cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xenta & Disgo WiFi radio tvs only connect when Thomson router security disabled

Xenta

Xenta & Disgo WiFi radio tvs only connect when Thomson router security disabled

Got a new Xenta WiFi radio television and the only way I can get it to work through v8 of the Thomson router software is by disabling the security (and allowing public use of my bandwidth).
Anybody else experienced this issue with Xenta or Disgo WiFI radio/tvs?
Anybody know if Thomson is going to fix this for a future software release (or do I have to go and buy a proper wireless broadband router and bin the Thomson router)?
8 REPLIES 8
Xenta

Re: Xenta & Disgo WiFi radio tvs only connect when Thomson router security disabled

Have also reported the fault to Technicolor (makers of the Thomson router) just in case they can help.
Xenta

Re: Xenta & Disgo WiFi radio tvs only connect when Thomson router security disabled

And here is a link to the product concerned:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/227440
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

The specs for the Xenta claim that it supports WPA & WPA2 so there shouldn't be any problem with the TG585v8. Have you tried changing the SSID on the TG585. The default one is quite long and I believe there were some issues with other devices due to the length of the SSID.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90655.0.html
The 'plusnetwireless etc.' SSID is too long for registration on the mac.
The explanation I was given is that this slows down the connection enough for the mac to assume it failed.
That's why the wireless icon flickers when you try to connect.
It nearly registers, then gives up.
I changed my SSID and have had no problems since.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Xenta

Thank you MisterW. That worked.  Smiley
I also had to shorten the length of the password too.
But I'm not using a Mac. I'm using an ordinary PC.
Thank you for solving what was a security problem.
The icon would appear and then disappear. It would convince me that it had connected but it hadn't. It was behaving like a ghost.
Didn't get any response from Technicolor and the Plusnet telephone support staff were flummoxed.
Funny thing is that I very nearly fixed it myself by shortening the SSID and password but at the time I decided that I should stick to the detault configuration so as not to make things worse.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

But I'm not using a Mac. I'm using an ordinary PC.

It looks like the problem is, as I suspected, possibly more widespread that just with the MAC. Whether it is a fault with the TG585 or whether it is fault with the other devices not accepting long SSID's properly, well that's another question...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

found my SSID with the insssid.com  but cant find it anywhere on the TG interface, can anyone point to how you change it?
mine is 13 Characters
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: pierre_pierre
… can anyone point to how you change it (SSID)?

Click Home Network
Click on WLAN: on the display (which shows the SSID)
Click Configure in the top right corner
Edit Network Name (SSID) as required
Click Apply
Don't forget to reconnect any wireless-connected devices, including the one you might just have made the change on.
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

found it, wasnt obvious, the older menu didnt hide it so well,only had this one for two months, previous two years