cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extending range with another router

hedgerow

extending range with another router

I  have a long thin house and I wanted to add a second router at the far end to get better coverage.

I brought a new router and a long rj45 cable and set it up.

when i look at my own plusnet router and a map of its connections and layout i dont see the cable identified. its plugged into LAN 1 and should show up.

what am i missing here?

6 REPLIES 6
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: extending range with another router

Possibly nothing!
Have you any devices connected to the far end router?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

How have you connected the second router? What you need is a switch/wireless access point at the far end, not a router. What routers do you have? You need to go through the manuals of these and see if they have an access point mode. Failing that come back here with what routers you have for more advice on setting the slave up, if possible.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Assuming that the second router is in fact a ADSL modem / router, you should find that plugging an Ethernet cable between the two routers and turning off DHCP in the second router AND ensuring that its own address is different to the first router … should work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@hedgerow

Another option is to buy a Powerline kit. This effectively uses your internal ring main as a network (RJ45) cable. It's a bit tidier. You can have single band or dual band wifi options and the costs reflect that.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010-powerline...

PS - what router do you currently have supplied by PN?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

The OP has already run an Ethernet cable. This will always give better performance than Powerline. Also a Powerline pair will cost more than an Access Point.

In my opinion, for reliable connection an Ethernet cable should be the first choice with Powerline and wireless extenders a distant second choice where it is impracticable to run a cable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 - I was just suggesting it as an option if the OP wasn't aware of it and/or wanted a tidier option than running an ethernet cable. I know it's arguably more expensive.

I don't know what they want to use the extended range for, so no idea if the ethernet/powerline performance was an issue and how the current ethernet is plumbed in.

I've used both and currently using powerline as it is tidier for me (downstairs to upstairs). It's only used for email/internet so the loss of performance is a price I'm willing to pay.

I thought it might be a good time to beat the drum about the HH6 as well! 🙂