk.net.

So the message 

"Could not find a PPPoE server for the specified service. Delete the service name option and try reconnecting. If the problem continues, contact your Administrator.

Is correct as your not connecting directly through a modem.

ForumPete

Re: plusdsl.net account

Many thanks Riza