cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

left hand menus - will they return

Ianwild
Grafter

Re: left hand menus - will they return

I do hope you are wrong about that Chesterfield! The community site and forums are here to bolster the level of on-line support that people can recieve, and no-one has set out to damage that.
One of my personal motivations for pushing the communtiy site format as a seperate thing was as much to remove the link between public names and usernames as far as possible. That's the direct opposite of what you are asking for, but had been a big concern for me for a while, and I know that was shared by others. I believe that there could end up being more contributers now than before as a result, and there were definately people who didn't want to post in the old forums as they regarded their usernames as personal.
Having these forums outside of the PlusNet portal gives us a lot more flexibility and scope when it comes to further development, and I hope you will give us a little time to prove that. Based on the feedback (And perhaps even help) we get from the users of the site, things will change - That was always the plan. You have only seen the first phase of what we have envisaged...
I would ask you to give it a chance - There were always going to be some negativites that came out of a major change like this, and seperating what is crucial from what is easy to get used to is never easy. We haven't ignored the feedback at all, but in the scheme of things I strongly believe the move will be better for everyone and that this will become self evident. This isn't a change for changes sake at all.
Expect us to push people over here from all sorts of places on our current website, as we are very keen to engage our customers more than we have ever done before. I can us now more closely link the community site with the current support portal, using things like RSS feeds, than would have been possible with the old forum system certainly.
Also, please do tell us the specific areas that you want to check on the portal at the same time as you read the forums, and we can have a good look at how we could bring them to you in one place. For example, Zen recently released an API for their customers that allows them to get their usage data in real-time through things like a firefox plugin or desktop application. I personally think that's a great idea and could well be the very thing you are looking for ultimately?
Ian
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Ianwild
For example, Zen recently released an API for their customers that allows them to get their usage data in real-time through things like a firefox plugin or desktop application. I personally think that's a great idea and could well be the very thing you are looking for ultimately?

I think that's a great idea too.
Regards .....
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Quote from: chesterfield
So from this page I have the following options to access my usage stats:
1. have a favourite set up for the odd time I want to use it, which will still require me to log into the member centre anyway.
2. click the community link, then the plusnet one, then the member centre link, then log in as Im on a works pc so dont want the login to be permanently set, then click connection settings, then click view my usage.

Sounds like a job for tabbed browsing. Using Opera at home I'll probably have between 40 and 60 tabs open at any one time, I'd probably just have seperate tabs open for the portal and this forum.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
chesterfield
Grafter

Is nobody actually getting the point.
I do used tabbed browsing, indeed I usually have at least three open during my normal working and then perhaps two for "away from work" interests.  Why should I now have to open another to look at any account information such as view my usage, and a seperate one for the forum.
Using the hiding peoples actual usernames as part of the forum change as a reason for this disjointed affair doesnt seem sensible either.
Why not just deploy a phpbb mod allowing users to elect a different "screen name" instead of showing their registered name - 10 minute modification to phpbb and its job done.
As for merging the various vISP contributors on one board, why not just merge the relevant sql databases and change the necessary phpbb configs to point to one database?  Ive only had 18 months experience of phpbb and even Ive learnt that.
Anyone concerned about having their plusnet username displayed on the forums would no doubt die of shock if they realise a mass NSLookup of ip address ranges owned by PN will net thousands of PN usernames in a few minutes! So thats no real reason either.
How exactly will making the forums harder to access and removing their appearance as an integrated part of a website portal encourage more posters too?
If the main push was to seperate out plusnet usernames from the forum software, I can see very little logic in developing a whole new disjointed area instead of simply modifying phpbb to allow screen names, whilst still retaining all the functionality associated with the forum Huh
If PN are keen to engage customers more than ever, why remove the integration of the forums with the very portal they access???
If I were a new customer and had a question or wanted support, I can go to the portal and navigate my way around.  If PN wanted to engage that customer or direct them into the arms of the community, why segregate that section of the website?
An area where customers and staff can chat alike whilst still having the tools right there at hand one click away - strangely enough just like the old forums.
If people are struggling with simple issues and come to the site for support with simple issues, is it not reasonable to expect that they may not be using tabbed browsing either as its a new and advanced feature to many.
Although others must share different views, I certainly do feel from a customer perspective seeking support, this has been very poorly implemented.
Hopefully Ill be proved wrong as I say, but just looking today alone I think the level of posting is already down.  It would be interesting to put together some statistics of number of posts over the last 3 months say, and the number in the next three.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As for merging the various vISP contributors on one board, why not just merge the relevant sql databases and change the necessary phpbb configs to point to one database?  Ive only had 18 months experience of phpbb and even Ive learnt that.

