cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loss of power

defiant
Grafter

loss of power

Hello everyone ive enjoyed my line running stable at 3mb with a sync speed spot on 3424 for 7 days last night in the small hours of the morning the power went off in the whole area for a split second. Since the router was forced to sync at the noisest time for my line i  got slammed down to 2560 sync speed which has lowered me to 2mb bras profile i decided at roughly 9am to leave the router off for 10 minutes to get my 3mb profile back ive turned the router on and got  3328  Sad
downstream rco is 91% (3657kbps)  the routers done the math and gave me 3328 is it possible for plusnet to adjust the downstream rco to say 95% ?
this has been 99% in the past.
if that could be done i would be getting 3657 - 5% which would give me  3474 sync with the current line conditions
can anyone recommend something i can do to achieve the 3mb profile
thats for any advice !

19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: loss of power

Watch your noise margin and when it is highest during the day - resynch the router
You could also, at the same time, try resynching with no phones connected - it might give you a bit more speed
Of course the best thing is to have a router which enables you to fiddle with the noise margin  Wink
defiant
Grafter

my snr target appears to be 9 at the moment and thats fine i would adjust the snr target but since my lines been switched back over to bt and joining plusnet the snr has varied that much that adjusting the snr margin would only give me false gains as the snr would DIP at some stage  within 24 hours
when the connection lost power at night the connection resynced with a  snr of  9 and the router synced at 2560
by 9am today the snr margin was sitting at 11db which i thought was the perfect time to get my connection sync back
ive resynced and the target snr has went back to 9db and with a sync of 3328
im convinced my line attenuation now reading 59db instead of the orginal 55/56db is giving me less flexability on my line
i have the ST585 v6 flash_image=6.1.4.3.0 i can adjust snr if i were to want to
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In which case i would fiddle it to get the sync up to 3,500 or just over.
However your comment about the change in attenuation is disturbing - was this with the same router and firmware
defiant
Grafter

yes the line was orignally with bt and the attenuation was 55db with a 2mb fix adsl package from demon i then moved to talk talk LLU service and the attenuation was 55/56db which was pritty much the same i put the slight varation down to the kit talk talk were using and the greater sync speed i was achieving typically 3000-4000kbps  down and 768-832kb upload

since going back onto bts kit my attenuation has been reading 59db
this was all using adsl1 modulation with adsl 2 modulation my reported attenuation on talk talks kit was 54db although i prefered using adsl1 as i felt it gave a more consistant connection speed ive yet to try adsl2+ on my line.
i definitely notice my night time snr is worse than it ever was to my knowledge
defiant
Grafter

for example this never used to happen at all during the day.      towards the end of my contract with talktalk  my line was running fastpath and i was seeing 3000+/800 during the day and getting a stronger margin
i didnt actually realise it was running so badly i will reconnect in a moment to see what happens
defiant
Grafter

i reduced the snr margin a couple of notchs and its not lower the snr much at all heres a picture sync speed hasnt improved as normally would have.
James
Grafter

Why not try forcing it as low as it will go, just to see if you are able to get the synchronisation speed that you were previously able to get?
defiant
Grafter

i would maybe sync at over 4mb but the through put would be unreliable as the snr margin would be to low and this would definitely drop later on in the evening

i will give this a go though james just to experiment im trying not to tamper with things as i dont want this bras profiling system punishing my reconnects
i will report back shortly  Cool
defiant
Grafter

ok so that fired up my sync speed but its more than likely going to crash and burn at some point as i showed in my previous pictures my target  snr went from 9 to 4.5 which isnt normal so this being synced with a target snr of 5 with a low of 3db is going to get into serious problems should the target snr drop 4.5db suddenly. and its at least going to drop a db or two late in the evening as one would expect i guess this proves my line can still sync fast ish ?
James
Grafter

Just because you have a low SNR, it doesn't necessarily mean the line is going to drop.
My line at home has a forced SNR of 3dB and I can't remember it dropping at all.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Given that James now lives on top of the exchange  Grin these results from my connection are more relevant as I can't run at 4,000kbps  overnight without major error problems
Present stats
Noise Margin:     8.1   dB
Connection Rate:  3776  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 53.0  dB
Power:            18.8  dBm
Max Rate:         4096  Kbps
defiant
Grafter

ok now what should i try should i default the snr or what ?  Undecided
crazy amount of errors collected  i knew before trying this it wasnt going to solve my issue the connection has dropped whilst i was at the shop
this line never has a phone connected to it and im running just a master socket with adsl nation filter plate
oldjim i never seem to get more than 18db power down the line i imagine a little more power and i would achieve better signal to noise margins
Oldjim
Resting Legend

To be honest I think you are flogging a dead horse - if I can't run stably at 4000 with an attenuation of 53dB that chances of getting 3500 with 59dB must be very slim.
defiant
Grafter

oldjim your letting your belly rumble if you had read my post you would see my line was holding 3mb fine until a power outage im not looking for a 3.5mb profile
im trying what jamesh suggested
if you compared my two latest images they are from the same sync event on my connection.  Why would  the snr be dancing like that one minute then my lines scraping 0db and the next its got alot of signal to noise ration on some tones it never used to do that ive used router stats before and i used to get a almost straight line that would decrease at night. and my tones would be alot more equal generally.