cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi is running too slow

Jayden
Hooked

WiFi is running too slow

my WiFi is on fibre WiFi, I’ve done a speed test and I’m getting under 1mb a second and it’s been like this for weeks, I can’t even open chrome and when I do it’s taking nearly 3 minutes.
18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: WiFi is running too slow

@Jayden 

It sounds very much like you have a problem - most likely not in your home/office environment, but more likely in the BT/OR network.

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

John
Jayden
Hooked

When I dial that number it says this number isn’t recognised
jab1
Legend

What - 17070 ?

John
Jayden
Hooked

Well we don’t have a corded phone
jab1
Legend

Do you have a landline phone at all - it certainly won't work  from a mobile.😉

John
Jayden
Hooked

I’m putting the number in correctly just saying the number isn’t recognised
jab1
Legend

On a landline phone? And you are with Plusnet?

John
Jayden
Hooked

Yep we’re with plusnet, we don’t have any landline phones
jab1
Legend

OK. I can't understand why 17070 doesn't work then - it should work for any connection using the BT network. Can you hear any noise on the phone once you lift it/press the 'dial' button?

EDIT: So - no landline handset - can you borrow phone from anyone? 

John
Jayden
Hooked

When I call it says ‘this number isn’t recognised, please check and dial again’ twice then makes like a beeping noise afterwards continuously
jab1
Legend

It will do -it is only available on phones connected to the BT network, not mobiles.

Give me five minutes to think of another approach.

Just so I know how to reply, how much computer/technical knowledge do you have? - not being cheeky, but it helps me to know what questions to ask.

John
Jayden
Hooked

I’m decently well educated on computer side
jab1
Legend

OK - five minutes.

John
jab1
Legend

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John