cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

continued slow speed

krs181067
Grafter

continued slow speed

After upgrading to extra from value my speed as dropped instead of potentially increasing.
0.7  now 0.35.
My line is under test, I'll post results here so that I do not interfere with the ticket and add extra time to the process.
Tuesday Morning 0.35
kel
10 REPLIES 10
grahamt
Rising Star

Re: continued slow speed

When exactly did you change? It could just be the ups and downs of the training period, but we'd need to see your router stats to be able to estimate what you should be getting. Could you post the output of the screen that shows sync speeds, attenuation and noise margin?
Graham
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As posted in your other thread forcing ADSL2 synchronisation may help here.
krs181067
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
As posted in your other thread forcing ADSL2 synchronisation may help here.

I thought the router I used could not force synch? or am I wrong.
krs181067
Grafter

Quote from: grahamt
When exactly did you change? It could just be the ups and downs of the training period, but we'd need to see your router stats to be able to estimate what you should be getting. Could you post the output of the screen that shows sync speeds, attenuation and noise margin?
Graham

changed on the 6th. my speed as of now is a wopping 0.25.
router stats
Where can I get this info from? excuse my ignorance but all I want to do is turn the laptop on and get connected! I've pulled this of the belkin router set up page 192.168.2.1

kel
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Some routers can force sync on other protocols, so long as those protocols are available to you. ADSL2+ customers should be able to force sync on ADSL2+, ADSL2 or ADSL1. I'm not sure how you do this in a Belkin, could you advise what model router you have and we can have a quick google for you.
grahamt
Rising Star

You got the right router stats. Ouch! - an attenuation of 72 means you're on a very long line. You noise margin is 4 - a bit lower than standard so your problem (at the moment at least) isn't BT's dynamic line management setting the noise margin at a high level (which would slow down your sync speed). Your sync speed is 0.96Mbs, so if you're only getting 0.25Mbs throughput it could be because your IP profile has been lowered after a previous problem with the line.
Your IP profile is set by BT (and once it drops it can take a while before it goes up again), then Plusnet matches it in their own settings. The matching isn't instantaneous and sometimes needs to be manually nudged by PN staff. So you need to see what both your profile settings are - your speed will be limited by whichever setting is lower. To see the BT IP profile, run a BT speedtest at http://speedtester.bt.com/. To see the Plusnet IP profile go to the Member Centre, log in and then navigate to Connection Settings.. High-Speed Broadband. The Plusnet IP profile is called 'Current line speed'.
Post the results here, and if the PN IP profile is lower than BT's you can ask one of the staff members to nudge it up.
As you are on such a long line it may be difficult to keep your line stable, so you might get speed drops from time to time.
Graham
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

could you advise what model router you have and we can have a quick google for you.

It seems like a 8633 was mentioned in the other thread
my router is a a belkin f5d8633-4

Had a quick look at the manual and I can't see a way of forcing sync mode on that router. Some older Belkin models had 'hidden' pages where you could do some 'tweaking' and/or a cli interface but they seem to have removed them from the recent models.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

krs181067
Grafter

Quote from: grahamt
You got the right router stats. Ouch! - an attenuation of 72 means you're on a very long line. You noise margin is 4 - a bit lower than standard so your problem (at the moment at least) isn't BT's dynamic line management setting the noise margin at a high level (which would slow down your sync speed). Your sync speed is 0.96Mbs, so if you're only getting 0.25Mbs throughput it could be because your IP profile has been lowered after a previous problem with the line.
Your IP profile is set by BT (and once it drops it can take a while before it goes up again), then Plusnet matches it in their own settings. The matching isn't instantaneous and sometimes needs to be manually nudged by PN staff. So you need to see what both your profile settings are - your speed will be limited by whichever setting is lower. To see the BT IP profile, run a BT speedtest at http://speedtester.bt.com/. To see the Plusnet IP profile go to the Member Centre, log in and then navigate to Connection Settings.. High-Speed Broadband. The Plusnet IP profile is called 'Current line speed'.
Post the results here, and if the PN IP profile is lower than BT's you can ask one of the staff members to nudge it up.
As you are on such a long line it may be difficult to keep your line stable, so you might get speed drops from time to time.
Graham

info attached
I've been told that there is a fault on the line by plusnet, BT are looking into it.
What bugs me is that I have never had problems with plusnet until I've upgraded and started with plusnet phone.
kel
krs181067
Grafter

Quote from: krs181067
After upgrading to extra from value my speed as dropped instead of potentially increasing.
0.7  now 0.35.
My line is under test, I'll post results here so that I do not interfere with the ticket and add extra time to the process.
Tuesday Morning 0.35
kel

still slow at 0.35
any feedback from BT? please let me know.
kel
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No update as of yet but the next stage will likely be an engineer visit. Could you please reply to your ticket with potential times? (8am - 1pm, 1pm - 6pm Monday - Friday) we'll then be able to move on this one as quickly as possible.