cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What effect does 60dB have?

geewizz
Grafter

What effect does 60dB have?

I'm off work today and I've been gadding about with the PC and found some stuff about modems .... but not enough to make sense of what i found. Cheesy
What I'm interested in is the difference between the Kitz report about my BT line and the speeds I am getting.
Kitz line check : BT Line Speed Estimation
Fixed ADSL: 2048 kbps (2 Mb)
DSL Max :  3000 kbps (3 Mb)
Actual speeds :

Modem report thingy : see attached pic
Is the 60dB the limiting factor for speeds on my line?
From what I have given is there anything I can do or is there more info I need to find?

23 REPLIES 23
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: What effect does 60dB have?

The attenuation is the limiting factor overall and you can't do anything about that however your noise margin of 24.9dB is something you should look at.
Resynch your router and see what the noise margin/speeds change to.
I would expect that the noise margin will drop to 15dB and the speed increase significantly.
The bit I don't understand is why the noise margin increased so much from about midday when your router reconnected. It would suggest that something in your internal wiring caused a problem. I suggest you try connecting to the connector beneath the lower part of the master socket faceplate and see what the results are
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

With 61dB attenuation 2mbps is about your limit.
However SNRM is normally about 6dB, a higher figure (and yours is extreme) implies noise/errors which means the speed has been dropped (a lot) to compensate.
The trouble is that the BT kit in the exchange can react to bad conditions very quickly, but only recovers slowly - several days Cry
That's assuming you find and eliminate the cause....  Undecided
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Looks like you are not on Max DSL but a fixed 512Kbs speed - which for 60dB is correct on the old IPstream service.
If you have not asked to be changed to ADSL max you need to do so and you will then see your speed increase.
For Max, its the DS SNR value not line attenuation that is important as Max will try and establish the best sync speed until your SNR reaches 6dB (as the speed increases the SNR decreases). You appear to have a higher than normal SNR for a 60dB line. You might want to try in the master socket and also in te test socket behind the lower removable panel of the master socket to see if your line attenuation reduces (gets better) or SNR increases (gets better). The test socket connection will be the best marker for the speed you are likely to get.
Post the figures you hae already when doing the above tests.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
As Peter says you are indeed on a static 512k connection. It might be possible to get a faster speed on max and we'd be more than happy to upgrade this for you though you should be aware that there's a 10 day training period from when you first connect on the Max service.
If there are any issues following the upgrade we can move you back to the static 512k connection if you wish.
Hope that helps,
geewizz
Grafter

I removed the faceplate and tried to find somewhere to plug the modem directly but it wasn't possible. (see attached pics)
I removed the phone from the socket though and fired up the PC again. The numbers are all the same as they were before though.
All this time I thought I was on the "up to 8Mb" thing and it was actually a 512k package?
I feel quite cheated. Sad Especially as I have raised this before and it was implied that there was no reason from Plusnet's side that I couldn't get faster speeds.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=59330.0
Yes please. I would like to try the ADSL Max
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You have a filtered faceplate fitted which is not normal practice so either BT have added this, you have or the previous occupant of the house/flat.
Anyway as you see it has separate ADSL and phone connections and you are using the broadband connect which uses a US style RJ11 connector rather than the BT one.
The test socket is the only socket you see after removing the filtered faceplate so you would need to have an RJ11 -> BT adapter to try it.
In any case the filtered faceplate will actually make your connection cleaner and isolate internal wiring from the connection so your stats are probably the best you will be able to get.
Wait for Max and then post back after 12 days if you are still having speed issues.
geewizz
Grafter

Thanks Peter.
The box was fitted by a BT engineer who was sent out to investigate a crackle on the phone which developed into a small fire. The previous line had been badly fitted into a window frame to avoid drilling the walls. (They're stone and over two feet thick.) I drilled the wall for him and he repaid the favour by fixing that box for me.
I've read up on the Max initiations and I'm ready for some disruption. Bring it on! Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

