cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

outage 15/01/2024

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

outage 15/01/2024

What happened to broadband service last night? There was a dropout at around 6.30pm for about 30 min. There was a comment on  a newspaper article in the evening talking about DNS problems effecting Plusnet and some were managing to restore connection by changing DNS servers. I cant see any comment on the forums,maybe I missed it? All was fine after 7pm so panic over.

18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: outage 15/01/2024

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that - I found a long set of 'me too' problem reports in the full fibre forum, although this issue doesn't seem specific to full fibre connections.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Usually a Mod moves topics around to the most appropriate forum. Strangely in this case they haven't. It took me a while to find any info.

Of course if there was a forum where Service Information could be posted, that could help.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Not strange at all, @corringham . Here's my post  from last September's major DNS outage making this very point. 

Like perhaps a million PN customers I have no interest in the tech subtleties, all we want is for the darn thing to work. Doubly so when a couple of our community group have been pushed into this BB phone system and no BB, no phone which isn't funny when you're in your 80s.

For the same reason I am sorry that the mods have dumped all posts relating to this outage in the Everything Else thread. If a national outage isn't worth prominence on the BB thread I don't know what is especially as I see DNS frequently mentioned in this forum.

When my wife's internet last night I went straight to my September's notes, switched her from PN DNS to Cloudflare, problem solved. In fairness September was the first outage we had in our many years with Plusnet and we're still very satisfied. Full fibre, Hub Two, works great when it has working DNS!

doas
Hooked

I started to have issues about 4.30 yesterday. I was on a zoom call and although that continued I could not access other websites or email. After the call I seemed to not be able to access anything. During trying to sort this out I found my pc had renamed itself which I don't understand. At first I thought that I was not connected to the wifi as I could not see my device, but then realised one of the mystery devices connected was my pc and the pc's name was different. Now it was called "desktop xxxx". I saw too there is no password on my routerbut I thought I put one on when I set it up about 3 years ago. Wondering what is wrong. This morning I can connect ok but feel a bit concerned about security. Any advice?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

I saw too there is no password on my routerbut I thought I put one on when I set it up about 3 years ago.

With the Plusnet Hub 1 or Hub 2 routers, you don't need a password to VIEW basic information. You DO need the admin password to get to the advanced settings to CHANGE anything.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@mechanic123 

"What happened to broadband service last night?"

For me, the hub was still showing a connection, but I couldn't get any websites - however NowTV streaming was still working. After checking for dial tone/noise and trying a reboot of the hub I phoned Plusnet. After a 40 minute wait, I was told that it was a problem that was affecting every Plusnet customer acrosss the country, which probably explains:

"I cant see any comment on the forums,maybe I missed it?"

No Plusnet customers could get in to the forums to post about it!

CJ99

I'm a relatively new customer but I've had problems for some time know, yesterday being the worst. After an hour I gave up on the phone and the complaints email address is not monitored.  So how do I complain as the service is not expectable. 

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Welcome to the forums, @CJ99 and sympathies on your problems! First, no doubt the phone lines were blocked last night with the nationwide failure, there is usually a wait but it's not normally as bad as it was.

There's plenty of knowledgeable folk on this forum who willingly give advice, so I suggest you post your service details (ie FTTC or FTTP, your speed package and your router Hub1 or 2) together with a summary of your problems and see where we go from there. Intermittent faults over a period, for example, may well be a fault on your line rather than a PN issue.

jab1
Legend

@CJ99 I also suggest, when you follow @Longliner 's excellent advice, that you do so in a new topic on the relevant board.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

and the complaints email address is not monitored.  So how do I complain as the service is not expectable.

@CJ99 there is no complaints email address!. The Complaints code of practice is here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/ . There's a link to it on the bottom of every forum page and on the Plusnet Help & Support pages.

You can raise a complaint by phone, online ticket or letter.

However, as has been said above if you create a topic here, others may be able to advise

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

redsox9
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Any chance of keeping such important threads as yesterday's Plusnet DNS meltdown on both the Broadband and Full Fibre forums?  There are many of us who are still on ADSL.

CJ99

Thank you for the information.  I've completed a ticket as i cant get through on the phone.

jab1
Legend

@CJ99 I've completed a ticket as i cant get through on the phone.

Exactly what do you mean by the above? - and as was said earlier, you really should have created your own topic, this not the place for your issue.

John