cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help! BT engineer booked to do wrong thing?

jheenan
Grafter

Re: help! BT engineer booked to do wrong thing?

Quote from: itsme
A Frames guy would do a lift and shift which has the same affect to changing the line splitter.

Really? I've already had (I think) 5 lift and shifts, so if that's true it'd suggest the line splitter isn't the problem.
I think in the end something did happen this morning about 09:30 (I lost internet + phone service for 30-90seconds), but whatever was done didn't cure the problem and the DSL still drops when the phone rings Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you disconnect your phone and then call your number does the ADSL still drop?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jheenan
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If you disconnect your phone and then call your number does the ADSL still drop?

Yep, and it happens with two different routers (one draytek, one netgear) connected into the test socket - and the BT engineer tried this too and it still dropped, 99.999% certain it's not a local fault.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Has the engineer finished now, and have things got any better? Here's hoping...
jheenan
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I've not had any further contact from the engineer since he phoned and said he wasn't the right type of engineer to change a line splitter, so from this end I've not really got any idea if anything has/will be done, other than noticing that I seemed to lose phone/broadband for a minute or so about 30 minutes after the engineer called. I guess the engineer will have sent some notes back to you so perhaps that'll hold a further clue.
The ADSL still loses sync when the phone rings.
Thanks
Joseph
jheenan
Grafter

Apparently it's now been escalated to BT's "EM" team (EM could be "Elements Management", but my memory is terrible).
plus expect a response within 24 hours.
This is the first time that I've had the same person update my question/ticket two times in a row! Hopefully that's a good sign.
jheenan
Grafter

Though I should report back, as I think this is all resolved now, although it's not clear how/why!
It was finally resolved it seems by an engineer visit on the 18th April. It's not clear what the engineer actually did (he told he that the line had been set to a 3M capped profile, but plus say the line isn't capped and my observations also tend to suggest there's no cap), but I've held sync for 10+ days at the time of writing with plenty of incoming phone calls and no changes at my end...!
A long the way there was an awful lot of weird stuff; BT tried to close the fault several times saying it was a known problem with Fujitsu kit in the exchange, or it could be fixed by 20CN, or that it must be fixed as the line's been stable for 48 hours, and I'm not sure BT did ever change the line splitter. BT's high level escalations team apparently got quite involved. To plus.net's credit, they were very persistent in ignoring the various curve balls that various parts of BT tried to throw at them!
CISAS also looked at it and decided I was due a £45 refund for the period when I didn't have a fully working service and £150 compensation for problems with how BT/plus handled the fault.
Not sure what to do now; at one stage I was determined to move away from plus.net, but now I think I'll probably stay - particularly if I can persuade them to let me have the "pro" add on! (But that's another story...)