cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep getting disconnected....

boavon
Grafter

keep getting disconnected....

...this Sunday morning, 4 May.  Anyone else?
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: keep getting disconnected....

I'm sure there are one or two people throughout the world that are being disconnected like you Wink
Your comment is too general to really answer.
What exchange are you on?
Are you losing sync with the exchange or just can't access websites.
What are your line stats and what ADSL equipment are you using?
Have you tried disconnecting for 30 minutes and trying again as this will clear down any problem connections to the exchange.
Are all your phones, faxes, old dialup modems, sky boxes, alarms all connected via an ADSL filter/splitter?
Do you get the problem connecting directly to the master socket or to the test socket behind the lower removable section of the master socket?
Is there a pattern to the disconnects - i.e. do they happen at the same period i.e. every 5 mins?

boavon
Grafter

Peter,  Many thanks for you interest and response.
I am on an exchange in the West of England and I assume your question was aimed at trying to find out whether my particular exchange was currently having problems or undergoing maintanance.
I haven't tested whether I am losing sync - to be honest it's a skill set I practice very infrequently and often forget exactly the best way to determine.  When my line is disconnected I cannot access websites, when it isn't I can - hence I managed the initial post - just before it went down again.
Line stats - can't be bothered to go and find out just now - not relevant i gauged.
ADSL equipment - a 3COM wireless router - never given any probs for some time - but know how to configure and fix should it ever twitch
every time it disconnected I tried connecting it - it lasted a few minutes/seconds and disconnected again - I kep trying
only have 1 phone and one router - both through same filter/splitter - never given prtoblems before
master socket and test socket - not going there - it has never given problems.
only happend this morning - hence my specific question finding out wheter anyone was having similar prioblems
Although,it is early May - wild goose chases are not my scene.
Anyway, it is now stable again for the time being so everyone return to something else.
Thanks
Mark
Grafter

Hi boavon.
Wild goose chase it may seem and I know the diagnostics can seem like jumping through hoops at times.
However we really have to try those tests in order to effectively diagnose what the problem is. In essence, before we raise a fault to BT, we have to get customers to eliminate each of those areas. If you dont and a BT engineer arrives, finds that the problem lies beyond the master socket, then you stand a very good chance of getting time related engineer charges applied, which arent pretty at @£164.
Frequent disconnects are symptomatic of internal wiring issues, dodgy filters (yes they do deteriorate) a piece of hardware becoming faulty, electrical interferance or a line fault. We need to eliminate everything else before we can even get to the line fault.

boavon
Grafter

I thought this was a community forum.  I simply was trying to accertain whether anyone else was having similar problems.  Does PlusNet never acknowledge that sometimes the problems do lie in PlusNet.  Why do you have to resort every now and again to the brutal re-boot of various servers?  I was not asking anyone to raise a line fault - I'm perfectly capable of doing that after various diagnosis.
I did not raise a ticket - and nor would I do so until I had eliminated a number of things.  I know folk are often well meqning.  I just wish at times you would credit some of your posters with a bit of sense.  I suppose evrey time from now on I'm going to have to add onto the end of my posts that I have read the stickies, I have searched previous posts and archives, I am totally au fait with wireless routers, filters, copper wire, test boxes, TCP/IP, UNIX, LINUX and Windows software going back to 1.1, etc etc.  Experince tells me that when conducting diagnostics,within the limitations of the resouce available to you it is wise to try a number of angles and approach from a number of ends.  Why don't we just acknowledge that both of us are trying to do the same thing?  Had their been a common fault being experienced by many or had a server been acting oddly somewhere then my original post may have stopped me chasing geese.
geewizz
Grafter

I think it could be something to do with the proximity of your bed to the bedroom wall. Try moving the bed to the centre of the room so that you can get out either side in the mornings. Smiley
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: boavon
I thought this was a community forum.  I simply was trying to accertain whether anyone else was having similar problems.  Does PlusNet never acknowledge that sometimes the problems do lie in PlusNet. 

Plusnet never say it a problem their end
I had master socket, internal wiring, phones,fax,orange wire,rain,wind and the best one ever was the earthquake we had.
My last voip sip failed on 5 different phone and they said it was down to ports in my router.  It was up and running within hour without me changing anything strange that.
So the answer is NO never
puddy
Denzil
Grafter

That's unfair. Anyone who reads these forums regularly would see many instances of PN admitting some problem or other is down to them. The truth is that the vast majority of connection problems are nothing to do with PN per se, but either the user's equipment or the BT line.
Boavon, these people are trying to help you, don't have a go at them.