So how would that handle user fredbloggs on Plusnet and a different user fredbloggs on F9 and another user fredbloggs on FreeOnline?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chesterfield
Grafter

Also, the old PHPBB implementation was dying on its backside.
It was so heavily modded that all sorts of peculiarity's existed.For example, as an admin, all posts since January were always marked as unread.

Starting with a standard install of SMF and Wordpress, the dev guys can layer in extra stuff as we move along.

How exactly does the latter differ from the former?Huh
If you are saying the previous forum was dying because it was heavily modified, what difference will starting afresh amd modifying again make?
It all sounds like a load of bunkum myself,  personaly running a phpbb board that is so heavily modified it barely resembles phpbb, and accomplishing this starting with absolutely no knowledge what so ever smacks very much that the mods on the previous PN forum must have been implemented either very badly or the reasons for creating this new "community" are a lot more to do with seperating the pottentially harmful conversations from the nice shiny adverts.
As for how would merging databases handle users with the same names for various isp's, if usernames were taged with a user id (not necesarily visible to the user) and the field username were allowed dupliactes it would work just fine.
How exactly does the current set up allow for more than one person from any account contribute to the forums?
Registration is made through the ISP portal, and if you try to register again it states you are already registered, so how exactly would more than one user from any one account access and contribute to these boards?
Running my own business and having to manage customer requirements and our own staffs time etc, it seems perfectly obvious to me why these forums have been sidelined away from the main portal, at least have the decency to be straight about it - though Im guessing the top brass have sold the concept to the support staff that this project is in the interest of the customers and making things better.
Take a look around....
The concerns over style being raised back in April have been ignored and the site has gone live anyway.
The integration with the portal is completely lost, and now any current issues or problems are not immediatley accessible and able to be seen as easily by pottential customers.
Any mention of bringing back said integration is now "put it in the wish list and it will be considered as and when time permits".
Its all fairly obvious that this is a major backward step for the consumer, but the spin doctors have certainly earnt their crust in selling this as a plus for the ISP.
Anyway, it seems fairly clear that the selling job has been a success, Ill put my efforts into other things I need to sort for now, but Im fairly confident that in a few months time this segregation of the community from the portal will have become the norm, and sadly the continuity and fully integrated nature of the old forums will be a distant memory.
I really dont think anything other than action will convince me that the future holds anything different.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Is nobody actually getting the point.

Maybe I just don't understand the point. Maybe it's because I've always used the portal forum in one tab and if I want to access any other part of the forum I'll always use a new tab. I'd never click any of the links in the forum tab because that would take me away from the forum in that tab.
Why not just deploy a phpbb mod allowing users to elect a different "screen name" instead of showing their registered name - 10 minute modification to phpbb and its job done.

Wish it was a simple as that, any change like that would need to go through the full change control and QA processes.
Running my own business and having to manage customer requirements and our own staffs time etc, it seems perfectly obvious to me why these forums have been sidelined away from the main portal, at least have the decency to be straight about it - though Im guessing the top brass have sold the concept to the support staff that this project is in the interest of the customers and making things better.

We are being straight about, whether you choose to believe what we say is up to you but we are talking the truth and there are no conspiracies either.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
chesterfield
Grafter

Wish it was a simple as that, any change like that would need to go through the full change control and QA processes.

