cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst connection EVER

brennanthurston
Grafter

Worst connection EVER

And I'm back again....after suffering in silence (never had such an abysmal service/connectivity as with Plusnet) for months, today is the day I can no longer put up with dropping in and out of the internet.

To answer your next question:

No, not only Wifi. Both, ether cable and Wifi don't work. I get notifications that "a broadband connection cannot be found"/isn't available.

I've complained before and have been fobbed off as stupid, ignorant, OAP etc.

I'm coming to the end of my contract and just want to have a decent connectivity for the remaining couple of months. BTW I'm not begging/asking for it, I PAY FOR IT (IMO a lot of money for what I get or don't get)

Any advice ? (not expecting any help since I didn't get help the last time around and the time before that and the time before that)

Jule

14 REPLIES 14
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Worst connection EVER

Hi there,

Just testing your line, and I'm seeing a high amount of errors:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 22.3 45.5
SNR Margin: 6.0 4.8
Errored Seconds: 0 278
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 7640374 172983891
Speed: 1155 4099

My tests show a loop on the line, which is basically a short circuit on the line. This could be a faulty piece of equipment or something breaking the loop such as something going through the line.

If you haven't already, I'd advise to try plugging your router into something called your test socket. Explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

This bypasses your internal wiring.

If you are still having problems, I've raised a ticket on to your account that you can respond to.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Just to add, this loop fault is likely to be the underlying issue behind the errored seconds which would cause an intermittent connection.

Let us know how you get on with the checks.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
brennanthurston
Grafter

Ok, things are getting worse by the day.

Now the line is worse than my very first internet connection back in 1995 (dial-up with the kitchen clock next to the computer). Nothing works, and most pages fail to connect times and times again before I get anywhere.

As just happened when i wanted to log into this forum.

Sorry, my browser is set to German, but the info is certainly the same in any language and looks the same (see attachment).

I am fed up. DO SOMETHING!!!!! GET SOME ENGINEER OUT! (no, I'm not paying)

Jule

brennanthurston
Grafter

Edit:

I have never heard of this gadget (I got an email from Plusnet with the info, thanks), haven't got one and don't see why I should do YOUR work for the excruciating money (for little service).

I am not going to plug in anything (especially a thing I don't have). This is very much an NHS approach where you keep patching up superficial problems rather than do a proper job.

Jule

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I have never heard of this gadget

Which gadget? @Anoush has asked for you to try in the test socket, this eliminates the internal wiring and helps mitigate against any potential engineer cost if the fault is caused by something internal.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@brennanthurston - Please be polite and accommodating when Mods/Staff have asked you nicely what the problem may be and how to resolve it.

Yes, we understand your frustrations, but please, being mature about the whole thing goes a long way.

brennanthurston
Grafter

Polite?

I'm beyond being polite.

I'm probably more mature than any other of your naive customers.

I know the value of customer service and I can recognize a non existing one.

If you don't deliver I don't see why I should be polite.

Get going and do something about my internet connectivity.

Or are you already on the "Let's punish her for not being polite" agenda?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've retested your line @brennanthurston and I am still picking up a loop fault.

We are happy to arrange an engineer to investigate this for you however if the problem lies with your internal wiring/equipment then the visit would become chargeable I'm afraid.

Testing your broadband, there are still considerable errors.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 22.3 42.5
SNR Margin: 6.0 3.0
Errored Seconds: 0 727
HEC Errors: 9  
Cell Count: 866921 2650848
Speed: 1192 4217

In order to try to alleviate these errors I have reset your line, moving the SNR Margin (see above) upwards. This can help combat the interference likely caused by the loop on the line.

Things are now looking better, but there are still more errors than I'd like to see:

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
41.5 4.1 150 N/A 3086031 3968
mage
Dabbler

@brennanthurston You are being asked to connect directly to your master socket to eliminate the possibility that wiring within your property is the cause. If you don't see a speed improvement when connected directly to the outside world, then the wiring outside is at fault. If you are using an extension socket for your modem/router, the wiring for the extension socket within the house could be creating most or all of the problem. Outside the property, BT fixes at no cost to you, inside the house there is nothing that BT provided apart from the master socket, which is why that work is chargeable (or that we need to fix for ourselves).

It's why you are being asked the questions, to determine whether the problem is within the house. After they get an answer to the "master socket" test, they can either fix the problem outside, or tell you how much it will cost to have them come indoors and fix the parts that they did not provide.

brennanthurston
Grafter

No further discussion, get my connection sorted.

I offered "Any time slot" for one of your engineers to take a look.....no reply/reaction.

I have to use another connection to get online at all....not the idea when paying good money on a monthly basis for virtually no service.

You wonder why people are rude? Because people get fed up with this .....

Get my line sorted at least to a standard that I can survive the next two months until I can switch providers without some horrendous exit fees.

I am not begging or being unpleasant, I'm sick and tired of Plusnet. I insist on a solution as a paying (certainly not valued) customer.

Jule

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I am really sorry to hear your problem is still ongoing. I've looked into your account @brennanthurston and I'm unable to see any appointment dates you've advised us of.

Please can you reply to this ticket with the requested information and I will book the engineer for you.

brennanthurston
Grafter

Bloody-minded?

No, angry beyond words. I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER....no, not fibre-I am soooo sorry- but basic which is more expensive than in many other parts of the EU

Help?

You bloody bet (to stick with the terminology)

There are so many contradictions with this connectivity/phone line problem that it is probably better to start from scratch....

Or leave the country before everything falls apart

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I believe you may be referring to this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/No-ethernet-and-wifi/m-p/1428055 I am sorry for the comments and as discussed via private message I'll call you on Monday to try to resolve this for you.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

I believe that this should now be resolved for you following the engineer visit this morning and our discussion over on social media. Please do let us know if there's anything else we can help with

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.