Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adjust the connection speed?

FIXED
teekaihong1
Hooked

adjust the connection speed?

hi there

I did a test on my connection with the link suggestedand it is about 1.44 mbps, doing a further diagnostic, and it said "IP profile for my line is about 11 mbps". As far as I know, my location is nearer to the exchange and should give between 8 and 10 mbps download spees on average as it did for all my previous ISP providers

I understand I may have to wait for 10 days for the speed to stablise since I only get connected two days ago,  but with 1.44 mbps, that is quite slow and I am almost losing the will to live with that, please if you can help. Thank you.

Kai

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: adjust the connection speed?

Are you testing using wireless or an Ethernet connection to your computer? It is important to test using a wired connection to eliminate wireless problems.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

teekaihong1
Hooked

thank you for the suggestion, i quickly stick the ethernet in and it went up 10.56, but we are not suppose to leave that ethernet on forever, right? so, once this is removed, the speed becomes 0.56, that's the problem i faced.

Baldrick1

Sorry I don't understand what you are saying, What do you think you shouldn't leave on?

Moderator and Customer

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @teekaihong1 

Quite the contrary actually - we advise on using a LAN connection as much as possible. 

WiFi is merely an optional alternate gateway to access the internet - a wired LAN (Ethernet) connection is always the primary connection method, and is the only one which can be guaranteed on both speed and stability.

Thanks, 

MoR

teekaihong1
Hooked

To be honest, this is the first time I heard it to be the case. I didn't do that for all previous ISP providers, and the worked fine without the ethernet connection working about 8 to 10 download speed. Anyway, thanks for the advise.

Baldrick1

@teekaihong1 

If you have Plusnet Hub One router and prefer to use wireless then try separating the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. See here for instructions. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

By 'pointing your browser to 192.168.1.254' what is meant is enter this into the address (not search) fielsd of your internet browser 

After doing this, providing your devices support both bands, then try each in turn and use the best. Some devices don't like them synchronised.

Moderator and Customer

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cheers for that @Baldrick1 

@teekaihong1 - if you need any more help of info give one of us staff members a shout. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

teekaihong1
Hooked

hi there, thanks very much, also tried it, but didn't work, can't see the 2.4 and 5GH on the screen as mentioned in the post, I took a snapshot here, please help, thank you

Kai

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix

Ah- you're on the Hub Zero ADSL connection @teekaihong1

On your case I would advise to click into advanced settings, pop in the admin password, navigate to WiFi and change the channel to either 1 6 or 11. 

This is give you the best possible wireless connection and speed on your service. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to ADSL Broadband.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
teekaihong1
Hooked

i made the change and re-test the speed without the ethernet cable, and now running at 10.48 for download, i think should work fine, thank you for the work