And implementing a whole new board structure on a separate server, having users create new logins and passwords, thus creating another support channel immediatley, recreating all the moderators, transfering over necessary stickies, having to put effort into transfering post count, is a lot swifter than changing the existing board.  Roll_eyes
If there arent any ulterior motives for this drastic backward step or any conspiracies behind it, then there are certainly a lot of ill considered changes being made.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The old portal forums were first installed over four years ago, each portal had a seperate install so there were four different sets of forums, five if you include plus.net.uk. The forums are also heavily modified from the original phpBB code to integrate it with the portal. As such whenever a phpBB patch is released not only does that require 5 sets of upgrades but the upgrades all have to be done on alpha manually then rolled to beta then gamma then live. As a phpBB admin I'm sure you can appreciate how many upgrades there have been to phpBB over the years. 2.0.4 was the original version we installed 2.0.22 is the latest release.
Creating one forum means only one upgrade is required when a patch is released plus we can take advantage of newer software to add features that have been requested that just wouldn't be possible otherwise. I don't think there would have been as much gain had we spent the same amount of time developing the phpBB forums because we'd still be splitting time between 5 forums and would be unlikely to make the backend upgradeability easier.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Not to mention that the general consensus from the moderators was that they'd prefer SMF over phpBB.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
chesterfield
Grafter

Or if the database was merged and three templates created, one phpbb installation could have served all isp's.
There will still be beta testing to be had with whatever software is being used, so thats hardly an argument for changing - or are changes just being rolled out onto the live version on this forum without beta testing?
Newer software allows you to add newer functionality??  Eh?
As both software versions are open source, then modifications allowing new functionality are available in both.
Given the lower popularity of SMF I would also be surprised if the availability of desired modifications is going to be enough to satisfy requirements.  Leaving no option other than in house custom modifications to be made, resulting in exactly the same situation making updates a manual process and thus back to square one.
As for removing the integration of the portal from the forums to such an extent as it may as well be a separate entity alltogether purely because people preffer how the moderation tools work is just plain daft.
It truly does appear as this has been well and truly sold as a good idea.
Well theres no portal integration - Ive got to log into the member centre, click the discussion link, then click another link to "really" get to the discussions, then log in again to access these discussion boards.  Its completely disjointed.
What is the point in even stating that integration is coming and there is so much that can be done with these boards if they are going to be made live in such a poorly implemented way.
People have asked for the colours and layout to be changed since April in the beta apparently, yet absolutely no notice what so ever has been taken almost 4 months later and the boards have gone live regardless.
It either means the beta was just done to make it "look" as though PN actually cared about what users thought, and releasing without taking any notice would seem to suggest thats exactly what the beta was.
If its too hard to react to requests for the layout and colours to be changed within four months, I dread to think how long it will take for any serious integration back with the portal will take, if it ever appears.
We are just going round in circles here, I am convinced this is 100% a completely negative move for the forums and their status as a positive discriminator from the opposition.  The staff all seem to hold a different view.
As others have said, lets leave it 6 months and see exactly what these new boards do for PN.
My predictions are:
Lower posting levels due to disjointed feel from the boards.
None or very few of the original portal integrations included.
Given the new log ins there will now always be the need to log in seperately from the portal resulting in this segregation feeling from the portal now being permanent.
theblisses
Grafter

I just find that I am having difficulty in reading the contents of this forum compared with the pevious one.  Clearly this can partly be put down to inexperience of the new format.  Somehow it seems to take an age to reach the bottom of a page; is it due to font size?
It would be nice to have an easy way to return to the members Homepage on every page of this forum.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As others have said, lets leave it 6 months and see exactly what these new boards do for PN.

I think that is the wisest comment you have made. In the meantime I would suggest that having made your comments very well known on one aspect of the Community site you leave it there.
I think you should start to look around and get to know how these forums work - they have many features "out of the box" which are only obtained in phpBB by adding more and more mods. For example have a look at the full list of the BBcodes available here: http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=22.0;sort=subject

My predictions are:
Lower posting levels due to disjointed feel from the boards.
None or very few of the original portal integrations included.
Given the new log ins there will now always be the need to log in seperately from the portal resulting in this segregation feeling from the portal now being permanent.

