cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will dial-up be faster for me????

hektorshouse
Grafter

Will dial-up be faster for me????

I discovered I had been switched to 21CN ADSL2+ dring what was a 10 day outage and my router did not sync on DSL for the new 21CN Exchange (although worked when tested on another ISP internet connection. Obviously I was overjoyed at the prior notification of the switch and possible incompatibility issues with routers.
To add salt in to open wounds, the ADSL2+ connection is unreliable (took 2 hours to re-establish internet connection this morning (again!!!)) and the speed is attrocious - a step back in several years as far a I am concerned. My sync speed is 288Kb down and 446Kb up. The connection is so slow that simple things like online banking is now a no-no (login connection times out before I can log in) and multi tab browsing impossible.
How long before I can expect acceptable speeds for this service? Since my line should have some sync data history it shouldn't need to go back to the stoneage for speed. The last two weeks have been disastrous PR for Plusnet as far as I am concerned that I am considering changing ISP - since I have been with them for 8 years it's a hard decision to accept. The reason is due to the switchover downtime and speed issues, both I feel should not be existant.
Is there anyone else experiencing these issues?
Adrian
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Will dial-up be faster for me????

My guess is that the 21CN DLM has put you on a 160-288kbps banded profile because of the disconnection/connection problems you mentioned. Until that is lifted you are stuck.
What attenuations and noise margins (upstream and downstream) does your router show (to add to the sync speeds you've already mentioned)? Does your router show transmission error statistics (FEC/CRC/HEC)?
You mentioned it taking 2 hours to re-establish internet connection this morning - did the connection drop on its own or do you switch off the router overnight?
Have you tried plugging the router into the test socket and working through the faults diagnostic process here?
David
bengolia
Grafter

Hi we are having the same issue, sunc is stuck at 288Kb down and 446Kb up, rang PN several times, and opened a post allways the same answert unfortunally tyhat a BT engeneer has tpo visit to check nothing is wrong.
Been tring to explain that this has happened since 2 weeks ago there was a major outage for PN customers and it seems our profile is stuck but to no avail... looks like the only solution is to get a BT guy to come around and notify nothing is wrong here or noone is going to act.

System Up Time 115:47:23

Port       Status       TxPkts       RxPkts       Collisions       Tx B/s       Rx B/s       Up Time          
      WAN       PPPoA       1551797       3067163       0       1091       4832       42:45:00          
      LAN       100M/Full       5164662       3185137       0       3691       1219       115:47:19          
      WLAN       11M/54M       1148399       1018888       0       1431       403       115:47:08          

ADSL Link     Downstream     Upstream    
      Connection Speed       287 kbps       445 kbps  
      Line Attenuation       20 db       7 db  
      Noise Margin       31 db       25 db        
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Adrian,
Can you connect your filter into the test socket. There's been quite a few disconnections so I'd need to rule out any internal wiring issues before I trouble shoot this any further.
Jojo Smiley
hektorshouse
Grafter

Hi Joanne,  Will do tonight. The router is plugged directly into the main BT socket, on a filter with 1 telephone. There are no other units connected or sockets/extensions in the house. The socket was installed by BT last Monday following the switchover.
The current attenuation settings are:
noise margin upstream: 28 db
output power downstream: 0 db
attenuation upstream: 15 db
noise margin downstream: 18 db
output power upstream: 11 db
attenuation downstream: 0 db
Regards
Adrian
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)