Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows reinstall: no internet

FIXED
Baldricky
Grafter
Fixes: 6

Windows reinstall: no internet

I've reinstalled Windows before on my trusted XP machine (not with Plusnet) and not had any problems but this time it's got me well beaten! 

I've carefully set the ip addresses back to what they were and Windows tells I am connected to my 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11G (54Mbps) USB Adapter and my signal strength is excellent. Despite this I can not ping my router (192.168.1.254) as I can on this laptop. The XP machine can be pinged from the laptop (assuming it is correctly finding it).

As recommended I've unchecked the Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network box due to an initial error message "unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network".

Here are my settings..

IP Address:               192.168.1.250
   Subnet mask:            255.255.255.0
   Defalut Gateway:      192.168.1.254
   Primary DNS:            212.159.6.9 (I've also tried 212.159.13.49)
   Secondary DNS:       212.159.6.10 (I've also tried 212.159.13.50)

I've been on this for 5 days now (not all the time, I might add LOL) and feel sure I've overlooked something.

Any suggestions please?

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Windows reinstall: no internet

You ought not to be specifying the address details in the PC rather just leave it to DHCP to set the address.

looking here - https://www.router-reset.com/default-ip-address-list/3Com - the gate way address for 3com routers appears to be 192.168.1.1 - but there are others used as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldricky
Grafter

Many thanks, @Townman, for responding.

I had to use 192.168.1.254 some while ago due to an address clash with another device wishing to use 192.168.1.1. Each time it was switched on it caused internet access problems. If I were to change it now there would be a knock affect with other devices at home. The router reset url you gave me makes very useful reading and on a subsequent page states that 192.168.1.254 is not an uncommon address for routers. I chose the '254' address as it seemed the least likely to be chosen by any other wireless device I might. My theory is, it worked before the Windows reinstall - it should work after.

Just to clarify, the 3Com device I refer to is not a router but a wireless link to the Plusnet router, i.e. 3Com USB Aadapter

Thanks again.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

It is usually simpler to leave everything to run as defaults, using DHCP unless you have essential reasons for needing to use fixed IP addresses.  In which case that should be done using DHCP address reservation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldricky
Grafter

@Townman wrote:

It is usually simpler to leave everything to run as defaults,

I totally agree and it's something I prefer to stick to but on this occasion due to another device I couldn't.

Baldricky
Grafter

Fix

Sorry, I meant to close this earlier.....

I found that by installing all XP upgrades to SP3 (downloaded on another machine) my 3Com USB Adapter started talking to the Router. It was a long arduous journey and I think next time this dear old XP box causes me major problems it will be time to replace it. (Life's too short!)