Even if in 6 months time some of the things you predict are even partly true (I think you are wrong - I've seen several people saying that they would not post on the portal forums because it publicised their username - and yes I know that that can be got from elsewhere), the new site presents so many opportunities.
The blogs are excellent and I think it was bad that they were separate from the forums - in fact I think it is far more important that they are integrated with the forums than the forums being with the portal - everything discussing the way Plusnet works is now together.
The most constructive thing you could do is to engage fully with the new forums and not keep harping on about the one aspect. Not least because it would allow the PN staff to concentrate on building up the Community to the state they have planned and not going round and round in circles on the same aspect. If in spite of that in 6 months time you are proved right you would have real grounds for saying "I told you so".
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Liam
Grafter

I really don't think it's anywhere near as simple as just merging the backend databases.
There is just so much duplication in what is already there, we would have to make all the duplicated primary key's unique and then hack the code to bits to use the new primary key's rather than 'Username' etc...
It's not just Username it's Posts, Threads, PostIDs, ThreadIDs, PMs.  Not only would we need to make all of these things unique, but we would have to ensure that everything that references something else is updated to what we have changed the original reference to (if you're with me).
We looked into doing something similar some time ago, bringing F9 / FOL customers onto the PlusNet portal.  It just wasn't possible without a lot of work and hacking the code even further.
In recent times, we've learnt that heavily hacking the code of a public, open source app is not a great idea.  With the platform we have now we can upgrade functionality and apply security patches a lot more easily.  One of the things we wanted to get away with was the hacked integration into the Portal that we had before - for this reason. 
This is way more future-proof.  And as Dave said, previously when phpbb released upgrades it was quite some work for us to manually merge the updates with our custom code, 5 times, QAing each and then rolling each to live.
I really don't see this as a step backwards whatsoever.  I see it as a massive step forwards.  I think there are several reasons for this.
There are some people who might have found it inconvenient loging into the Portal to access the forums.  Perhaps they didn't want to setup auto-login on the Portal because they didn't want to give other members of the household access to account details.  Here, they can save their login and automatically log in.  That is one of the benefits to me.
People wanted to be able to post from a different username over here.  Not necessarily because of security concerns but also because they didn't realise their account username would be seen by everyone on the forums and it was not relative to them.  I experienced this with my 'martinfamily' username, James_H had the same.  They may want to select a seperate alias to use to post from.
We can develop the community site faster than we can with the Portal.  Any changes we make here can be implemented fairly quickly and easily.  With the Portal we have to be a lot more careful and the codebase is a lot larger.  There is a higher-risk of us breaking something whenever we roll something out to the Portal.  The Community Site is completely seperate.
We can bolt-on new functionality easily and have a roadmap to do so.  This will become a fully community-driven site.  There just wasn't the 'space' to do that on the Portal.
The Community Site servers have no access to our core customer databases.  The Portal pushes the user-config to the Community Site servers and that's about as far as the integration goes - for good reason.
Finally, with regards to your comments about us trying to hide  the forums and push them away from the Portal to hide potentially negative comments.  I think it's completely the opposite.  By creating this community site, I think we're really blowing the trumpet and saying - we like to engage with our customers and get into active debate.  A whole website dedicated to PlusNet customers and staff to engage, debate and discuss.  Not just a hidden away in the Member Centre.  Guests can read these forums a lot more easily than they can the Portal forums, no login required.  We've put a 'Community' link in the header of every Portal page and we'll push people here on Help Pages etc...
We may just have to agree to disagree, but i do hope that you'll give us a chance.  Naturally, we really want suggestions from you guys as to how we can improve the site - please get over to the Ideas and Wishlist forum and detail how we can make it better for you.  We will certainly look into implementing ideas that are popular within the community.
Liam
Grafter

Quote from: Liam
Not just a hidden away in the Member Centre.  Guests can read these forums a lot more easily than they can the Portal forums, no login required. 

Picking up on this point, I think that now means that search engines can crawl the forums and contents of posts, where they couldn't before (due to the login).  Another benefit, if you ask me 🙂