Sorry about the confusion in my earlier post, I had assumed incorrectly you were on Max already!
With that filtered faceplate you're ideally placed to get the best speed. Whether it's more than 2mbps only time will tell...
What make/model of router have you got? Some can be tweaked more easily than others. And some are better with long lines like yours.  Roll_eyes
geewizz
Grafter

No worries. You weren't alone in assuming I was Max. Even Plusnet staff seemed to think I was on Max ... for months.
I'm still using the Binatone ADSL 500 that is listed on that other thread. http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,59330.0.html
HPsauce
Pro

Provided your PC has a proper Ethernet port you would probably be better off with a router.
I guess PlusNet will provide you with one for the usual delivery fee and no extra charge if you stay for another 12 months.  Wink
geewizz
Grafter

Now I need to find out the difference between a router and ... erm ... whatever a binatone ADSL500 is. What does an etherenet port look like and how do I recognise a proper one? I'll also need to know how much a router costs to buy to compare it with the risk of tying into a 12 month contract. It's going to be a long night Sad
I think I'll move house.
HPsauce
Pro

The Binatone is a USB broadband modem.
PlusNet will advise you whether it is suitable for ADSL Max (I've no idea myself, sorry).
Have a look in Device Manager on your PC and see what Network Adapters are listed.
(if you really don't have a LAN adapter there are cheap USB to LAN adapters available - I use them regularly)
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
PlusNet will advise you whether it is suitable for ADSL Max (I've no idea myself, sorry).

Here's what I got last time I asked about the Binatone ADSL500 :
Quote from: Jameseh
Generally older kit is capable of receiving at least 2Mbps and should be capable of receiving upto 8Mbps.
However, it is possible that it may not be able to receive "Max" speeds, but should be good for more than 500KBps.

... which is not really saying much more than, "it's possible that the modem can handle faster speeds ... but not necessarily."
Have a look in Device Manager on your PC and see what Network Adapters are listed.
(if you really don't have a LAN adapter there are cheap USB to LAN adapters available - I use them regularly)

It appears that I have a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC under Network adapters.
Device status: This device is disabled. (Code 22)
I'm still unable to discern the advantages of a wireless router over the USB modem. I can see that if I had more than one PC then there would be a bonus in having the wireless router but I live on my own and the PC is parked right next to the wall where the aforementioned phone socket is located.
I'm loathe to order a piece of equipment if the modem I have is perfectly adequate for 2Mbps and the maximum speed I can get down the line is 1Mbps.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The differences are:
1) USB modems are (normally) powered from the PC's USB port, routers are stand-alone boxes with separate power. This can be na issue with faster connections where the USB hardware could require more power than the USB port can supply.
2) USB modems need a driver on your PC and the quality of these drivers and what speeds they can handle very variable and difficult to know. A router is self-contained with its own software and can connect independent of the PC.
3) A USB modem requires the PC to 'dial' or initiate the connection whenever you need to access the internet. A router established the connection automatically (once set-up) and keeps the connection independent of the PC.
4) The USB connection itself could limit the speed you can acheive due to limits on the USB interface, especially if you are using USB 1. Routers connect to your Ethernet or network port which is much quicker and far more reliable.
5) Older USB modems like yours were not designed or tested properly on faster than 2Mbs connections and can have problems with noisy / long lines. Recent routers will have been tested properly on >2Mbs lines and some models have a good reputation in dealing with low quality/noisy/long lines.
6) Often USB modems will be less secure in terms of firewall. Routers generally come with a lot more security and a configurable firewall.
7) The USB modem you have will not work with Vista and most other OSs whereas a router will work with ANY OS that supports Ethernet. Just something to consider if you ever changed your PC for something newer / different.
In short, routers are MUCH MUCH better than USB ADSL modems and in many cases you will get a faster, more stable connection with a router than with your USB modem.
Finally PlusNet will supply you with a free router (subject to £6.99 P&P) if you change to or are already on a Broadband Your Way product and will generally be far superior to the USB modem you have. This is subject to staying for a further 12 months. If you leave before this time you have to pay for the router.