cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old modem keeps dropping signal

pko
Dabbler

old modem keeps dropping signal

Hi all, I'm having problems with my connection dropping out. I'm using a Technicolour router/modem which is quite old. The dropped line is intermittent & becoming more frequent. Yesterday (16th) I was on live chat with Jeremy & we got as far as he could confirm that my signal was dropping more & more frequently and then the line dropped and that was the end of the chat.Today live chat is unavailable. Would I solve the problem by purchasing a new router. I have tried all the normal suggestions re checking connections etc. & they are ok. Unfortunately I don't have an old router to try. kindest regards to all

2 REPLIES 2
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: old modem keeps dropping signal

Hi @pko 

I can defiantly see the drops you are referring to; 

I've tested your line and can not not isolate where the issue is coming from. 

Can you run through our troubleshooting guides here.

If that doesn't help, the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket (which is under the faceplate of your master socket) and seeing if the drops stop.This rules out your internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause of these drops.How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

If the problem still persists, please can you raise a fault here and give us a yell once done. 

Thanks, 

MoR

pko
Dabbler

Re: old modem keeps dropping signal

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have done all the checks suggested, but as the problem is intermittent it hasn't proved anything. Yesterday, as the chart shows, it was dropping repeatedly. Today it hasn't dropped at all. I appreciate that you can't find fault, when it is working, so I'll have to monitor it over the next few days & see how it goes.

I did raise the ticket, but I got the message that it had been cancelled as the fault was cleared.

Many thanks for your help.

regards

paul